HTC.. What are you doing? (Blinkfeed taken over by News Republic)

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ive always loved HTC, even through the rough times of the M9.. their stereo speakers are awesome.. but since the M9 when they partnered with News Republic.. theyve been sliding downhill.. and now in the U Ultra and U11.. N.R has now taken over BlinkFeed..

.. and sadly News Republic is forced upon us if we want to use BlinkFeed for news. Do you know I actually really loved BF on the M8, M9 and even the 10, it was useful, but Ive noticed that on the U11, NR is constantly waking the CPU when phone is sleeping and when your not even using BF at all, but like UpDay used to be on the S7E.

Im actually forced to disable both BF and NR to save battery life... and install G .Newsstand instead for my news. Also, even when you "unfollow" a topic. like Football, or Chinese Politics.. it actually doesnt unfollow at all.. I STILL get those Newsfeeds, even if you open the NR app itself and try to change "content".. it doesnt work either, plus you start getting even more ads..

Now to me, BF was a great part of Sense UI.. and disabling it, is a bit like not using the Stereo Speakers or the camera.. its a major part of HTC phones.. So Im not happy that HTC have handed over BF to NR .. When HTC went stock Google with the 10 to reduce the Bloat on their phones, why didnt they just bake Google News and Weather or Newsstand as BlinkFeed.. or even better let us choose our own RSS / News Agrogate reader.

I do love the awesome Speakers and stunning camera on the U11, but its things like this that make you wonder what HTC are even doing anymore??

How do you folks feel about this.. and has anyone found a way of working WITH NR or a way around it?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Ive always loved HTC, even through the rough times of the M9.. their stereo speakers are awesome.. but since the M9 when they partnered with News Republic.. theyve been sliding downhill.. and now in the U Ultra and U11.. N.R has now taken over BlinkFeed..

.. and sadly News Republic is forced upon us if we want to use BlinkFeed for news. Do you know I actually really loved BF on the M8, M9 and even the 10, it was useful, but Ive noticed that on the U11, NR is constantly waking the CPU when phone is sleeping and when your not even using BF at all, but like UpDay used to be on the S7E.

Im actually forced to disable both BF and NR to save battery life... and install G .Newsstand instead for my news. Also, even when you "unfollow" a topic. like Football, or Chinese Politics.. it actually doesnt unfollow at all.. I STILL get those Newsfeeds, even if you open the NR app itself and try to change "content".. it doesnt work either, plus you start getting even more ads..

Now to me, BF was a great part of Sense UI.. and disabling it, is a bit like not using the Stereo Speakers or the camera.. its a major part of HTC phones.. So Im not happy that HTC have handed over BF to NR .. When HTC went stock Google with the 10 to reduce the Bloat on their phones, why didnt they just bake Google News and Weather or Newsstand as BlinkFeed.. or even better let us choose our own RSS / News Agrogate reader.

I do love the awesome Speakers and stunning camera on the U11, but its things like this that make you wonder what HTC are even doing anymore??

How do you folks feel about this.. and has anyone found a way of working WITH NR or a way around it?

I've not used blinkfeed since the M7. I've always removed the pane on the left. I used Google now since then. I'm pretty sure blinkfeed was overrun with News Republic since the M9. The 10 never had solo blinkfeed. It's was always b.f./n.r.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
You can customize the topics and add your favorite sites and it works without News Republic. Dont see this as a big deal given that you can remove and add your stuff.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You can customize the topics and add your favorite sites and it works without News Republic. Dont see this as a big deal given that you can remove and add your stuff.

I do know you can add your own content, but how have you managed to Trim down N.R.. C
an you give my a few pointers how you did it plse?

HEXUS, I think ZOE is actually ok, but I agree... It's not what it was in the M8 days though and to me, BF is part of getting an HTC... So I prefer to have it. I must admit, I do like the clean UI on Newsstand, but tend to find The.G. Now news a bit limited, but back in the M9 days Now.R wasn't anywhere near as obtrusive as it is now

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood