Screen Crack from Squeezing

supaeuro

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I really liked my U11 until this afternoon. I actually use the squeeze function to open the camera, and like the feature. I never over squeeze it and have the sensitivity turned up.

Today I went to squeeze and the screen cracked. WTF!?!?

I have never dropped it and its been in the Spigen case since day 1. About to contact HTC soon, do you think I'll have to pay or would this be covered under any warranty?

H11.jpgh112.jpgh113.jpg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry that happened to you! Can't believe that could happen, especially since squeezing the phone like so is part of its normal functioning. I would assume they would cover it since the phone hadn't been damaged by drops, water, etc. Let us know what happens!

Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Yeah but this has been reported On the web from other users sucks I just don't use the squeeze function not a fan

supaeuro

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Contacted HTC via their chat. They want me to send the phone to their Houston office and will determine cause of crack.
They said plan to wait at least 5 weeks if screen is to be replaced.
I'll keep you guys updated.

Back to the Honor 8 for now.

supaeuro

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Contacted HTC via their chat. They want me to send the phone to their Houston office and will determine cause of crack.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for keeping us updated! Wow, five weeks is a long time! Glad you have a backup phone though - and an Honor 8 to boot! That's what I'm using as well! Hope your phone gets fixed sooner than the five-week timeline!

supaeuro

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Update: still nothing from HTC. The "HTC Repair Tracker" still shows no updates. I contacted HTC and they have no updates other than the phone has been received.
I was expecting a good 5 weeks without the U11 as the screens are on backorder, but 5 weeks to start the process and most likely another 5 to order the screen???

scott1001001

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I had the Pixel 2 Plus for one day and the screen where the squeeze mechanism started to fade to a dark, like the pixels we're dimming.. sent back for refund.

Any update on your U11?

supaeuro

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
No real updates. I logged onto the HTC Repair Tracker tool and it shows "in repair". I did a HTC support chat and they said they have no updates.
When I first sent in they said they would update me if under factor warranty before repairing. I've gotten no update.
I asked if they could tell me if the replacement screen has been ordered or if they could expand on "in repair", they couldn't.
Going on 2 months and I believe the screen hasnt even been ordered.

curseoftheninja

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like my warranty repair story. My issue is about the home button/fingerprint scanner no longer working. It's been a month and I've heard nothing. The tracker site says "received," but other than that I have no idea what's up. HTC chat said there's a part on backorder. They truly are terrible when it comes to warranty issues.

scott1001001

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Paste your issue everywhere, their Facebook, Twitter, BBB. Contact them via phone, ask for a manager, contract HTC USA, insist on speaking to someone beyond front line support.

curseoftheninja

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have tried this, and it gets you no where. They simply say "sorry, we are waiting on back-ordered parts"

Do you know how to contact the BBB? That's the one I haven't done yet

supaeuro

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree, asking for a manager or even a contact within the Houston, TX repair facility gets you no where. They are unable to quote any time frame on repair and they have already had the phone for a month!?

curseoftheninja

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I tried to get a refund or have them send me a different phone, but they wouldn't budge. I am never buying HTC again, which is a shame because the U11 is such a great phone when it works properly.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought 4 of the U11s from Sprint (pre release price of $300 plus 2 Echo Dots with each phone). 2 U11s have cracked screens from minor falls. I am waiting to see if Sprint can get one fixed. Sprint sent one of the cracked phones to their repair facility and state a 5-7 day turn around for screen replacement at about $200. Hopefully, the phone comes back next week with new screen. In the meantime, Sprint gives a free loaner phone with case. It's a basic LG, and my son says the battery life is terrible. Luckily he has an external battery/charger. Will update next week on the success or failure of the repair. Back in June when the screens broke, Sprint could not repair them, and I had called HTC and initiated warranty work, only to be told it would be at least 2 months until they had parts. Maybe Sprint has all the parts, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz