Thinking of importing the U11+, but need opinions

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
As the title says, I'm thinking of importing the U11+ for use on T-Mobile to replace my Nexus 6P (it still runs well, and I just had the battery replaced), since it apparently supports band 4 LTE, which I am on. I love the fact that the phone has that huge battery, and I'd love to have a phone with BoomSound audio. I have a few things holding me back, though. First, is the lack of US warranty. Second is the lack of support with regard to accessories. Finally, I have questions with the software.

Granted, my first and only HTC phone was the T-Mobile MyTouch Slide, and my best friend had an Amaze which she really liked, until it suddenly crapped out on her. She has always been invested in iOS, but she's not averse to Android, now having a 6P herself. Anyway, she thinks I should go for the Note 8, but while the screen on the Note 8 is amazing, I HATE TouchWiz, or Samsung Experience, or whatever they're calling it now. I hated it on my S3 because of the lag, and while things may have changed since, lag is just to be expected on Samsung phones, no matter what. I also hate the placement of the fingerprint scanner.

Sigh, basically, whatever I go with, I'll be stuck with for a couple of years, so I'm just worried about the logistics of importing this phone. But being as excited I was for the Pixel 2 XL, its myriad of issues won't allow me to spend $850 for it. Also, knowing now that the U11+ was *supposed* to be the Pixel 2 XL, but Google scrapped it, makes me want it as a F. U. to them.

So, what feedback can you guys give me as more recent HTC users? How's the software treating you? How's the battery life, including stand by? How's the screen visibility in daylight? Any of the screen quality issues that are found on AMOLED screens? How about the update frequency?

Do you guys think I should go for the U11+, or wait for a US released U12? OR should I wait for 2018 with Samsung's phones and Google's 3 XL? Apologies for the long post, but I want to be sure I'm making the right choice with my money.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

nileshdd

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am in the exact same situation as you. I am on TMO and want to import the u11+ too. However, I am currently using the U11 so I can try to answer some of your questions.

1) The software is excellent. it's fast. doesn't lag. I have not seen any major buggy behavior except sometimes the haptic feedback on the fingerprint sensor stops working. I had the S6 Edge before this and I will not go back to Samsung. the phone was not bad but I can't stand touchwiz. I like the U11 and with Oreo coming, I think it will get even better.

2) Battery life is average for me. the phone last till sleep time. on an average, 17-20 hrs.

3) Screen visibility is excellent. no issues whatsoever. no ghosting, no burn in. it's just a very good screen. no concerns at all.

4) I have got I think 3-4 updates in the 4 months I have had this phone. it's on the Oct security patch.

Lack of warranty for U11+ in US is definitely a concern. Also, it doesn't have bands 2, 66 that TMO uses for lte. it does have 4 and 12 and my phone is almost always on 4. So, it should be fine but you should know.

Overall, I am still interested in importing it, but yes, I do have a backup if something really goes wrong.

hope this helps.

CharlesBPompidou

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Lack of Warranty on a $800 glass phone? Suit yourself, I guess!
I loved my HTC U11 until the middle button stopped working out of NOWHERE. And they ask me to send in my phone for a free repair, cool, but it would mean 20 days without it and I am nothing but a youngster who invested a good stack on a phone for the first time. (I dont have a working backup phone, I saved up for this one) Boy arent I disappointed with HTC.
They make a phone out of glass and take away the "uh oh protection".... pretty clear to me by now, this is my last experience with HTC ever...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084