Decembers security patch or January

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah I'm having such bad battery life right now I think because of the 8.0 update since the pixels were having the same kind of issue heres going that the update will fix it.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
so we got December 1st security patch instead of December 5th which had more bug fixes. in less correct me if I'm wrong that is only for the pixels I think the battery hopefully bug fix was in the December 1st security patch. if I'm experiencing battery life problems still should I do chassis partition wipe and then if I'm still experiencing a bit of battery life problems should I have been do a factory reset. just trying to figure out but I probably should give a couple days since I just did the update at about 1 in the morning. hope my battery life improve the next couple days getting tired of having to charge my phone and middle of the day. I'm curious on if anyone else had battery problems after upgrading to 8.0. is after doing me security update which was supposed to have some of those fixes in it. if anyone has seen improvements.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
yeah I'm having such bad battery life right now I think because of the 8.0 update since the pixels were having the same kind of issue heres going that the update will fix it.

I just commented in the other update thread, this is a better place to post this: my battery life actually went down significantly after the December update. I was usually at 50-60% remaining at the end of the day with my usual usage, and now I'm less than 30 by 8PM when barely using the phone. And I'm 100% certain the drop happened after the update.

Anybody else seeing that?

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I just commented in the other update thread, this is a better place to post this: my battery life actually went down significantly after the December update. I was usually at 50-60% remaining at the end of the day with my usual usage, and now I'm less than 30 by 8PM when barely using the phone. And I'm 100% certain the drop happened after the update.

Anybody else seeing that?

I did yes. Then I did a FDR and I'm seeing this kind of battery life consistently now.

Attachments

• 4611.jpg
    4611.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 93

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it does suck but, sometimes it's a necessary evil for the maintenance of your device...

That is true sometimes it is necessary to factory data reset your phone. But you shouldn't have to. I'm at 75% and barely use my phone I've only been unplugged about an hour and 15 minutes but having such bad battery life since the 8.0 update. I haven't seen any change in December security patch. So once I find time I may have to factory data reset. I mean it doesn't take that long and only takes about 2 hours now and if it does help and that's all that matters. But you really shouldn't have to. I may have to find time in a week or two so for now good thing there's portable chargers. Because I did factory reset my phone after the 8.0 update. and that did not help.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
That is true sometimes it is necessary to factory data reset your phone. But you shouldn't have to. I'm at 75% and barely use my phone I've only been unplugged about an hour and 15 minutes but having such bad battery life since the 8.0 update. I haven't seen any change in December security patch. So once I find time I may have to factory data reset. I mean it doesn't take that long and only takes about 2 hours now and if it does help and that's all that matters. But you really shouldn't have to. I may have to find time in a week or two so for now good thing there's portable chargers. Because I did factory reset my phone after the 8.0 update. and that did not help.

So you're saying you should never have to maintain your devices software or hardware? I posted this in another thread.vvvvvvvvvvvvv

"People seem to forget, everything needs maintenance. People say, "well I paid xxx amount of dollars on a phone, it should just work". Ok well, people also pay thousands of dollars for granite countertops and guess what, they require maintenance. People pay millions for IT solutions, servers, techs and all that. Guess what, every computer and server needs maintenance. Your phone is no different. If you can't learn how to maintain your phone then maybe buy a flip phone. My m9, aside from a little battery degradation, runs as it did the day I got it. It is my universal remote and my 8 year olds mp3 player. My 10 is mine and/or my wife's backup phone and a home Media device as I use it for most of my casting to the CC or fire stick. Learn how to maintain your.devices and they'll last a very long time."

Your device requires maintenance. A lot of the times, performance issues have to do with ART(the runtime service that provides the digital environment required for.your apps to run)
The update happens and something goes wrong in the environment which causes the software to send out erroneous packets and wake locks.. Therefore consuming battery life. Sometimes your apps aren't on the same API level as the new update and the app isn't optimized. Therefore, constantly running in the background, wake locks, buggy performance, etc, etc... My point is, probably 80% percent of the time, the lack of performance is do to Google's own runtime environment or the apps you use.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying you should never have to maintain your devices software or hardware? I posted this in another thread.vvvvvvvvvvvvv

"People seem to forget, everything needs maintenance. People say, "well I paid xxx amount of dollars on a phone, it should just work". Ok well, people also pay thousands of dollars for granite countertops and guess what, they require maintenance. People pay millions for IT solutions, servers, techs and all that. Guess what, every computer and server needs maintenance. Your phone is no different. If you can't learn how to maintain your phone then maybe buy a flip phone. My m9, aside from a little battery degradation, runs as it did the day I got it. It is my universal remote and my 8 year olds mp3 player. My 10 is mine and/or my wife's backup phone and a home Media device as I use it for most of my casting to the CC or fire stick. Learn how to maintain your.devices and they'll last a very long time."

Your device requires maintenance. A lot of the times, performance issues have to do with ART(the runtime service that provides the digital environment required for.your apps to run)
The update happens and something goes wrong in the environment which causes the software to send out erroneous packets and wake locks.. Therefore consuming battery life. Sometimes your apps aren't on the same API level as the new update and the app isn't optimized. Therefore, constantly running in the background, wake locks, buggy performance, etc, etc... My point is, probably 80% percent of the time, the lack of performance is do to Google's own runtime environment or the apps you use.

So I have been using Android for roughly six years now just like you and I have never had to do a factory reset my device has just worked. I have a degree in software engineering and know devices need maintenance however you should not have to do a factory data reset every time you get a security update because then you're doing that every month and that is a pain. And that shows that the software developer mean Google or HTC after downloading the patch from Google are not testing enough to make sure there's no bugs.

So are you telling me that I'm going to have to do a factory data reset every time I get update or security patch cuz I have only had two maybe do that three times out of six different Android phone that I have owned. Now I admit that Google has made it easier to restore your phone then before.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Maintenance. Phones from the previous years aren't as complicated back then. Hell, Dalvik could probably handle things better when ART first came out, but ART was the next step. ART brought AoT. It's just that the processes these CPUs use to do all the things you want them to do have become exponentially more complicated. Hence the 64 bit architecture. Hence the smaller and smaller nM processes. If you have a software engineering degree then you should understand that this is becoming a windows-like OS. And guess what, all windows OSs require maintenance. The further and further we advance in this tech space, the more and more complicated things are going to get. That's how this works. Yes, in theory, they should just work. Real life and historical data tells me that it's only going to come with more and/or different hiccups along the way.

WeirderHealer13

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I am also seeing the same poor battery standby times after the December patch on my U11. After the Oreo update, battery life was was still as good as it was on Nougat - about 2 days of moderate use.

I first thought it was a few rogue apps including the Microsoft Launcher using 27% battery which I started using again after the December patch and Accuweather using excessive bluetooth scanning according to the Boost+ app. Uninstalling the MS Launcher yesterday helped but I removed AccuWeather a short time ago and I haven't noticed any improvements (maybe bluetooth scanning doesn't matter).

I have owned many HTC phones and you could call me a fanboy but I haven't had to FDR restore any of the them prior to selling them after upgrading to the newer models. I just hope it makes an improvement.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Maintenance. Phones from the previous years aren't as complicated back then. Hell, Dalvik could probably handle things better when ART first came out, but ART was the next step. ART brought AoT. It's just that the processes these CPUs use to do all the things you want them to do have become exponentially more complicated. Hence the 64 bit architecture. Hence the smaller and smaller nM processes. If you have a software engineering degree then you should understand that this is becoming a windows-like OS. And guess what, all windows OSs require maintenance. The further and further we advance in this tech space, the more and more complicated things are going to get. That's how this works. Yes, in theory, they should just work. Real life and historical data tells me that it's only going to come with more and/or different hiccups along the way.

The problem with your coats of that's becoming more like a Windows OS is that I don't have to factory reset my Windows in order to get it working right I didn't have to be buggy or through a disc cleaning of the memory and the Rams we don't have those kind of tools with these phones. You should not have the factory data reset your phone every time you get an update or every time you get a security update. That is just unreasonable for manufacturers to expect of customers in order to keep their phones working well. Now I can understand clearing the cache of your phone or clearing the cache of the applications that you use. But just like my Surface Pro 4 I should not have to factory reset my computer after an update in order to make sure it's working correctly we have other tools to debug are computers that we do not with Android phone. Asking us to fully factory reset our phones in the ultimate goal to hopefully fix an issue is fine in some cases.
However for my case when I got 8.0 I did do a factory reset that I did not help my battery problems I went through every troubleshooting in the book that you can go through such as clearing the cache partition of the phone. And even going as far as factory setting my phone. Then I waited for the December security patch which was supposed to fix battery issues. Like people who had pixel 2 and other Google phones were having and Google release 8.1 with December 5th security update. but we did not get that we got half the fixes. So you telling me that if I treat others there's always going to fix issues is wrong. I'm going to do it one more time because I don't have anything that would be Lose. But saying you have to do a factory data reset every time you get a security update is a ridiculous notion.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I never said you have to do a FDR "every time" you get a security update. What I'm saying is, sometimes it's necessary. You're looking for an argument where as I was looking to educate. Take it or leave it.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I never said you have to do a FDR "every time" you get a security update. What I'm saying is, sometimes it's necessary. You're looking for an argument where as I was looking to educate. Take it or leave it.

My apologies I was not looking for an argument. I understand maintenance and we're necessarily having to do a factory data reset like I'm going to try again it will be the second time in two to three months. And see how it does, I understand that you did an FDR after December security update and your battery life is better.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I am also seeing the same poor battery standby times after the December patch on my U11. After the Oreo update, battery life was was still as good as it was on Nougat - about 2 days of moderate use.

Yes, this is pretty much what I've seen -- it's simply using more battery on standby with no obvious culprit. And like you, my battery life remained excellent after Oreo and only fell off after the latest update.

Part of me suspects it's due to a Spectre patch, but of course I have zero evidence for it. My own problem with doing an FDR is that I have the darn thing setup exactly as I want it -- all of the extraneous HTC Sense stuff turned off, my smartwatch configured perfectly (which is more of a pain than it should be), and the Alexa stuff optimized for me.

So again, just grrr. Not the end of the world, it's just I'm really busy this week and it's a bad time to both have poor battery life and need to do an FDR and get everything setup again. Another week and it wouldn't bug me so much. Toss in the fact that I'm not 100% certain the FDR will actually resolve the problem.