Good bye HTC

gtpred99

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
So a week ago Monday, I dropped my U11 on the concrete and cracked the screen. I went to the Sprint store and they sent it in to be repaired. I had a sneaking suspicion that I would not be getting a U11, as Sprint no longer lists the U11 as a choice on their website, and HTC website has the Sprint variant listed as out of stock. You probably have already guessed that my replacement is a Galaxy S8. The S8 is an impressive piece of hardware to be sure, but in the few days that I've been using it, here are some of my complaints. The finger prints scanner. The position is awkward at best, and not as fast and reliable as the U11. No boom sound, enough said. The power button is nowhere near as prominent and tactical. And Bixby, I've disabled it, now I have a button on my phone that does nothing. There are some things that I like about the S8. The screen is gorgeous, build quality is excellent, and their are a ton of options to customize in the settings. Almost to many. This phone is loaded with bloatware from Samsung and Sprint. It makes me wonder if I will experience the "Samsung lag". I know there will be some "break in time" for me, but I can't help lament the fact that for the first time since the HTC Hero, I'm not holding a HTC device. How the mighty have fallen.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I am wondering the same thing. I was late to the game with the 9 10 and 11. The 12 just looks to big and there is no way I will go with Samsung. I don't know what I am going to do when mine dies. I love having the fingerprint sensor on the front. I really like the squeeze thing to take photos. I guess my only option will be a pixel

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that Sprint no longer has replacement screens for the U11 or that through Sprint insurance you got an S8? Previously (last July) Sprint could repair the screen in less than 5 business days.

gtpred99

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying that Sprint no longer has replacement screens for the U11 or that through Sprint insurance you got an S8? Previously (last July) Sprint could repair the screen in less than 5 business days.

I took it to the Sprint store and they couldn't fix it in house, so it was sent off to be repaired. Asurion said It couldn't be repaired and didn't have any U11's to replace it with.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I took it to the Sprint store and they couldn't fix it in house, so it was sent off to be repaired. Asurion said It couldn't be repaired and didn't have any U11's to replace it with.

A few months after 10 U11 was released, parts for the 10 and replacement 10's were no longer available. I see the same thing happening for the U11. HTC orphans their devices rather quickly. I was surprised when they finally put out a security patch for the U11.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I finally jumped ship and got a new Note 9. I've had almost every HTC flagship sing the OG EVO. I've hated Samsung's UI and swore I'd never switch. My U 11 has been getting a little buggy, including the whole edge thing which started freaking out just after I sent mine in to get the usb port replaced. I've been very careful not to put any stress on the port and its getting a little loose again and I know theres probably not any more customer service left and probably no more updates.

The Note 9 is a very impressive unit and the UI is a lot more refined than it used to be. The camera is top notch. The audio is alright, but not even close to the quality I'm used to using the u 11 headphones. I'm going to give it a fair trial, and I think I'm going to like it. The rear finger print sensor took some getting used to, but makes sense and is fast as hell. I'm keeping my U11 for back up, just in case, for now. Its been a good run HTC......

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I am going to keep my U11 with the broken screen on Sprint and get something else next June when it is paid off. My son's with the repaired screen and wife's and daughter's are all running fine. I, too, like the audio (but the Bluewave Get is the best way to use wired headphones via BT.) For work I have a 2 year old iPhone 7+, and I am going to upgrade to the Xs on Verizon in a week. I like having 2 phones, one for work and one for personal use. There is balance in the Force when I have Android and iOS. But I will jump ship from HTC next spring given the lack of Sprint availability.

nileshdd

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Can I ask which channel did you file the claim on with Asurion? Did you use the website, call in or use their chatbot?

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, after having almost exclusively HTC phones over the past 10 years (just a one year break when I had a Moto X Pure), the time has come for me to bid farewell to HTC phones - I was meh on the U12+ and I'm not optimistic about them as a viable choice in the future. I am ordering a Pixel 3 later this week, have played around with it some in person and it is the next phone for me. It has been a great and satisfying run with HTC, and I will still keep my U11 around as my backup phone.

realtor007

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
Dropped my u11 on the concrete without a case and cracked the screen. I am now dropping Sprint and bought a U12 to take to TMobile. Good bye Sprint, hello T Mobile

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
That's the way Asurion works. If they do not have a refurb unit of your model, they send you what they think is comparable. I had that problem when I had my M8, and they sent me an M9 instead. I returned it. When I got the U11, they said it would be replaced with something else if there was a claim, so I cancelled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12