05-28-2018 10:55 PM
36 12
tools
    I've never heard of carriers blocking any feature on any phone in the UK! I think they'll find themselves in trouble. Tethering is the only thing I've seen and it is to do with the contract itself that you accept and sign for, and even that, I've only seen it once with Three mobile on SIM only.

These companies need to get a grip! Wifi calling is available on all carriers as far as I know.
    05-27-2018 11:13 AM
    I've never heard of carriers blocking any feature on any phone in the UK! I think they'll find themselves in trouble. Tethering is the only thing I've seen and it is to do with the contract itself that you accept and sign for, and even that, I've only seen it once with Three mobile on SIM only.

These companies need to get a grip! Wifi calling is available on all carriers as far as I know.
    Carriers in the US can pretty much do anything they want with the phones they sell in their stores, iPhone excluded. Apple is the only company that doesn't bow to the carriers. For example, on my AT&T HTC One M8, AT&T blocked the flashlight function for some unknown reason. I had to download a 3rd party app just to use the camera flash as a flashlight. Verizon is the worst about it though.

It's also up to the carriers whether or not updates are approved if bought from a carrier store. Apple and Google are the only ones that get updates direct from the manufacturer.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    05-27-2018 11:19 AM
    Could you elaborate more on how you know this to be true?
    I own the AT&T BlackBerry KEYone purchased directly from AT&T. When my AT&T femto tower signal booster, I contacted AT&T to purchase another. I was told boosters were no longer sold because Wifi calling and VoLTE were the preferred solutions now. I explained that although my device was on Wifi and VoLTE enhanced features turned on, I was having reception issues. Tech support confirmed that although I have VoLTE, even AT&T carrier locked KEYone does not have access to WiFi calling on AT&T network and no further explanation is available.
    05-27-2018 02:29 PM
    See, I think more OEMs should start backing carriers in a corner as Apple does. I love that Apple has them in a position to be what they are, dumb pipes. All it would really take is for Samsung to stand up to them, then the smaller manufacturers would have a leg to stand on.
    That won’t happen because that gives them competitive advantage over the other Android OEMs.
    05-27-2018 02:33 PM
    That won’t happen because that gives them competitive advantage over the other Android OEMs.
    Samsung is all about competitive advantages though.
    05-27-2018 03:36 PM
    Yeah, seems that they keep shooting themselves in the foot. I understand it's more money to put in stores but lack of availability in stores is a big issue for most users. Repairs/replacements are a hassle through HTC. We live in a world of convenience, this process isn't convenient for the average end user. I've owned every HTC phone since the OG Evo with the exception of u11 & now more than likely the u12+.

Just the other day I was getting my car serviced. The guy loved my HTC 10. I told him he should look up u12+ if he thought my phone was good. He did and loved it. He wanted it so bad. He asked if I knew when it would be available alin stores. I explained that it wouldn't + how it worked, I saw the light go out in his eyes.... The convo ended with a "bummer" comment from him.

I've always wanted HTC to succeed so it frustrating seeing them behind the 8 ball re marketing/availability.
    NavyGreen likes this.
    05-28-2018 08:09 AM
    They at least need to take advantage of free marketing in the form of social media. The last I checked, LG didn't even trade the G7 leading up to it nor did they promote it heavily in the days after. Same with HTC although I'm not on Instagram right now so I'm not sure if that's changed. If they're going to forego the carrier route they need to blitz social media heavy.
    TheJediGoddess likes this.
    05-28-2018 09:46 AM
    They at least need to take advantage of free marketing in the form of social media. The last I checked, LG didn't even trade the G7 leading up to it nor did they promote it heavily in the days after. Same with HTC although I'm not on Instagram right now so I'm not sure if that's changed. If they're going to forego the carrier route they need to blitz social media heavy.
    HTC has been promoting the U12+ pretty heavily on Instagram, but I'm sure most people scroll right past the sponsored posts without really looking at them.
    05-28-2018 09:56 AM
    I own the AT&T BlackBerry KEYone purchased directly from AT&T. When my AT&T femto tower signal booster, I contacted AT&T to purchase another. I was told boosters were no longer sold because Wifi calling and VoLTE were the preferred solutions now. I explained that although my device was on Wifi and VoLTE enhanced features turned on, I was having reception issues. Tech support confirmed that although I have VoLTE, even AT&T carrier locked KEYone does not have access to WiFi calling on AT&T network and no further explanation is available.
    What does BlackBerry need to do to get it working?
    05-28-2018 03:44 PM
    HTC has been promoting the U12+ pretty heavily on Instagram, but I'm sure most people scroll right past the sponsored posts without really looking at them.
    Well at least people will see the phone then. They have to at least do that.
    05-28-2018 03:49 PM
    What does BlackBerry need to do to get it working?
    AT&T wouldn't tell me. Just confirmed it's blocked at carrier level is most they'll confirm.
    05-28-2018 10:55 PM
36 12