Do these guys really want to sell phones?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yup, that's a huge factor as to why I returned the XZ2. HTC has a great track record with ensuring the unlocked phones are properly certified. I don't know why they'd pull back now.

The quote I posted earlier that the VP of product said that the phones were tested by the carriers means it won't be any problem.

"Instead, the U12+ comes fully tested by each of the three carriers. You can get carrier-specific units in 64 GB form, or fully unlocked versions"

I'm just hoping that I didn't need to select my "carrier-specific unit" instead of unlocked.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It happens a lot with unlocked phones. For example, on the Xperia XZ2/Compact, VoLTE and wifi calling are not supported by TMo even though the phone has the ability.

But what are the steps to get it working?

What are the carriers blocking?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
But what are the steps to get it working?

What are the carriers blocking?

I'm assuming the same way they block tethering. When the carrier's systems see the phone is trying to connect in an unapproved way, it blocks it. Carriers can check the IMEi of phones accessing its systems. If it's a non-approved device it blocks access to certain services.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
At least on T-Mobile most unlocked phones do get WiFi calling and VoLTE. T-Mobile is not like AT&T where these features aren't available on unlocked phones. Sure there are few unlocked phones that don't have WiFi calling and VoLTE on T-Mobile like for example latest Sony XZ2 flagship but that's more of Sony fault and don't think TMobile is doing anything to block it. Heck even OnePlus 6 has VoLTE and WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

Overall I have been really happy buying using non carrier unlocked phones on T-Mobile. Been a while since I used a carrier crapped up branded phone and couldn't be more happier.

As for as sales, yeah it's going to hurt not being on carrier stores since people only buy carrier branded phones. Unless you are Samsung, carriers don't work with anyone else very well in the US. With Apple they don't have a choice, Apple treats the carriers like **** but the carriers have no power when it comes to Apple and have to carry them. For other Android OEMs they don't have the budget and market presence to push carriers (chicken and egg problem). At least in US it's a done deal between Samsung and Apple for majority sales. The niche knowledgeable market which is relatively small will probably shop around and willing to buy outside of carriers.

At least the U12+ is on Amazon, who have great customer service. I have placed my pre order from them, let's see how it goes once I've receive it in June.

PS: Yes there is LG, Motorola etc who have carrier relations in US. But they don't seem that great compared to Samsung, Apple.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Apple treats the carriers like **** but the carriers have no power when it comes to Apple and have to carry them.

See, I think more OEMs should start backing carriers in a corner as Apple does. I love that Apple has them in a position to be what they are, dumb pipes. All it would really take is for Samsung to stand up to them, then the smaller manufacturers would have a leg to stand on.

anon(10464842)

May 24, 2018
Visit site
I've never heard of carriers blocking any feature on any phone in the UK! I think they'll find themselves in trouble. Tethering is the only thing I've seen and it is to do with the contract itself that you accept and sign for, and even that, I've only seen it once with Three mobile on SIM only.

These companies need to get a grip! Wifi calling is available on all carriers as far as I know.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've never heard of carriers blocking any feature on any phone in the UK! I think they'll find themselves in trouble. Tethering is the only thing I've seen and it is to do with the contract itself that you accept and sign for, and even that, I've only seen it once with Three mobile on SIM only.

These companies need to get a grip! Wifi calling is available on all carriers as far as I know.

Carriers in the US can pretty much do anything they want with the phones they sell in their stores, iPhone excluded. Apple is the only company that doesn't bow to the carriers. For example, on my AT&T HTC One M8, AT&T blocked the flashlight function for some unknown reason. I had to download a 3rd party app just to use the camera flash as a flashlight. Verizon is the worst about it though.

It's also up to the carriers whether or not updates are approved if bought from a carrier store. Apple and Google are the only ones that get updates direct from the manufacturer.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Could you elaborate more on how you know this to be true?

I own the AT&T BlackBerry KEYone purchased directly from AT&T. When my AT&T femto tower signal booster, I contacted AT&T to purchase another. I was told boosters were no longer sold because Wifi calling and VoLTE were the preferred solutions now. I explained that although my device was on Wifi and VoLTE enhanced features turned on, I was having reception issues. Tech support confirmed that although I have VoLTE, even AT&T carrier locked KEYone does not have access to WiFi calling on AT&T network and no further explanation is available.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
See, I think more OEMs should start backing carriers in a corner as Apple does. I love that Apple has them in a position to be what they are, dumb pipes. All it would really take is for Samsung to stand up to them, then the smaller manufacturers would have a leg to stand on.

That won’t happen because that gives them competitive advantage over the other Android OEMs.

TheJediGoddess

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, seems that they keep shooting themselves in the foot. I understand it's more money to put in stores but lack of availability in stores is a big issue for most users. Repairs/replacements are a hassle through HTC. We live in a world of convenience, this process isn't convenient for the average end user. I've owned every HTC phone since the OG Evo with the exception of u11 & now more than likely the u12+.

Just the other day I was getting my car serviced. The guy loved my HTC 10. I told him he should look up u12+ if he thought my phone was good. He did and loved it. He wanted it so bad. He asked if I knew when it would be available alin stores. I explained that it wouldn't + how it worked, I saw the light go out in his eyes.... The convo ended with a "bummer" comment from him.

I've always wanted HTC to succeed so it frustrating seeing them behind the 8 ball re marketing/availability.

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
They at least need to take advantage of free marketing in the form of social media. The last I checked, LG didn't even trade the G7 leading up to it nor did they promote it heavily in the days after. Same with HTC although I'm not on Instagram right now so I'm not sure if that's changed. If they're going to forego the carrier route they need to blitz social media heavy.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
They at least need to take advantage of free marketing in the form of social media. The last I checked, LG didn't even trade the G7 leading up to it nor did they promote it heavily in the days after. Same with HTC although I'm not on Instagram right now so I'm not sure if that's changed. If they're going to forego the carrier route they need to blitz social media heavy.

HTC has been promoting the U12+ pretty heavily on Instagram, but I'm sure most people scroll right past the sponsored posts without really looking at them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I own the AT&T BlackBerry KEYone purchased directly from AT&T. When my AT&T femto tower signal booster, I contacted AT&T to purchase another. I was told boosters were no longer sold because Wifi calling and VoLTE were the preferred solutions now. I explained that although my device was on Wifi and VoLTE enhanced features turned on, I was having reception issues. Tech support confirmed that although I have VoLTE, even AT&T carrier locked KEYone does not have access to WiFi calling on AT&T network and no further explanation is available.

What does BlackBerry need to do to get it working?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
HTC has been promoting the U12+ pretty heavily on Instagram, but I'm sure most people scroll right past the sponsored posts without really looking at them.
Well at least people will see the phone then. They have to at least do that.