Verizon U12+ vs. Unlocked U12+

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
If you go to the HTC site, they're selling U12+ phone is both Verizon variants and Unlocked variants. They say that the Unlocked phones are compatible with Verizon so what exactly is the difference between the two versions? The both have the same bands enabled so it must be some difference in software.

Is it that the Verizon variants are already whitelisted for the VZW and has Wifi-callling and Advanced Calling features enabled or is there something else. Or is it just as simple as the Verizon variant has a SIM card included?

Has anyone else researched this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon U12+ vs. Unclocked U12+

If you go to the HTC site, they're selling U12+ phone is both Verizon variants and Unlocked variants. They say that the Unlocked phones are compatible with Verizon so what exactly is the difference between the two versions? The both have the same bands enabled so it must be some difference in software.

Is it that the Verizon variants are already whitelisted for the VZW and has Wifi-callling and Advanced Calling features enabled or is there something else. Or is it just as simple as the Verizon variant has a SIM card included?

Has anyone else researched this issue?

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all the same phone, and they're hoping that clicking on your actual service provider may make you feel more comfortable buying an unlocked phone.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all the same phone, and they're hoping that clicking on your actual service provider may make you feel more comfortable buying an unlocked phone.

I know there are issues between ATT variants and Unlocked phones where ATT would refuse to whitelist the IMEI on their network for features such as Wifi-calling and Advanced Calling on unlocked phones. It wouldn't surprise me if this applies to the VZW variants as well.

Has anyone actually inquired about this to HTC?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference is the SIM that is included.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

I just chatted with HTC through their website. Here's my conversation:

ME: If the U12+ isn't being sold by the US carriers, why do you list 3 different models for the 3 carriers? is there any difference between those and the unlocked version?

HTC: To answer your question, the phone only comes with the unlocked version. The list of carriers that you see over it's only so people can know which ones are the main carriers the phone supports.

ME: Ok thanks. So when you select one of the 4 models, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Unlocked... It's all the same phone?

HTC: Yes, That is correct! If you choose any of those, you'll select either way the unlocked version.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

I just chatted with HTC through their website. Here's my conversation:

ME: If the U12+ isn't being sold by the US carriers, why do you list 3 different models for the 3 carriers? is there any difference between those and the unlocked version?

HTC: To answer your question, the phone only comes with the unlocked version. The list of carriers that you see over it's only so people can know which ones are the main carriers the phone supports.

ME: Ok thanks. So when you select one of the 4 models, AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Unlocked... It's all the same phone?

HTC: Yes, That is correct! If you choose any of those, you'll select either way the unlocked version.

Thanks. So the assumption that the IMEIs are whitelisted for the Unlocked variants to enable Wife-calling/Advanced Calling on the VZW network is correct hopefully. This would be similar to how the unlocked Pixel 2/2XLs ordered directly from Google behaves (at least on the Verizon network).

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. So the assumption that the IMEIs are whitelisted for the Unlocked variants to enable Wife-calling/Advanced Calling on the VZW network is correct hopefully. This would be similar to how the unlocked Pixel 2/2XLs ordered directly from Google behaves (at least on the Verizon network).

I believe that's up to the carriers. With my unlocked 10, I was able to use VoLTE on AT&T, but I remember a lot of others were not able to use it. Same goes for the U11... even if the IMEI is recognized. I remember reading that AT&T only allowed carrier branded phones to use certain features. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

I just talked with HTC Chat as well. It appears that the carrier needs to be involved as Unlocked phones do have open channels and won't work with ATT for features like Wifi-calling. He suggested calling VZW to clarify. It's probably a lot safer to order the carrier-variants if these are things that you value (like I do). Here's the transcript.

Me:
What's the difference between the VZW variant of the U12+ vs. the Unlocked variant?

Giovanny A.:
6:09 PM
Hello, X. Thank you for contacting the HTC Chat support, I will be more than glad to assist you today.
Me:
hi

Giovanny A.:
6:10 PM
I am very glad to know you are very interested in our brand new device, the HTC U12+ I will be more than happy to answer all your questions!
Me:
ok did you read my question yet?

Giovanny A.:
6:10 PM
Let me tell clear this up!

Me:
i'm worried that the Unlocked versions do not have their IMEIs whitelisted on the VZW network to enable wifi-calling/Advanced Calling features

Giovanny A.:
6:11 PM
Actually, there are no differences between the VZW and the unlocked one. Both phones will work exactly the same. On the website you would see the VZW, T-Mobile and AT&T as one of the carriers that works with this amazing device!

Me:
i understand the LTE bands are all there. I just want the verify that Wifi-calling/Advanced Calling would work on VZW with the Unlocked phones
Me:
there have been instances that "Unlocked" phones that are compatible do not work with these features. LTE bands are fine, it's the specific details that i worry about

Giovanny A.:
6:14 PM
The U12+ device, since it’s an open channel, will not support Wifi calling on the AT&T network, and we cannot assure you it would work with VZW. You might need to get in touch with them once you get the device.

Me:
great! that what i needed to hear. thanks. I will contact VZW.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I just talked with HTC Chat as well. It appears that the carrier needs to be involved as Unlocked phones do have open channels and won't work with ATT for features like Wifi-calling. He suggested calling VZW to clarify. It's probably a lot safer to order the carrier-variants if these are things that you value (like I do). Here's the transcript.

They are still all the same phone. It's just that carriers have to support those features on unlocked phones. When the carrier sim is inserted it allows them to read the IMEI and other info to determine whether it's an unlocked phone or a carrier phone. Some carriers allow for features on certain unlocked phones, but not others. For example, an unlocked sim free iPhone has working VoLTE and wifi calling on TMo, but the unlocked Sony Experia XZ2 does not. TMo doesn't activate those features for the XZ2.

AT&T is notoriously stubborn about not allowing certain features on phones not purchased through them or their retail partners. In fact AT&T sold a Blackberry in their stores that had the ability of wifi calling, but AT&T decided to block it. I'd imagine Verizon would be the same. TMo is about 50/50 depending on the phone, and I'm unsure about Sprint.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They are still all the same phone. It's just that carriers have to support those features on unlocked phones. When the carrier sim is inserted it allows them to read the IMEI and other info to determine whether it's an unlocked phone or a carrier phone. Some carriers allow for features on certain unlocked phones, but not others. For example, an unlocked sim free iPhone has working VoLTE and wifi calling on TMo, but the unlocked Sony Experia XZ2 does not. TMo doesn't activate those features for the XZ2.

AT&T is notoriously stubborn about not allowing certain features on phones not purchased through them or their retail partners. In fact AT&T sold a Blackberry in their stores that had the ability of wifi calling, but AT&T decided to block it. I'd imagine Verizon would be the same. TMo is about 50/50 depending on the phone, and I'm unsure about Sprint.

Is there a certification process that these OEMs aren't willing tongo throughto get those features enabled?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Is there a certification process that these OEMs aren't willing tongo throughto get those features enabled?

I'm not sure if it's a certification process, or a way to ensure the next phone the user buys will buy directly from the carrier. I've bought from HTC before and clicked on the TMo version and it didn't seem any different than any other unlocked phone. There was no TMo splash screen upon powering up the phone and anything other than carrier settings updates came direct from HTC, not TMo. HTC did say that the HTC U12+ has been tested by the 3 carriers, but didn't mention anything about VoLTE or wifi calling working or not with all 3.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
So the question remains...if you buy any of the carrier variants of the U12+ from HTC are you assured that features like Wifi-calling/Advanced Calling will work? Or will Unlocked phones work just the same? There has to be a better reason why HTC is listing ATT, TMob, and VZW variants for sale in addition to Unlocked phones other than to make customers comfortable.

Also, will unlocked bootloader codes be available for the carrier variants through the HTC store vs. Unlocked (where they have been traditionally available).

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
So the question remains...if you buy any of the carrier variants of the U12+ from HTC are you assured that features like Wifi-calling/Advanced Calling will work? Or will Unlocked phones work just the same? There has to be a better reason why HTC is listing ATT, TMob, and VZW variants for sale in addition to Unlocked phones other than to make customers comfortable.

Also, will unlocked bootloader codes be available for the carrier variants through the HTC store vs. Unlocked (where they have been traditionally available).

They told us both that there's no difference in the phones... it's simply unlocked 64gb or 128gb. I really do think it's to help customers feel more comfortable in buying the phone. We're really just going to have to wait and see what features work and which don't when people start receiving their orders.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

It will be up to your carrier to support those features. The U12+ has the ability to do those things, but it's not up to HTC. You will have to contact the carrier directly. There are no unlocked bootloader codes for your carrier to give you. They don't have any of their software installed, sell the phone, or provide any support for it. The previous "T-Mobile" variant I bought direct through HTC was the same as the unlocked version. The SKU was the same, no carrier support, no carrier software, it was the unlocked version.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It will be up to your carrier to support those features. The U12+ has the ability to do those things, but it's not up to HTC. You will have to contact the carrier directly. There are no unlocked bootloader codes for your carrier to give you. They don't have any of their software installed, sell the phone, or provide any support for it. The previous "T-Mobile" variant I bought direct through HTC was the same as the unlocked version. The SKU was the same, no carrier support, no carrier software, it was the unlocked version.

That's weird, I've bought unlocked since the M8 developer edition/unlocked (M9, 10 and U11) and every single unlocked HTC device supported all of TMobiles features. I returned the XZ2 due to the lack of support for "advanced calling" features. The unlocked U11 want leaps and bounds better in call quality due to this. I mean it's a huge deal for me as I still use my phone as an actual phone (about 40% of my usage per day).

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That's weird, I've bought unlocked since the M8 developer edition/unlocked (M9, 10 and U11) and every single unlocked HTC device supported all of TMobiles features. I returned the XZ2 due to the lack of support for "advanced calling" features. The unlocked U11 want leaps and bounds better in call quality due to this. I mean it's a huge deal for me as I still use my phone as an actual phone (about 40% of my usage per day).

That's why I mentioned it being up to the individual carrier on what features they wanted to allow. What I meant by carrier support in the last sentence was referring to software updates, hardware/software issues support. I didn't mean supporting more advanced features. I can see how it might look like that after re-reading though. Sorry for the confusion.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
And that's the dilemma... I keep buying phones direct from HTC to use on AT&T, so I don't even know what it's like to have Wi-Fi calling? It's tough to even think about the S9+ or the V35. Ugh.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There are unlocked devices where these features are available, so it's possible.

It's easy to blame the carriers.

But if there's a certification process that the OEM doesn't want to go through, it's not the carriers fault if those features are disabled.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
There are unlocked devices where these features are available, so it's possible.

It's easy to blame the carriers.

But if there's a certification process that the OEM doesn't want to go through, it's not the carriers fault if those features are disabled.

But if the carrier certification is there in the first place, who's fault is it really. I was really pissed about the XZ2 not having the features but I didn't blame Sony. It is capable just as much as a stupid Galaxy phone. Had all the bands and radios necessary. Carrier certification is certification through the carrier. No matter how you look at it, it's the carriers fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz