HTC U12+ Reviews Here

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the fake button is to ensure true waterproof capability.

I'd like to see a test like this on the U12
https://youtu.be/v1j5ckZwKEQ?t=11m21s
It's still IP68 rating same as some other phones with IP68 rating and actual buttons. Think they don't have any other strong reason to justify.
I'm all for new stuff but something which you use a lot everyday like power button, volume buttons has to be perfect. It's not like they saved some space or anything since It's still protudes out like actual physical buttons.

Obviously I haven't tried but impressions from people who tried hasn't been positive. Who knows may be the delay in release from 7th to 21st is they are tuning this is to be little better? At least I hope so since these buttons are something which will be used a lot everyday.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
This is some worrying commentary from Mr.Mobile on the U12+, seems memory management is being very aggressive.
03f995096e7979133b706a759cb0cff1.jpg

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
This is some worrying commentary from Mr.Mobile on the U12+, seems memory management is being very aggressive. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180609/03f995096e7979133b706a759cb0cff1.jpg

Not only that but he must be doing something wrong. High tech travelers review said that he could open a game, come back hours later and it would be exactly where he was when he left it. Doesn't MrMobile even say, "you're mileage may vary"? It may also be a matter of ensuring that the app isn't "optimized" under doze. You must understand Android in order to make it work for you. I spend, at least, two hours on setup. Not even installing apps.

Last edited:

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not only that but he must be doing something wrong. High tech travelers review said that he could open a game, come back hours later and it would be exactly where he was when he left it. Doesn't MrMobile even say, "you're mileage may vary"? It may also be a matter of ensuring that the app isn't "optimized" under doze. You must understand Android in order to make it work for you. I spend, at least, two hours on setup. Not even installing apps.

Lol do you think Mr Mobile doesn't understand Android? Hahahaha

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I commented on the article but will post here as well...

I snagged a U12+ at the NYC launch event. And I've already sent it back. I could have written this review - as my complaints are the same. The issues with the pressure sensitive buttons and sides are a deal breaker from the jump. But even if those are fixed, the staleness of the software ruins the rest of the experience. As Alex mentions, its very close to stock - yet so far away. The dialer, contacts, etc are years old and just detract from the flagship experience this otherwise delivers. I just dont understand why at that point HTC doesnt just include the google dialer?

I love the haptic button idea in theory. But for something as essential as power and volume buttons - it needs to work every single time. And it just doesnt. Not even 75% of the time. The iPhones home button works exactly like a physical button. Sure the response is a bit different since you only receive haptic feedback - but it works. Every single time.

Though, speak of, the haptics in the U12+ are pretty stellar. Its so close to offering such a great overall experience. And yet a few very small, yet very important things, keep it from being anything close to something anyone should recommend. At least in this market filled with devices like the S9 and OP6.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Too many negative experiences, even J William who is a HTC fanboy is not having the best experience. Complaining about overheating etc.

https://youtu.be/DPg2n20jOPc

For now, I cancelled my pre order since $900 is a lot of money. I'll revisit later if they fix some of these issues with software updates. Also, I do agree sense needs a fresh coat, I felt it as stale on the U11 itself. I mean if HTC doesn't have money to spend on software team then why bother with sense? Just use Android one or stock and just have your apps like camera and others to enhance the experience.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if his phone is pre unit for review, not final. I'm going keep my order to test drive my own.

Me too! I'm excited for an all around phone that isn't a Samsung. I've never liked them. I tried an S6edge(only due to not being able to live with the M9 camera). Hated that sloping screen. I ended up going back to the crippled M9 camera. I tried switching it up and going Sony this year with the XZ2 but alas, HTC holds the crown in my heart for devices. I just can't stray. I know I'll end up loving this phone. I'll get used to the "buttons". I'll even get past the fact they don't send out monthly security updates. Because for me, there is just no other option and hasn't been since the Desire HD. I've tried twice. I'll still get Android P on my 12 before 85% of the rest (I hope). So, I'll be patient and wait for Digital River to send the goods. Haters gonna hate. :Drops mic:

Hahahaaa

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Yeah. I love my HTC 10 even T-Mobile dropped after two months. Don't remind of curve screen ....the count less screen protector lol.....

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The U12+ is continuing to get hammered in its reviews (final verdict). From the Verge and it sounds like there's no saving the U12+'s reputation at this point. I'm wondering if HTC should just scrap it all together. One thing that I despise HTC for (which the Verge touched on), is how they switched to that garbage News Republic and TouchPal keyboard. I know they can be disabled, but they had NO BUSINESS being there in the first place. HTC doesn't seem capable of putting together a cohesive complete package without several comprises at this point.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/17451622/htc-u12-plus-review-specs-price-android-smartphone

Last edited:

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The U12+ is continuing to get hammered in its reviews (final verdict). From the Verge and it sounds like there's no saving the U12+'s reputation at this point. I'm wondering if HTC should just scrap it all together. One thing that I despise HTC for (which the Verge touched on), is how they switched to that garbage News Republic and TouchPal keyboard. I know they can be disabled, but they had NO BUSINESS being there in the first place. HTC doesn't seem capable of putting together a cohesive complete package without several comprises at this point.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/17451622/htc-u12-plus-review-specs-price-android-smartphone

Scrap it altogether because of a couple bad reviews? Come on. There is not one phone that has gotten 100% positive reviews, and not all the U12+ reviews are bad. Look, HTC knows they're nowhere near where they once were, and that's when companies try to innovate and differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack. Maybe it's the dual front facing stereo speakers of the M7... maybe it's the dual rear cameras of the M8... now, it's the haptic feedback buttons. Some things hit and some things miss, but you can't blame a company for actually trying. That's one of the best things about Android unlike Apple... we actually have a choice to buy more than one product!

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Scrap it altogether because of a couple bad reviews? Come on. There is not one phone that has gotten 100% positive reviews, and not all the U12+ reviews are bad. Look, HTC knows they're nowhere near where they once were, and that's when companies try to innovate and differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack. Maybe it's the dual front facing stereo speakers of the M7... maybe it's the dual rear cameras of the M8... now, it's the haptic feedback buttons. Some things hit and some things miss, but you can't blame a company for actually trying. That's one of the best things about Android unlike Apple... we actually have a choice to buy more than one product!

Point taken about HTC trying different things. However I feel they chose to try an unconventional approach on something that has zero room for error. They were certainly aware that the buttons weren't without functional deficiencies, yet chose to release it. My biggest gripe with HTC being different is that they didn't aim for having the best user experience when they did so. It seems they implemented something that was just barely good enough and it takes away from what is otherwise a great product.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes