How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot

cj_302

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
HUMM.. maybe it's a computer error because i put them in the C:\sdk-tools just like it told me to. opened it via CMD PRT. and still nothing. idk i dont have a comptuer with the software right now but i'll do it again and get back on. there's gotta be an easier extract method you can do right from the phone. im actually trying to figure that out too.. well once i get s-off that is...

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I have the same thing... 1.57 hboot and ics 4.0.3

I don't know how else to say this.

The problem is you. It is something you are doing wrong. It could be as simple as you not extracting the files from the archive properly, it could be that you're not extracting the files from the archive at all. That you are unable to figure out what is going on when the command prompt says the program was not found when you try to run it should tell you everything that's wrong up to that point... if you knew what you were doing.

jerryh511

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Great detailed instructions. Ty can all of this be down directly from the phone? If so could you email me the instructions. I would greatly appreciate it very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

cj_302

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ok. well i did it! an ROM'd it.. guess what it was! these instructions..... when extracting you have to put in your OS file on certain bit and map versions of windows.. ssooo!!! i ended up having to completely add these SDK's to my computers OS. and there ya go... well thank you. and awesome guide!! worked after i figured my computers problem out. but? i would like an overclocked ROM if thats out there i'd like to know. right now im running Harmonia and would also like a guide to put this 4EXT on my phone also! thanks for the help! much appreciated

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
ok. well i did it! an ROM'd it.. guess what it was! these instructions..... when extracting you have to put in your OS file on certain bit and map versions of windows.. ssooo!!! i ended up having to completely add these SDK's to my computers OS. and there ya go... well thank you. and awesome guide!! worked after i figured my computers problem out. but? i would like an overclocked ROM if thats out there i'd like to know. right now im running Harmonia and would also like a guide to put this 4EXT on my phone also! thanks for the help! much appreciated

Overclock is done with a kernel. People like anthrax.

Install 4EXT using their app.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

wesosaurus

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a question that I didn't see an answer for. What I'd like from rooting is stock (Sense is killing me) and Tether. I know Tether will work but what about stock, how do I get there with these instructions. Is there a particular rom?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a question that I didn't see an answer for. What I'd like from rooting is stock (Sense is killing me) and Tether. I know Tether will work but what about stock, how do I get there with these instructions. Is there a particular rom?

You do understand stock is what comes on the phone?

Are you asking for aosp? CM10 disarmed toaster is a good option until we get official cm support.

Jamaal57g

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Sweet guide. Worked like a charm. The zip flashing was alot faster than you said. ;) Ran into a couple problems, nothing to do with the guide tho...(google is your friend.)

Cartman90045

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this post and the info. This is my first Root attempt, and I think it was successful, but I never saw a confirmation for the unlock part on my phone, and the Superuser portion only took about 2 minutes in total (not sure if that was too fast based on the instructions). I do have Superuser installed in my apps now -- does that mean it was successful?

Also, the link in these instructions for the factory ROM seems to be unavailable. Can someone fix it? I would like to get a copy of the factory ROM before I try installing a custom ROM. I did run the backup utility (per the instructions), but I have no idea if that includes the factory ROM image if I ever wanted to go back later.

Thanks!

tyang468

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, great tutorial btw yet sry but am a noob to rooting however I completed about everything from the beginning of this tutorial to the part where we select the SU zip to flash. Completed that and it was flashed successfully and rebooted and all see well, however my HTC evo v still wasn't rooted or so I think, cuz when I open the SU application installed to my cellne, it shows no application and no root of files from my phone whatsoever. Also phone still seems the same but with red highlightings now. Do u know what I probbly did wrong or just helpme out pplease and thanks.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, great tutorial btw yet sry but am a noob to rooting however I completed about everything from the beginning of this tutorial to the part where we select the SU zip to flash. Completed that and it was flashed successfully and rebooted and all see well, however my HTC evo v still wasn't rooted or so I think, cuz when I open the SU application installed to my cellne, it shows no application and no root of files from my phone whatsoever. Also phone still seems the same but with red highlightings now. Do u know what I probbly did wrong or just helpme out pplease and thanks.

Try flashing a different rom. I like harmonia.

tyang468

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I did just that (flashed harmonia) and my cellphone rebooted, but now it's stuck on the white htc screen and won't do anything? I even press and hold power+volume up/down and mix and match and so on, but the phone won't do a thing. It'll just stay on the screen now? I even pull out the battery and wait 10 secs and then turn it back on and it still does the same thing? Help?!

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I did just that (flashed harmonia) and my cellphone rebooted, but now it's stuck on the white htc screen and won't do anything? I even press and hold power+volume up/down and mix and match and so on, but the phone won't do a thing. It'll just stay on the screen now? I even pull out the battery and wait 10 secs and then turn it back on and it still does the same thing? Help?!

Learn how to boot into recovery. Wait. You DID install a recovery, right?

tyang468

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Learn how to boot into recovery. Wait. You DID install a recovery, right?
Well, if you're talking about the TWRP recovery then yes I did. If you're not talking about the TWRP, then no I didn't install any other recovery. How do I get past the HTC white screen? I just let it sat there over night til the battery died, then recharged it and turned it back on and still, the screen will just freezes there. Power+volumn down/up/mix&match+sdcard in/out etc. etc.
Is my HTC bricked now? Hopefully theres a way around it, any help would be greatly appreciated!
======
=EDIT=
======
Actually nevermind, I got it fixed and successfully installed Harmonia, thanks for the reply though.

Last edited: