Is Unlocking the BootLoader the same as Rooting?

1saint10

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the HTC Evo V on October 10th, and I wanna be sure I know what I'm doing. Now I've been looking through the forums and I heard the first step to flashing a ROM is unlocking the bootloader. Is that that the same as rooting or does it root in the process?

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the HTC Evo V on October 10th, and I wanna be sure I know what I'm doing. Now I've been looking through the forums and I heard the first step to flashing a ROM is unlocking the bootloader. Is that that the same as rooting or does it root in the process?

From my understanding.. Root means you have super user permission.. like over clocking the CPU or disabling some functions on the phone. Also the ability to tether for free.

Unlocked bootloader gives you the ablilty to run Custom ROMs.. I think if its locked it can detect 3rd party software. .

But they dont mean the same thing.. but you need them both if you want to be able to RUn Custom ROMs.

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
From my understanding.. Root means you have super user permission.. like over clocking the CPU or disabling some functions on the phone. Also the ability to tether for free.

Unlocked bootloader gives you the ablilty to run Custom ROMs.. I think if its locked it can detect 3rd party software. .

But they dont mean the same thing.. but you need them both if you want to be able to RUn Custom ROMs.

Actually... if you even bothered to read the how-to guide on this very forum...

You have to unlock the bootloader to be able to have root.

Because when you unlock the bootloader, the phone factory resets and gives you superuser/root privs. The step after ONLY involves putting superuser.apk into /system/app by flashing a zip. Nothing else. No exploits, no rageagainstthecage or superoneclick. When you unlock, you have root.

And you absolutely have to unlock the bootloader (along with getting SOFF) to install custom roms.

So when it comes to the EVO 3D... unlocking the bootloader and rooting might as well be one in the same.

1saint10

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually... if you even bothered to read the how-to guide on this very forum...

You have to unlock the bootloader to be able to have root.

Because when you unlock the bootloader, the phone factory resets and gives you superuser/root privs. The step after ONLY involves putting superuser.apk into /system/app by flashing a zip. Nothing else. No exploits, no rageagainstthecage or superoneclick. When you unlock, you have root.

And you absolutely have to unlock the bootloader (along with getting SOFF) to install custom roms.

So when it comes to the EVO 3D... unlocking the bootloader and rooting might as well be one in the same.

I was told I didn't need s-off to flash a certain rom (Mobster Rom) if I had the 4ext recovery installed on my phone.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Unlocking the bootloader is just turning off the security so you can modify and change the first on your device.

Unlocking the bootloader is required to root or flash a custom rom.

Unlocking the bootloader is the first step to rooting but just unlocking the bootloader will not give you root. You need to flash the su patch or flash a custom rom to have root.

S-off is getting the security off of the radio, hboot, and kernel so you can change and modify them.

You only need s-off if you want to use a custom kernel, fix radio errors if you have them, or want to use a non sense based rom.

All aosp or gingerbread roms require s-off and a downgraded hboot.

Sent from my HTC Evo V 4G

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
i was trying to root with twrp and now after i install supersu it reboots and brings me to the same page .. is there a way i can override twrp and just get my phone back..?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci