Anyone know if the Vivid's qHD screen will be pentile or not? Could make a big difference in shapness on a screen this size.
    10-31-2011 11:00 AM
    Htc has made their recent phones qhd but they're not pentile

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    10-31-2011 11:08 AM
    I am sure it will be a beautiful display.
    10-31-2011 12:14 PM
    Brilliant 4.5" qHD Super LCD screen accodding to at page. vivid
    10-31-2011 12:50 PM
    I don't think HTC has done an AMOLED screen on any of its products to date. Sammy pretty much has had that locked up. I think the RAZR might have one, though. It doesn't matter much. I'm going with this phone.
    10-31-2011 07:23 PM
    I don't think HTC has done an AMOLED screen on any of its products to date. Sammy pretty much has had that locked up. I think the RAZR might have one, though. It doesn't matter much. I'm going with this phone.

Pentile matrix doesn't have to be on an AMOLED display. The Atrix has an LCD screen with pentile matrix. The Captivate has a Super AMOLED with pentile matrix. Super LCD on HTC phones don't, so that is promising.
    10-31-2011 08:48 PM
    Also, given both phones have 4.5 screens, I'll take the higher resolution.
    10-31-2011 10:10 PM
    I know it's late to the thread, but HTC was the first to put AMOLED in a phone. The nexus one used pentile AMOLED (not super).

But since then, I think only the legend used an AMOLED.
    11-16-2011 11:26 AM
    Having mine now for a day of getting it set up, I love this screen! Everyone else can have what they want, and I'm sure I'm going to want the 1080p screen that will likely be available in June 2013 for my next upgrade. For this phone cycle, this phone suits me just fine.
    11-16-2011 12:53 PM
    I just read a review on BGR that says or Vivid's screen is indeed pentile. I wonder if HTC would ever confirm or deny.

http://m.bgr.com/2011/11/16/htc-vivid-review/
    knighthawk321 likes this.
    11-16-2011 01:12 PM
    I hated pentile on matrix. If this screen is jndeed pentile then I have changed my mind about it, because this screen is absolutely beautiful. Stop worrying to much people. This comes from a previous pentile hater.
    11-16-2011 03:52 PM
    Pentile doesn't mean much. It all depends on the quality of the Pentile display.
    11-16-2011 06:36 PM
    Anyone who doesn't want a phone with a pentile screen should probably prepare to not buy a smartphone ever again. Pentile is the future of displays(at least for the forseeable future)
    11-16-2011 06:40 PM
    Either way I'm enjoying my Vivid. It does have an awesome screen - bright and clear, with sharp details. IMO it's much nicer then the harsh colors of Samsung's AMOLED.
    11-16-2011 08:44 PM
    Anyone who doesn't want a phone with a pentile screen should probably prepare to not buy a smartphone ever again. Pentile is the future of displays(at least for the forseeable future)
    tell that to one of the most advanced displays out right now, the 1280x720 non-pentile LCD on the Rezound.

im not hating on pentile at all, when done right it can be great. im looking forward to the pentile super amoled on my new nexus.....................................when VZW decides to let me have it.
    11-16-2011 09:06 PM
    tell that to one of the most advanced displays out right now, the 1280x720 non-pentile LCD on the Rezound.

im not hating on pentile at all, when done right it can be great. im looking forward to the pentile super amoled on my new nexus.....................................when VZW decides to let me have it.
    Like you said, the Galaxy Nexus that IS pentile. And maybe the rezound isn't pentile, but the fact that the Vivid, which is the flagship phone for AT&T's new LTE network is pentile kinda gives an indication of the direction that HTC is going.
    11-16-2011 10:02 PM
    Either way I'm enjoying my Vivid. It does have an awesome screen - bright and clear, with sharp details. IMO it's much nicer then the harsh colors of Samsung's AMOLED.
    And that's what matters. Why are people still hung up on the whole "is it pentile" garbage. The question should be "How good is he display"
    who cares about the technology behind it if its gorgeous and doesn't kill your battery or processor
    Pauley likes this.
    11-16-2011 10:04 PM
    And that's what matters. Why are people still hung up on the whole "is it pentile" garbage. The question should be "How good is he display"
    who cares about the technology behind it if its gorgeous and doesn't kill your battery or processor
    +1

also, love your sig! haha
    11-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Like you said, the Galaxy Nexus that IS pentile. And maybe the rezound isn't pentile, but the fact that the Vivid, which is the flagship phone for AT&T's new LTE network is pentile kinda gives an indication of the direction that HTC is going.
    I meant to post in this thread earlier today, but didn't get to it until now.

The Vivid's screen is not pentile.

The reviewer at BGR was sorely mistaken. I've owned multiple Pentile handsets (Nexus One, Galaxy S 4G, Nexus S, Bionic and Droid X2), and the Vivid is most assuredly NOT using a Pentile pixel matrix on its display.
    11-17-2011 01:33 AM
    Definitely not Pentile guys. Super LCD
    11-17-2011 04:24 AM
    Definitely not Pentile guys. Super LCD
    A screen can be Super LCD and still use a pentile matrix.
    11-17-2011 09:29 PM
    A screen can be Super LCD and still use a pentile matrix.
    Maybe. We have never seen one, so I'm doubtful it's possible.
    11-17-2011 11:41 PM
    the display type has little to do with the sub-pixel arrangement. The screen is in fact super-LCD which is good, and while it *could* have a pentile matrix, it does not. What it *does* have is known as RGB stripe which is what we are all used to on non-pentile displays. I've seen it, and it does look nice. If there weren't other drawbacks to the vivid, I'd have it just for the screen.

Make no mistake, this absolutely makes a difference. A very BIG difference. I went from a 4" pentile LCD to a 4.3" non-pentile at the same resolution and the difference is absolutely huge. With an RGBW pentile display, It gets hidden in black/white contrast or colors that are far from 'prime' colors (red, green, blue), but when the display has to produce prime colors, only every *other* pixel can light up (except in RGBG pentile where every pixel has a green subpixel) which not only drops the effective resolution by half, but leaves dark pixels in between every lit pixel! This looks *horrible*, trust me.

The most obvious way to check this out for yourself is to open the app drawer and look for icons with primary colors and notice the difference in pixelation between them and other icons. On my RGBW atrix, the battery indicator (green) in the status bar looked bad, and the blue wifi indicator looked bad, but everything else looked ok. black and white text looked very good, but pictures had a strange graininess to them.

Oddly enough, I didn't mind as much at first, but over time it started to grate on my eyes more and more. The switch to an RGB stripe LCD screen has been tremendous. Don't buy into the 'pentile doesn't matter' mythology. The only myth is that you can use just 2 subpixels per pixel (in an RGB color space) and not notice a big difference.

If, however you pick up a pentile screen and can't tell any difference, then you are indeed blessed and don't need to worry about it.
    11-18-2011 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD