Can the built in Wi-Fi Hot Spot be hacked? I want to use My HTC AT&T Vivid as a wireless hot spot but don't want to give up my unlimited data plan. I have tried the APPs with no luck. HELP!!
    ps: I don't use the data enough to raise any AT&T flaggs.
    Thanks, Gary
    02-02-2012 02:04 AM
    I would like to find this out too. for 30 bucks a mo (/data only) I should be able to tether a little when needed.
    kelnhofer likes this.
    02-09-2012 11:12 PM
    I have found a possible sollution but I must Root my phone. and install a custom ROM. I will let everyone know how it goes, Gary
    02-10-2012 01:10 AM
    I wouldn't do the whole tether thing , I did it and now I'm being throttled, as of now the speed is slow as hell ... But if you still want to give it a go , try out Wild Child's 3.5 Rom in Xda vivid forum
    kelnhofer likes this.
    02-11-2012 12:22 AM
    Idk if they have a vivid build yet but try to root it and get cm7 or wait for 9 it deft has it tested it on my sisters phone it was fast
    kelnhofer likes this.
    02-11-2012 09:16 AM
    I wanted to thank everyone for your help. I ended up flashing a Rum_Raider Rom to my Htc Vivid and it is working great! I am up and running with Wireless Hot Spot working. So far absolutely NO errors! My phone seems much faster also.
    02-15-2012 06:20 PM
    I wanted to thank everyone for your help. I ended up flashing a Rum_Raider Rom to my Htc Vivid and it is working great! I am up and running with Wireless Hot Spot working. So far absolutely NO errors! My phone seems much faster also.
    Maybe I'll try that in a few weeks.. let us know if there are any issues. I would like this feature also once in a while when I'm visiting family(no internet there).

What are the steps needed to do this Rum_raider thing? (I'm a noob)

--Thanks
    02-16-2012 01:53 PM
    I have a rooted Vivid and I use wifi-tether - works great.

I understand that AT&T blocks wifi - hotspot and the work around is not yet available.

The alternative is to flash a ROM that has such capability.

Let me know if there is another alternative.
    05-03-2012 08:00 PM
    i know its a year later but foxfi wifi app will work without root from what Ive hear I have used it on my galaxy s3 without root most phones need root to use the wifi hotspot because of permissions the carrier has put on them
    04-11-2013 03:01 AM
    I am on ATT so those restrictions apply to me. Thanks, I have it solved with a WCX ROM.
    04-11-2013 04:24 AM
    Same here.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    satannik likes this.
    04-11-2013 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD