Change from iPhone to Vivid or Skyrocket

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm growing more and more frustrated with this slug iPhone 3G I have now. In fact today I had to do a complete software restore since app updates wouldn't install.. UGH!

I've read lots of mediocre reviews about the Vivid and some rave reviews about the Skyrocket. Has anyone had a GS2 and feels the HTC is better? With some new phones coming out soon, I don't want to waste my ATT upgrade though the both phones are available at Amazon for $99 with no tax or shipping. Won't get that deal with the OneX or GS2HD or GS3, that's for sure!

Would love to hear feedback on pros/cons as well as the difference between HTC sense and Sammy Touch Wiz..

Thanks.

bigboi0206

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would wait for now. Some areas get discounts off the bat for some great phones. I got my Vivid for $99 at launch with the Skyrocket also being discounted. Now I have phone envy wanting the One XL. 720p screen, thinner than the Vivid (which in itself is still thinner than my Inspire 4G), newer processor and GPU, better camera. It's better of you wait for tomorrow's device than today's knowing you will get more out of it.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The trouble with that logic is that you'll be waiting forever. There will always be something newer, better, faster, shinier down the road. Lol

I came from an iPhone 3GS, too, and I couldn't be happier with my Vivid. I tried an LG Nitro for a week, but it was a serious battery hog (you pay for that beautiful 720p display). I would have checked out the Skyrocket, but it was twice as much $$. And, of the dozen or so reviews I read, it was pretty much a wash between the Vivid and the Skyrocket anyway.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
+1 for bruce7373. I dumped my iPhone4, and chose Vivid over Skyrocket. Best phone decision that i've ever made. For me, the size and functionality of the Vivid, is perfect. IMHO, the OneX is just too big. If i have to use a stylus with a phone, i'll get an iPad, and carry that around!:)

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My vote goes to Vivid as well. I tried the Skyrocket prior to getting the Vivid and other than the screen the Vivid wins all around.

The screen is also a personal preference if you like the AMOLED screens.

Sent from my Rum Float Vivid using Tapatalk.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks folks.. interesting feedback.. What I hear though is the Vivid screen ain't too great in the sunlight since it's LCD and it is a bit heavy, though no heavier than the clunky 3G I have, LOL. I have a feeling that both of these phones will get another price drop soon, though I don't want to wait forever.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks folks.. interesting feedback.. What I hear though is the Vivid screen ain't too great in the sunlight since it's LCD and it is a bit heavy, though no heavier than the clunky 3G I have, LOL. I have a feeling that both of these phones will get another price drop soon, though I don't want to wait forever.

You can't change out the battery on the Skyrocket, and it doesn't have an LED notification light. If these things are important to you, then i would suggest the Vivid. It's your call, though. Good luck.:)

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can change the battery on the skyrocket what are you talking about. And led notification light is not a big deal. But to the op play around with both phones and see what one you like.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can change the battery on the skyrocket what are you talking about. And led notification light is not a big deal. But to the op play around with both phones and see what one you like.

Sorry, wrong info.:(

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys.. And yes, I do know that the Skyrocket battery can be replaced and I also am aware there's a larger replacement battery too..

Went to Verizon today and played with the Nexus and other than the fact that it appeared to be running ICS, I didn't notice a huge difference between it and the Skyrocket.

What I DID notice was the HUGE difference in price though. Were I to pull the trigger on either the Vivid or Skyrocket via Amazon, I'm basically out the door for around $136. With the Nexus I'm looking at around $400 or so.. no small potatoes, not to mention losing my rollover minutes and simultaneous voice/data.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey! Frys Electronics has a sale on the Vivid this weekend for upgrade customers. It will be $39.98 +tax. Since you live in CA, you should be not far from one. That is how my wife and I upgraded to the Vivid. In January, we drove from north of Memphis to Duluth, GA cause Fry's had the Vivid for 79.98. I will also tell you that they show a black one, but the item number is for the white.

Edit: Forgot to post the link to my info. Look at the bottom on the right side of the page.
http://www.frys.com/ads/page5

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I chose the Vivid. I am a fan of Sense and HTC. I think Sense is much more elegant than Touchwiz. The LED notification light for me is a big deal. The screen for me is good for what I need. I've had Samsung, LG and HTC phones. Hands down I would take HTC any day.

If you don't want to wait for the One X, then I would go for the Vivid. Go to Best Buy Mobile and they should match the price on Amazon's site. If not they will negotiate price down. Also, purchase their phone insurance. It is 3 more a month but is worth it. No deductible and they replace for physical and water damage.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip about Fry's though I live in the North Bay where there are none, and the closest one is about a 100+ mile r/t so at the end of the day, I'm not saving much after gas and tolls.

Re: Phone insurance. ATT told me it's $7/month but I agree that it may come in handy. I had to replace my iPhoine FIVE times due to battery issues, though Apple replaced even after it was out of warranty.

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree I played with vivid didn't like it. Sense is to intrusive if you ask me and a battery hog.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Really.. $199 deductible? Yikes it doesn't sound like such a great deal now though I guess if the phone dies or goes South and you're not eligible for an upgrade yet, the cost would be much higher.

Went to the ATT store today to play with the Vivid, Skyrocket and Note, and I have to say that the Note really grows on you. The 2 Skyrockets on display each had a problem. One had a very slow accelerometer and the other one had a battery problem and wouldn't say on even though it was plugged into AC.. Not good. The Vivid's rear cover kept coming off too and it is rather heavy compared to the Sammy Note or Skyrocket

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes high end phones iphone skyrocket vivid note ext are $199. Mid range phones are $125 I belive and $50 for basic phones

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.. so if the phone dies you have to pay $200 to get a replacement? How is that a savings? After two years you've paid another $200 ($7x24), so you've really spent $400. Hmmm.

bruce7373

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not. Insurance plans, like extended warranties, are pure profit for the companies. In all the years I've had cell phones, I've never had insurance and have never regretted it. I'll play the odds.

Of course, tomorrow I'll drop my phone in the toilet ... lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon