ICS Update Problem/Bug Occurring.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I own an HTC Vivid and updated yesterday. I have the same thing happen each time: It says "Andriod is updating..." and it optomizes 62 apps. :mad:

No GPS problems but In the location settings i think there is a sertting that keeps it on dispite other shortcuts to the function. :-!

This does not seem normal to me, maybe there is another update coming our way? :p

I believe that it is "normal", with this new update. If it bothers you, then only update at the end of your day.:)

shadowfyr

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the "Optimizing" as well upon reboot. My only issues have been the following: (1) I miss the notifications soft button and now have to drag down from the top which is a pain; (2) pictures don't display properly in my email app (K-9).

Other than the above, all seems to run well.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had the same optimization message every time I reboot. I get alot of force close messages when I go to Home screen from Gmail as well. It will open just fine again though. Overall I am quite happy with the update.

emmy9909

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I updated my phone earlier today, since then i am getting the androir is upgrading message and when it is all done starting up, my messages wont load. Sometimes I'm able to get to the page that has all my conversations and then when i try to click one that one will always be loading. AKA I cant text or see texts. Help please!!!

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The solution is either install a custom ROM or learn to love 3-minute bootups. Do NOT root your phone on the advisement elsewhere that it will fix the problem (the problem, by the way, being that the dalvik cache where optimizations are stored is wiped any time you shut down or reboot the phone). While rooting isn't necessarily a bad thing - and is the first step in loading a custom ROM, should that be your choice - it is NOT a fix in and of itself, it voids your warranty, and it can lead to other issues that may require a heightened technical competence to correct.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The solution is either install a custom ROM or learn to love 3-minute bootups. Do NOT root your phone on the advisement elsewhere that it will fix the problem (the problem, by the way, being that the dalvik cache where optimizations are stored is wiped any time you shut down or reboot the phone). While rooting isn't necessarily a bad thing - and is the first step in loading a custom ROM, should that be your choice - it is NOT a fix in and of itself, it voids your warranty, and it can lead to other issues that may require a heightened technical competence to correct.

Correction: "Rooting can give you trouble...when used/done incorrectly."

However, he does have a point. Rooting is not really the answer, a whole new ROM is the solution. You see, when you shutdown the Vivid after the ICS upgrade, it does wipe the Dalvik-Cache. I guess this was HTC's attempt at keeping the system memory free, but forces the phone/OS to regenerate the cache on boot, or the "Dalvik". So, either get used to "fastboot" (Settings>Power>Check Fastboot), just deal with the time, or customize your phone. Good luck.

Last edited:

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by "get used to fastboot", but since you're allergic to stock ROMs you may not have seen this problem in-depth :). I've run with Fastboot on and off, and either way, the cache always rebuilds on boot. I've noticed a few situations where it doesn't, but those cases may have been when the battery was pulled (system didn't have time to clear the cache on shutdown, perhaps?). Haven't probed any deeper into that, though.

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by "get used to fastboot", but since you're allergic to stock ROMs you may not have seen this problem in-depth :). I've run with Fastboot on and off, and either way, the cache always rebuilds on boot. I've noticed a few situations where it doesn't, but those cases may have been when the battery was pulled (system didn't have time to clear the cache on shutdown, perhaps?). Haven't probed any deeper into that, though.

I do...I started from the stock up. And let me explain clearly how "fastboot" works: Ever heard of the "Hibernate" function on a Windows/Unbuntu computer? It's essentially that. It basically caches the system into the memory. However, not the whole system, but about 90% of it. So, there's only a 30 second boot up time. But it also saves the system to RAM. Long story short, of course it won't work if you pull the battery. You can say I'm inexperienced with stock ROMs, but that's how I learn a phone. After FULLY learning stock, I mod, customize, root, change partitions, etc. And pulling the battery without shutdown really doesn't help or hinder anything. So please, do you have any other questions or comments to/for me?

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Usually on fastboot it won't rebuild, which I wouldn't expect it to...every once in awhile it will though even on a 'fastboot' startup. Any idea why?

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Not attacking you, if that's how you took it (saw some recent attacks on one of your first posts, but I'd say you've more than proven yourself since then). The reason I've never seen Fastboot work as designed may be that I never shut the phone off, only reboot. The whole point of a reboot is usually to clear misbehaving software, which wouldn't happen if a reboot threw everything to RAM, then reloaded it all on the way back up. Either way, custom ROM seems to be the only real fix for this problem.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Usually on fastboot it won't rebuild, which I wouldn't expect it to...every once in awhile it will though even on a 'fastboot' startup. Any idea why?

The system storage space only has so much room, eventually, it would need to rebuild. But that's only my assumption.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Not attacking you, if that's how you took it (saw some recent attacks on one of your first posts, but I'd say you've more than proven yourself since then). The reason I've never seen Fastboot work as designed may be that I never shut the phone off, only reboot. The whole point of a reboot is usually to clear misbehaving software, which wouldn't happen if a reboot threw everything to RAM, then reloaded it all on the way back up. Either way, custom ROM seems to be the only real fix for this problem.

Well, yeah, the "fastboot" option is a low-level selection, meaning it's system installed. How to tell the difference: In normal mode: Just press the power button to boot, wait a few minutes. In fastboot mode: Hold down power button to turn on, can't get to HBOOT with it enabled, takes about 30 seconds to boot. It needs to save the system to memory, so that's why it needs to shut down, if you just reboot, it's pretty much useless.

danny sadler

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine started this right after I installed link2sd so I figured that was the reason. But sometimes it will sat 1out of 121 application and I don't have that many.

LovelyLeslie

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Phone is stuck in "Android is upgrading. Optimizing application 1 of 1" HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i remember i was downloading something from google play store but it took so long so i cleared cache from playstore then i also used clean master and du booster to clean junk but it was taking longer than usual also so i stopped my downloads and everything i was doing.

i powered off my phone. then turned it on again and it says

"Android is upgrading, Optimizing application 1 of 1"

and i already slept for more than 8 hours and its stuck there. I cant do anything except remove my battery,sim and sd card.

help me please....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool