why doesnt vivid convert video for sms?

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
On the iphone you can pick a video to send via sms and it will lower the rez and cut it to fit on the size limit and send it.. my vivd doesnt do that and I have to try and guess and trim and there is no option to lower the rez =-/... why

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I personally have SMS blocked in favor of the free text-over-IP apps out there, so I can't give a direct answer to your question, but I am curious:

Why would you want to send video over SMS? Put it on YouTube and text the link to it..?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
once in a while I will send a pic or short vid of our kid to my wife at work. The iphone would reduce the quality and length if needed, but it would be viewable and quick.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I must be missing something.. I DL it and I get the same size limit sending a 30 sec video?

edit.. saw the option to increase size limits.. but looks like I can go uo to 1.2M, but there is another setting for EVO's only for 5M.. that would be fine if it could lower the rez of the movie before sending

Last edited:

daddy69

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
So anyone know any way to watch videos received sms? I have a vivid.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Vivid only allows max 600k attachments. Video it will balk and fail to send. Images it will compress automatically. I think it has something to do with the Codec HTC uses for Video. The phone simply doesn't know how to deal with it so it just errors out due to the size. If want to send MMS video, then you have to use the MMS setting in the video player to hopefully not go over the 600k file size limit.

It's a big issue for me since the whole reason why I bought this phone was for a better camera and I do a lot of shuffling around videos to show things to people who aren't there at that moment.

Sorry, the idea of uploading everything to YouTube and shuffling around links baffles me, and should baffle anyone. Nevermind that would destroy your data plan when you're out and about. Lots of times I need to get things done now. I don't have time to hunt for WiFi to send a short video to someone.

Haven't recieved any videos yet so I'm not sure what you mean, but if you can't even view them then I guess that's one more reason to return it. Only have 3 more days before I'm locked in and the amount of issues with this device makes it seriously too risky to keep it and "hope" for a bugfix update.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I dont get it though..

I hate to go here.. but if the iphone can easily take any video at the highest rez and then covert it and cut it if needed all seamlessly why cant vivid.. it seems silly not to be able to do that. Its cool to have the option to make videos that small at the start but who the hell is going to "plan" to use that option.. hell I would kill myself if I made a family video at low rez.. then later want it in HD.. haha..