Rooted my Vivid, and... Now what?

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm tired of bug creeps leading to daily (or more frequent) reboots. And I'm super tired of Android "upgrading" every time I reboot. I read that the upgrading message comes up because the dalvik cache is created with non-root rights, and is thusly cleared when the phone is rebooted - the fix was supposed to be rooting. Now, after taking the plunge, I still get the notice after every reboot. WTF!

Haven't had much time to test out the other bugs yet, but I have no reason to expect they're magically fixed, either. I'm ready to put HTC's travesty of an OS behind me. When they work, I like the existing capabilities - but I want NetFlix to keep the system-specified brightness instead of actively choosing its own brightness. I want "Media" system sounds to continue working after using the stock music player when an alarm goes off. And I want the damn text magnifying glass to pop up OVER my thumb, not under it, when I'm trying to edit the text this inaccurate keyboard spits out. Anyone got any ideas?

As a disgusted side note, I think it's so wonderful that I must void my warranty on such an expensive device just to make it work! I love the hardware, but really? So disappointed with HTC.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Well now the phone is junk. All I did was root, and now the touch sensors randomly go crazy, my contacts are all shuffled into each other, the battery takes forever to charge (presume there's a heavy load?), and who knows what else! Didn't make any special mods or anything. WTF! This has. Taken foreVer to wqrite, since the touch sensor is constantly picking up multpiple touches - and therefore, letters - at once.

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Using Hansoon's for Vivid. Flashed Clockwork prior to root, though it isn't clear what that actually did.

The battery issue seems solved, but I don't like the implications in root cause: prior to root, I used to keep ActiveSync turned on, and my battery was fine. Now, it pegs the CPU at over 100% on the Android System task (according to System Tools; I think it gives each core its own range). Additionally, I can't make changes to my contacts. When ActiveSync fires up, it overwrites whatever's on my phone with its incorrect data, even though I set it to keep what's on the phone :S.

After powering the phone off for the night, the screen is OK again (a simple reboot didn't fix it) - on that one, I think the phone was starting to overheat due to excessive CPU utilization.

So, where can I go from here? Like I said, I'm ready to ditch this poorly-made OS version. What's out there that is recommendable?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not that, if I could guess, you have flashed the wrong thing. So, did you flash the wrong kernel, like, did you attempt to use that Holicakes kernel on stock?

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm now in front of my PC, so here's what I did:
1- Got bootloader unlock code from HTCDev.
2- Hansoons- "unlock bootloader"
3- Hansoons- Flash recovery, "CWM 5.5.0.4 (GB)" - just caught the GB; the instructions I was following was for ICS, and I just did what I was told
4- Hansoons- Extras - Perm Root (GB / ICS)

This is all I've done to the phone. Should I backtrack and flash the WCXs CWM (GB / ICS)? What am I actually doing to the phone when I flash a recovery?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
When you flash a recovery, it's like installing a BIOS with helpful tools. It's also needed for installing custom ROMs, backing up your Current ROM, etc.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why i went with an android phone...SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO ROOT, JAILBREAK, OR WHATEVER!!!!! With so many models out there, you can find the one for you, or use two cans and a very long string.:p

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
No HTC phone comes with a stock recovery. You have to flash a custom recovery. It really doesn't matter which one, but it HAS TO BE DESIGNED FOR YOUR PHONE or else....well, I don't know, I've never pulled that stupid. Some phones brands (LG, Motorola) come with their own stock recoveries, which, can help a decent amount, but it is always best to flash a custom one.

Reactions: bruce7373

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay