HTC Vivid wont power on (Just get Hboot screen)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Because that made a lot of things act bizarre. But you have the HTC Velocity?

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
There might be a newer RUU, have you tried looking for another one, or couldn't find it?

DGC48

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've spent many hours trying to find a newer one... I note a recent post on another forum by an Australian with the same problem - although he is unlocked. He can find the same RUU but no newer ones. He has no responses yet.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
No one can find a newer one. I had people look as well. There are only 2 solutions nowadays...

1) S-OFF the device and then flash the RUU that you have

Or...

2) Unlock the bootloader and flash a stock ROM.

Sorry sir.

DGC48

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
no apologies needed. I really appreciate an expert confirming that it's not something simple that I'm missing. I will do whichever of the two above options you think are less likely to get me into trouble... I think I can unlock the bootloader via HTC Dev site or, if going the other route, would do some research to work out what S-Off is. I may be confused but please clarify. Do you mean unlock the bootloader and flash a custom ROM (ie not stock)?... just that option one flashing the RUU would have me on the stock ROM wouldn't it?

Final request would be if you have any suggestions for the most reliable custom ROM.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
no apologies needed. I really appreciate an expert confirming that it's not something simple that I'm missing. I will do whichever of the two above options you think are less likely to get me into trouble... I think I can unlock the bootloader via HTC Dev site

Yes, you actually can unlock it officially.

or, if going the other route, would do some research to work out what S-Off is.

S-OFF is just enabling you to write over the current HBOOT and flash files without any extra security. There are pros and cons to it, but I decided to stay S-ON.

I may be confused but please clarify. Do you mean unlock the bootloader and flash a custom ROM (ie not stock)?

Yes. That's the beauty of Android.

... just that option one flashing the RUU would have me on the stock ROM wouldn't it?

Yes. Stock kernel and everything.

Final request would be if you have any suggestions for the most reliable custom ROM.

I would have to look, but I know of a lot of HTC Vivid ROMs.

DGC48

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
OK... will try to unlock bootloader (but stay S-On) and take a plunge into the world of a custom ROM. I suspect there are some long hours in front of the computer ahead of me but I'll be the better for it at the end. Thanks for all your help... using some Australian vernacular, you're a champion!!!

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually, there are no long hours, it's really not as complicated as one may think. The longest part of anything is unlocking the bootloader and then picking the ROM for you.

DGC48

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I unlocked the bootloader OK. But having no joy flashing a custom ROM... if I rename it to PH39IMG.zip and put it on an SD card before booting the phone, it seems to be loading, the blue bar goes to the top... and a message about parsing comes up. But then it just goes back to the HBoot screen.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing but have tried to flash a clockworkmod recovery image via the command prompt from my computer (in the hope that this will let me install a ROM)... I get the "finished/OKAY" message when I've done this but, when I run recovery on the phone, I get a white screen with green HTC requiring a battery pull.

Not game to try to get S-Off, the posts I've read refer to a wire trick and I don't think I'm up for it.

any tips?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I unlocked the bootloader OK. But having no joy flashing a custom ROM... if I rename it to PH39IMG.zip and put it on an SD card before booting the phone, it seems to be loading, the blue bar goes to the top... and a message about parsing comes up. But then it just goes back to the HBoot screen.

That's the problem, that's not how you flash a ROM, that PH39IMG.zip is for fixing something or flashing different antennas if memory serves me right.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing but have tried to flash a clockworkmod recovery image via the command prompt from my computer (in the hope that this will let me install a ROM)... I get the "finished/OKAY" message when I've done this but, when I run recovery on the phone, I get a white screen with green HTC requiring a battery pull.

Hmm, I know how to help you with this one now.

Not game to try to get S-Off, the posts I've read refer to a wire trick and I don't think I'm up for it.

any tips?

Yeah. I didn't like the wire trick, so yeah...just see the link I'll post in a moment.

DGC48

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for all your help. I'm feeling like a pest but very keen to get this phone working and maybe learn enough that I can get more control of my phones in the future.

The PH39.img file is a large file extracted from the Telstra RUU... other posts suggest that it can be used to install the ROM from the SD card... the existing bootloader seems to look for a file by that name on the SD card every time it loads. So I renamed a custom ROM but, as you say, it doesn't work.

Still no luck with your post on the other thread about custom recovery and rooting... I get exactly what I did when I tried the same process with Clockworkmod recovery. The recovery seems to be installed properly in that I get the OKAY and finished messages in the command prompt and also the green bar going to the top on the phone. But when I disconnect the phone and then select recovery, I get the white screen with HTC Logo.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for all your help. I'm feeling like a pest but very keen to get this phone working and maybe learn enough that I can get more control of my phones in the future.

The PH39.img file is a large file extracted from the Telstra RUU... other posts suggest that it can be used to install the ROM from the SD card... the existing bootloader seems to look for a file by that name on the SD card every time it loads. So I renamed a custom ROM but, as you say, it doesn't work.

Still no luck with your post on the other thread about custom recovery and rooting... I get exactly what I did when I tried the same process with Clockworkmod recovery. The recovery seems to be installed properly in that I get the OKAY and finished messages in the command prompt and also the green bar going to the top on the phone. But when I disconnect the phone and then select recovery, I get the white screen with HTC Logo.

It's supposed to look like that for a while, like a minute, then boot into the recovery.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Relock the boot loader, unlock it with your code, and then flash again, that's very peculiar...

DGC48

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again. Was trying to do that but now phone has black screen no matter what I try to do. Sometimes it seems to light up a bit when pressing power button or plugging in to charge. Maybe bad battery - given the problem first occurred when battery was left to run down. Have ordered new battery and will try your fix when it arrives. If battery doesn't help, I'll give up.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again. Was trying to do that but now phone has black screen no matter what I try to do. Sometimes it seems to light up a bit when pressing power button or plugging in to charge. Maybe bad battery - given the problem first occurred when battery was left to run down. Have ordered new battery and will try your fix when it arrives. If battery doesn't help, I'll give up.

When you put it on a charger, does the charge light flash, or does it stay on?

DGC48

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Behaviour a little inconsistent following some testing as follows.
First time, after about 4 seconds the charge light started flashing... it flashed for about another 10 or 15 seconds... then it stayed on for a few seconds then goes off.
Second time, after a battery pull, light came on after about 4 seconds, stayed on for about 4 seconds then goes off
Third and fourth time same as second

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital