vivid froze on white htc screen

servin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I joined this forum because I have no idea what else to do! I went from an inspire that the screen froze up on and I could not get it reset to a vivid (I thought was new and was actually refurbished) well now my vivid is stuck on the white screen. I am completely ignorant to the terms used on here, the only thing I know how to do is get it into the mode to try recovery, factory reset and so on. I have tried all of this. I even tried to run RUU but not sure I'm doing it right, followed prompts and it said device not detected. This is what happened, I was coming home, my phone went completely dead I went to plug it in and it did not show a charge light so i unplugged it and plugged it in again, it then went to the htc white screen and that was it, it would never load up or reboot. I have tried to factory reset, master reset, recovery and as I said run the RUU.
When I reboot it says "locked" I have the latest version I guess called ice cream sandwich, anyway as you can see I'm lost. I did not change anything on my phone, I only use it for talking, texting and apps! I would'nt know how to do anything else on it anyway! Please help me if you can :-\ Thanks

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I can help much. I'd say remove the battery for 15 seconds and reinsert...probably won't really help.

Go up to the search function, advanced search and type in "white screen" without the quotes. I just did and got many hits for that...maybe there's some info there.

Kurt

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Won't help. You need to have HTC Drivers installed for your PC to detect your phone, you only have Android drivers installed I am assuming. Being the nice guy I am, I'm gonna provide you a direct link on where to download the Drivers, from my Dropbox. Install this, open the RUU (Don't run it yet.) From this point, boot into the HBOOT Menu on your phone (Volume Down + Power when phone off) and then when it boots into the HBOOT menu, using your volume and power buttons, select FASTBOOT. Confirm you're there by noticing a banner that says "FASTBOOT". From there, connect your phone. If the banner now says "FASTBOOT USB", your PC recognizes your device. Now, follow the instructions of the RUU and good luck. Let me know if I helped. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayk1y2duwmzhsm1/HTCDriver.exe

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If I had gotten a broken refurbished phone (sold as new) to replace another broken phone... I'd probably be camping out in my local AT&T store until the salesman got me a NEW replacement phone. Even if this is just a software glitch that can be bypassed by doing a little manual work, there's no reason that should be necessary unless YOU did something to make the manual work necessary. Did you talk to AT&T about replacing the replacement phone?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

servin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks are not enough!! You are awesome!!! I followed your instructions exactly and it worked!! I actually bought this phone off ebay for 300.00 and it was listed as new but was actually refurbished, I was going to try to deal with it through ebay but thanks to your help it is back to normal and I could not be more grateful!! Thanks again :))

servin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually I bought it off ebay as a new phone and when I called AT&T for warrenty they said it was refurbished, so warrenty was out. I was going to try to deal with it through ebay but now I don't have to :) No I did'nt do anything myself, I would not know how! I only use it for talk, text and apps, I have no idea how to mess with the other. However with enough research and help from OperationA7X on this forum I just followed steps.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I'm just doing everything I can to help those who use their phones for phones to those who mod their phones out like crazy. You ever have anymore questions or just want some more info about your HTC Vivid, please, feel free to PM me. And to everyone, PM me with questions, I would love to help. I love this forum. :)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
So i got as far as the reboot usb part. What is the RUU? I am little remedial when it comes to stuff like that lol

RUU: Rom Update Utility. Basically, it's a program that installs/upgrades your whole phone (HBOOT and eveything). Now, are you looking for the RUU or did you just need the definition?

morganf12

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
will the RUU installation take off my pictures and videos? thats all I want from my phone!! my screen has been white with the HTC screen for a few weeks now and I really want it to work but I don't want anything to get erased. please get back to me! thank you!

Last edited:

kpindian

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for helping all of us HTC Vivid users.
Mine just white screened, and I installed the driver you linked us to. But I dont know how to open the RUU. I think the driver didnt install properly, and help would be appreciated.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
will the RUU installation take off my pictures and videos? thats all I want from my phone!! my screen has been white with the HTC screen for a few weeks now and I really want it to work but I don't want anything to get erased. please get back to me! thank you!

The RUU won't wipe the external SD card, but will possibly wipe your internal memory, I don't remember. It's been a while since I've bricked a Vivid. If you have a custom recovery, you're saved. If not, well, that's a risk you've gotta be willing to take. I cannot perform it, as my phone is modded and it would take me too long to relock everything.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Suzanne Lesher

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
can i use the boost thing you were talking about on my mac? you said it had to be a PC... but i have a macbook pro. Im more of a PC person...but when grandma gives you a free computer, you take it!

my screen has been stuck on the white screen for awhile now and i need my phone for school and to keep up with my schedule. Please help!!

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
can i use the boost thing you were talking about on my mac? you said it had to be a PC... but i have a macbook pro. Im more of a PC person...but when grandma gives you a free computer, you take it!

my screen has been stuck on the white screen for awhile now and i need my phone for school and to keep up with my schedule. Please help!!

Yes, it's only for PC, not Mac or Linux. Sorry. You can try to located the file for Mac, but I'm not too sure. Since my phone is turned off, I cannot give an ETA on my help.

Hi sir I can't get to that link idk why but my screen is stuck on white and has HTC that's it please help

Which link?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The one to download for the Droid incredible 2 the one you helped the lady servin on

Can I download every thing on my tablet and fix this issue

The lady had, what this forum thread is labeled: HTC Vivid. I know nothing of the DROID Incredible 2 by HTC as I have not had a chance to get one and play around with it.
I have the same question. I cant find where to open the RUU. Help please!!!

Can't find where to open it? Hold on, I'll get another link up. Here it is: dlc.htc.com/application/htc_vivid_att_RUU_3.26.502.56_US.exe

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for helping all of us HTC Vivid users.
Mine just white screened, and I installed the driver you linked us to. But I dont know how to open the RUU. I think the driver didnt install properly, and help would be appreciated.

After downloading the RUU, all you have to do is double click on it to open it and follow the instructions on-screen.