Text Messaging using Data

KurtTX

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the messaging/texting as part of my plan. Is anyone familiar with an app that uses the data plan to send/receive messages?

Thanks...Kurt

apoc53

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I use TextFree (think they're trying to rebrand as Pinger). You'll have to text from a phone number OTHER than your cell number, but once you've explained to everyone why you text from a funny number you don't call from, it's pretty seamless. I've gone so far as to have AT&T block all text communication cos I don't believe in paying an arm and a leg for something that should be free in this age.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
You can use google voice for data messaging. Just sign up with them and they'll provide you with a phone number. Then use the Android app. Easy peasy!

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried or have comments on TextPlus?

Kurt in S.A.

I have used TextPlus. Great and horrible at the same time. Layout looked too much like iOS. Unlimited phone calls in, unlimited texting, ads. The horrible part is when it gets uninstalled. It leaves a file on your microSD/microSDHC card that you can't delete and you have to format the card just to get it off. "Sit emptor cavete".