No sim card error without sim card, no IMEI

jga2z

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got a used AT&T HTC Vivid with what turns out are 2 anomalies that I failed to observe initially.
First I tried to put my ST sim card out my AT&T SGS, and get no service. No big shock initially since I have to change the APN info. Couldn't do that cause option is dimmed.Checked further, unknown IMEI, IMEI SV, no baseband. Took sim out and observed that I get NO sim error at startup, just "no service". Tried an AT&T sim from a friends Vivid, same result.
I was hoping that the sim card reader just might be bad, a cheap easy fix and apparently some what of a common issue. Haven't ordered one yet until I get more info on whether the no sim error and no IMEI etc are related and it's not a more serious hardware issue.
I don't think (but don't know 4 sure) that this phone is anything other than an out of the box stock configuration. I don't have service with AT&T so I don't know how much help they would be. I did check with them to make sure IMEI printed on the phone wasn't blacklisted and it's OK. All I have done was to do a factory reset to clear all the PO's stuff.
I don't have a problem with repairing hardware if needed.I'm a noob here, but have a brain like a sponge, so any thoughts on how to proceed with diagnostics would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I had a similar problem with my Galaxy SII. I dropped it one day and BAM! it stopped working. When I checked further, I saw that it had 'lost' the IMEI, effectively turning my device into an iPod. There are some tools out there that will let you write files over and set up the IMEI again, but in my case, none of the worked.

Even Samsung Repairs couldn't bring it back to life. They said they had to replace the motherboard and, back then, that would cost me the same as getting an early upgrade on my plan. Long story short, I upgraded to the Note 2. I now upgraded to the S4 with what I got from selling the Note 2 :p hehehe

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can run the RUU without service. It's just a way to format it back to stock.

There's unlocking the bootloader and unlocking the phone for other carriers.

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is already stock why would I need to do this? Does it restore some possibly messed up data that is causing my problems?

Yes. It returns the phone to "out-of-the-box". Does not erase any saved files.

Mary Daughtry

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
same problem

Same prblem here what is the fix a new sim tray i have to order a new charging port as well but will this gix it i just paid my bill
Funny thing is i called att they said imei was changed yesterday but not on black listed and work fir 10 min after csllung att but then stoped again

jga2z

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I finally got a new SIM/SD card reader and installed it. No change.Tried ST, AT&T, and T-mobile sims
Still get no SIM error when booting with or without a SIM card, has an X on signal strength, and it doesn't even say "no service".
Same as to IMEI etc. info, nothing shows up.
Am I going to have to change mainboard? Or is it possible firmware/ROM changes could fix it?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I finally got a new SIM/SD card reader and installed it. No change.Tried ST, AT&T, and T-mobile sims
Still get no SIM error when booting with or without a SIM card, has an X on signal strength, and it doesn't even say "no service".
Same as to IMEI etc. info, nothing shows up.
Am I going to have to change mainboard? Or is it possible firmware/ROM changes could fix it?

Maybe you replaced it wrong, or the card reader is defective.

jga2z

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you replaced it wrong, or the card reader is defective.

There are a number of detailed disassembly videos. The replacing was childs play.
The chance obviously exists that the replacement part was bad, so luckily the ebay seller is sending me another for free.
The bad sign is that this phone not only does not recognize any SIM, it never gives an error that no SIM card is present. I did not, and do not have a SD card issue (same component)

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
There are a number of detailed disassembly videos. The replacing was childs play.
The chance obviously exists that the replacement part was bad, so luckily the ebay seller is sending me another for free.
The bad sign is that this phone not only does not recognize any SIM, it never gives an error that no SIM card is present. I did not, and do not have a SD card issue (same component)

Might be time for a new SIM?

jga2z

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Might be time for a new SIM?

You might have not reread the thread, but I tried 3 different SIMS from working phones, and none worked in the Vivid.
I noticed that the SIM lock in settings is checked on (require PIN to use phone) When I tried to change SIM pin it wants the old SIM pin ( I never had the old SIM). Could this be part of the problem? As a side note my AT&T Samsung Captivate (now using a StraightTalk SIM) does not have the SIM lock on.
I imagine it has nothing to do with the no IMEI issue so I haven't looked into it more yet.
Would flashing stock ROM or ICS upgrade or custom one do anything to fix the IMEI or SIM lock issues?
Just to reiterate I never had service with this phone so AT&T update of OS won't work.
In the end I'd like to unlock the phone to work on T-Mobile, WalMart Family plan it's $30/mo for unlimited with lifeline discount.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You might have not reread the thread, but I tried 3 different SIMS from working phones, and none worked in the Vivid.
I noticed that the SIM lock in settings is checked on (require PIN to use phone) When I tried to change SIM pin it wants the old SIM pin ( I never had the old SIM). Could this be part of the problem? As a side note my AT&T Samsung Captivate (now using a StraightTalk SIM) does not have the SIM lock on.
I imagine it has nothing to do with the no IMEI issue so I haven't looked into it more yet.
Would flashing stock ROM or ICS upgrade or custom one do anything to fix the IMEI or SIM lock issues?
Just to reiterate I never had service with this phone so AT&T update of OS won't work.
In the end I'd like to unlock the phone to work on T-Mobile, WalMart Family plan it's $30/mo for unlimited with lifeline discount.

Old PIN is no go, so...flash the stock ICS ROM via the RUU and that could work then since the OS is what locks the SIM before fully booting up.

keighleyy

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I think I am having a similar problem: a few days ago my battery died and when I turned the phone back on about 4 hours later, it said it no longer recognized the sim card. I don't get a sim error, just an x above the reception bars, and when I go to the different settings I get different errors ranging from no sim card to service not available to just "error".
Other than battery dying there was no trauma, and I have left the battery dead for longer before (eg over night).

Tried factory data reset, RUU, and removing battery and SIM turning it on and off a billion times. Even left it off and dismantled for 48 hours.

I bought it used in April, got the white htc screen of death about a week after buying it and RUU reset it then, then had problems sending texts and calls on and off until I spent 2 weeks in another country a few months later. Since then everything has been peachy (though no idea why)... until now! Since all that other stuff didn't help, any idea of what else could be wrong or how to fix it? Should I take it to a repair shop?
If I didn't like the camera and processor so much I would have gone office space printer scene on this thing a long time ago.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I think I am having a similar problem: a few days ago my battery died and when I turned the phone back on about 4 hours later, it said it no longer recognized the sim card. I don't get a sim error, just an x above the reception bars, and when I go to the different settings I get different errors ranging from no sim card to service not available to just "error".
Other than battery dying there was no trauma, and I have left the battery dead for longer before (eg over night).

Tried factory data reset, RUU, and removing battery and SIM turning it on and off a billion times. Even left it off and dismantled for 48 hours.

I bought it used in April, got the white htc screen of death about a week after buying it and RUU reset it then, then had problems sending texts and calls on and off until I spent 2 weeks in another country a few months later. Since then everything has been peachy (though no idea why)... until now! Since all that other stuff didn't help, any idea of what else could be wrong or how to fix it? Should I take it to a repair shop?
If I didn't like the camera and processor so much I would have gone office space printer scene on this thing a long time ago.

That's interesting. Have you cleaned the contacts?

jga2z

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I'm getting nowhere. I was going to try to see if an RUU to ICS would do anything, but I can't get the phone to accept the RUU when I run it on the PC. The update loads and when finished just quits, nothing happens on phone. tried with phone on, USB debugging enabled. also started phone in hboot>fastboot. No response from phone.

Another problem I discovered while trying another trick involving airplane mode on/off/on to fix the problem. I can turn on airplane mode from power button option, but cannot turn it off. going to setting>wireless/network>airplane mode, enable it then disable it, "airplane mode on" displays in notification top of screen then goes off, but power button option still says it's on!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781