[TUTORIAL][S-OFF] Virgin Mobile CDMA S-OFF Without XTC-Clip Confi

sk8tr5955

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I spent hours reading post after post and thread after thread trying to figure out how I could get S-OFF on my Virgin Mobile Wildfire S without having to use an XTC clip. I was told by another user (thehumble1) that I was able to do it without the use of an XTC Clip and it seems to only work with CDMA versions of the Wildfire S. So after hours of trial and error and frustration I finally was able to get S-OFF without the use of an XTC Clip. I decided to write a tutorial specifically to the Virgin Mobile Wildfire S users so that they don't have to do all the searching that I did.

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY BE DONE TO YOUR PHONE WHILE FOLLOWING THIS TUTORIAL*
*READ AND FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY OR YOU "WILL" RUN INTO PROBLEMS*

CREATING A GOLD CARD

Ok first we need to modify an sd card to make something called a gold card. Don't ask me what it is because honestly I have no idea I just know it is a necessary process in getting S-OFF.

1. Backup all files on your SD card as we will be formatting the card and you will lose all of your data.
2. Plug your phone into your computer and make sure hard disk mode is chosen. (Make sure USB debugging is turned on also)
3.Extract SimpleGoldCard_v1.zip to your desktop and start SimpleGoldCard.exe.
4. Select your SD card's drive letter in the drop down menu under "Step 1 - Format SD Card" and then select Format. If your drive letter is not showing up try pressing the refresh button next to the drop down menu.
5. Select ok when it says Format Complete then turn your phones USB Connection option to Charge Only instead of Disk Drive.
6. Next under "Step 3" select the MMC1 radio button and then click on GetCID. (It will produce a long list of jumbled numbers and letters this is your SD card ID)
7. Then select the link under "Step 4 - Request for IMG file". Copy the long ID from "Step 3" and paste it into the CID space on the web page you just opened and then fill out the captcha form and click Download to download your goldcard.img file (Save to your desktop)(the goldcard.img files are specific to individual SD Cards)
8. Close the page once you have downloaded your file and then bring back the Simple Gold Card application. Under "Step 5 - Load IMG File And Patch" select Load IMG and locate the goldcard.img file that you just downloaded and select it.
9. Put your phone back into Disk Drive mode and then click Patch MMC. Once everything is complete you should have a working gold card. (To make sure, remove your SD card and reinsert it and make sure that it still functions normally.

After your gold card has been made you need to download and unrar the DIAG Files.rar file I have uploaded. Extract the of the folder to the root of the new Gold Card you have just made. There should be two files and it should look like this when you are complete.

F:/PG76DIAG.nbh
F:/PG76DIAG.zip

*F being the letter of your removable drive whatever that may be

Before we move on to the next step we need to make sure that Fast Boot is turned off. So to do that you need to go to Settings/Power and then make sure Fast Boot is not selected.

INSTALLING THE DIAG FILES

1. Once that has been done power off your phone and pull the battery for a good 5 seconds just to make sure it's completely off.
2. Boot into HBOOT by holding Volume down while pressing the power button (you do not need to hold the power button, only hold the volume down button) The HBOOT screen will boot up and then you can let go of the Volume down button.
3. The phone will automatically scan the SD card for the files we just put on the root of the SD card and will start the update process.
4. A screen will appear that says Clean s58. Press the power button once to select clean s58 and the phone will start doing it's thing and should take about a good 20 seconds until it's finished.
5. Once the process is complete then pull the battery to turn the phone off.
6. Once the phone is off remove the SD card so that the phone doesn't install the DIAG files when we boot into HBOOT to check if we now have S-OFF.
7. Boot into HBOOT again by holding Volume down and quickly pressing the power button. The phone should boot into HBOOT and at the top of the screen it should now say S-OFF. Congratulations you now have Security off on your Virgin Mobile Wildfire S!

Now all that is left to do is restart your phone, reformat the SD card to remove the files we don't need anymore and restore your backed up files and your all set. You may now root your phone and do whatever it is that you wanted S-OFF for.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Comments are welcome. Any corrections or things that need to be changed as well let me know. This is my very first tutorial ever on AndroidCentral so I hope that I was able to help some people out. All feedback is welcome and if this tutorial helped please give me a thanks.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: [TUTORIAL][S-OFF] Virgin Mobile CDMA S-OFF Without XTC-Clip C

Thanks for this! Do you have somewhere I can go to figure out how to root the Wildfire for VM and install a recovery? What about custom roms? Thanks!!!!

mbbous

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

yeah thanks, but has anyone found a way to continue on rooting and flashing on after this step on a VM wildfire?

mkm1126

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Is there an alternative website for creating goldcards? Apparently this the one at RevSkills is down. Thanks in advance!

RimasRS

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

What is CDMA version how can I check is my Wildfire S is CDMA? Thanks.

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

What is CDMA version how can I check is my Wildfire S is CDMA? Thanks.

CDMA is really easy to check, behind the battery there is NO slot for a little card, know as the sim card.
GSM, there is a sim card

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for this! Do you have somewhere I can go to figure out how to root the Wildfire for VM and install a recovery? What about custom roms? Thanks!!!!

Try going to my thread above for the recovery. The rom is a wip and isnt booting yet, but im working on it

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Also, do you think this will work for US Cellular CDMA? Thanks!

Your question gave wonder in me so I decided to look at what this is basically doing.
Heres what I found:
1. The gold card is the workaround to HBOOT's way of checking if the card is the manufacture or not (they have a CID key that we dont) but we bypass their check by making them think it is infact the manufacture.
2. The files: they are files from an XTC clip I believe. There what unlock this bootloader, and if we had a simcard they would unlock that too (if the sim happened to be the XTC clips little wire thing)
3. The check that makes XTC clip neccessary, for GSM phones: When this file is run, it looks to the sim to see what it says about this. Most of the time the sim isnt saying anything, calling for the XTC. (why if you try this on GSM, you get an reboot and nothing else too) But we dont even have a sim slot. Instead of stopping right there, it procedes to do its thing.

I have from my research SAFELY concluded this can be used on ANY CDMA carrier in the US. US Cellular happens to be CDMA so mkm you CAN do this on your phone. Let us all know when your S-Off :)

RimasRS

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

Your question gave wonder in me so I decided to look at what this is basically doing.
Heres what I found:
1. The gold card is the workaround to HBOOT's way of checking if the card is the manufacture or not (they have a CID key that we dont) but we bypass their check by making them think it is infact the manufacture.
2. The files: they are files from an XTC clip I believe. There what unlock this bootloader, and if we had a simcard they would unlock that too (if the sim happened to be the XTC clips little wire thing)
3. The check that makes XTC clip neccessary, for GSM phones: When this file is run, it looks to the sim to see what it says about this. Most of the time the sim isnt saying anything, calling for the XTC. (why if you try this on GSM, you get an reboot and nothing else too) But we dont even have a sim slot. Instead of stopping right there, it procedes to do its thing.

I have from my research SAFELY concluded this can be used on ANY CDMA carrier in the US. US Cellular happens to be CDMA so mkm you CAN do this on your phone. Let us all know when your S-Off :)

Aghh that means I can't do it with my GSM phone.... So you say the only way to S-OFF my phone is still XTC clip?

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Aghh that means I can't do it with my GSM phone.... So you say the only way to S-OFF my phone is still XTC clip?

Sadly for GSM you must have the XTC Clip. If you try youll just keep rebooting your phone

Also, glad to hear you rooted with Superoneclick. Its the method i used in my post. Come check it out now your rooted, were the other big thread going on here
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ernel-rom-wildfire-s-virgin-mobile-usa-3.html

mkm1126

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Heres what I found:

Thanks for the reply! That is excellent news! I am going try it now and will report back. From there, I believe I will need root to get rid of this bloatware, correct? If so, where can I find that?

EDIT: Sadly, I'm getting an error that says, this tool is for MAL#CT. chipset_pid:129 Then in bold letters: Get SW Version. Any ideas?

EDIT2: I don't think it likes PG76DIAG.zip for some reason, I get an error when it grabs this file, but it disappears before I can read it. I'll keep trying.

EDIT3: SUCCESS!!! WOOT!!! Well, I decided to ignore the message and press power when it got to that point. It continued as you stated in the OP and all went well. Shrugs . . . not sure what that message was about, but I have S-OFF! Thank you SOOOOO much!! Now, on to root! I can confirm, this does indeed work for US Cellular CDMA Wildfire S Phones!

EDIT4: Excellent! Root, Custom Recovery, both work great! Loving it! Thank you so much for posting up the directions. I followed your guide here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...-kernel-rom-wildfire-s-virgin-mobile-usa.html

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

doramy

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Hello,

On my phone box, there is writen ''wcdma''.. is it the same thing that cdma ? Will it work for me ?

Thanks

ddulak

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

EDIT2: I don't think it likes PG76DIAG.zip for some reason, I get an error when it grabs this file, but it disappears before I can read it. I'll keep trying.

EDIT3: SUCCESS!!! WOOT!!! Well, I decided to ignore the message and press power when it got to that point. It continued as you stated in the OP and all went well. Shrugs . . . not sure what that message was about, but I have S-OFF! Thank you SOOOOO much!! Now, on to root! I can confirm, this does indeed work for US Cellular CDMA Wildfire S Phones!

Thanks again!!

edit 2 im getting the same error how did you get past that it tells me security fail update fail pres <power> to reboot how did you get past that part

Shimmy583

May 3, 2011
Visit site
edit 2 im getting the same error how did you get past that it tells me security fail update fail pres <power> to reboot how did you get past that part

I'm getting that error, too. Everything appears to go off without a hitch, but I get the "Security fail!" and "Update Fail!" messages no matter how many times I retry.

My SD card now shows as "Gold Card" when I switch to Disk Drive mode and I have the aforementioned files on the card.

I do get a brief "No images found!" message when the SD card scan begins in HBoot, then the scan continues.

This is my first experience with turning S-Off, so it's all a little unfamiliar to me.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

ddulak

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

yeah exact same thing

im guessing the problem might of been when transferring the file to the card cause i tried it so many times each time with the same error