[WIP][KERNEL][ROM] Wildfire S Virgin Mobile USA

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you need camaraderie, you can always pm/ spill your guts out to me. I'm going through a pretty sad period myself... so at least I can relate, bro.

Sent from my Optimus Slider

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, i got everything straightened out, and am doin better. Back in the sattle again :) Now to just freaking get repo to sync completely !! had to delete my files to resync cause of corruption and what do you know, i keep erroring out on the sync

2fast4u88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok what do you guys need help with since I should have looked harder at xda. Porting cm won't be that hard if the gsm variant has it. The kernel work isn't hard either as long as the gsm one has the cdma stuff in it. A aosp kernel is a different thing. Clockworkmod porting it takes about 5mins though I see you have a build. As for setting up a device folder for cm it would only take a bit to do that.

How ever say thanks to Mkm1126 for point me to this thread. Otherwise I wouldn't have probably offered help. With that said if you guys want help if you could do a backup, followed by upload it somewhere. Along with supply what ever you may have info wise that would help. Or what you may need help with. Also what kernel you guys using to boot cm now? Stock or the gsm one? If gsm what issues does it have right now?

Also as you can tell I don't venture here much. Where I will check back in a few hours. How ever if someone with gtalk and experience will want to pm me for my gtalk info I will share it there. Then they can relay the messages here, as I doubt I have much time.

To simon cm's repo is fine. Where if you edited the source in some way it will bork syncing. Takes a few things to get it not to and depends on what you borked. How ever if you know the folder that you borked you can delete it. Then re-sync to get it fixed. If you are getting sync errors to a new folder it may be the case that I just helped with. Where the only fix was a new install of linux. If on the new ubuntu or the version before, where it happens to be 64 bit you will more than likely get some issues also.

Edit: Also I see one correction and that is you do not need 64bit linux to build on. Froyo can be built on 32bit with out a issue. Along can gingerbread how ever if it isn't cm source it needs patched to build on 32bit. Cm will build on 32 or 64 just fine. As for ics that is a different story.

Last edited:

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
With VMUS its definitely harder than even I expected, I have experience on porting, just cant get this one going. Ive made progress but my last build was corrupt (yes, something I did haha) so i fresh installed Oneric X64. Is that a problem? do i need the LTS 64 I got the origional kernels source, and it does have the CDMA in it. We have a working clockwork But thanks :)

Also its my connection, git works fine, but repo keeps freezing and i have to keep hitting ctrl+c to get it to keep going through the process till it eventually says "fatal: (branch name here)" for remaining branches, and then it will just hang and i have to ctrl+z to get it to where i can try again.. cant get it to finish. Git was error free with the kernel though, is there any way i can download with git? Theres bound to be a way.
Also i can submit a backup on here, if youd like. But its stock now, had to go back after my build went corrupt from my changes, then had no backup of a previous build. (wont make that again)
I used the stock kernel for GSM but added our nessessary blobs into it, booted fine. But no ext no OC, slow, lots of FC's ect

Ill be PMing you soon, im the Dev here with the builds (that i know of, i think im the only one working on the VMUS version) but if anyone wants to help there welcome
Edit: i plan on building ics eventually so im staying with 64 bit

Last edited:

2fast4u88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I am not familiar with that os right off. Was pointing out if ubuntu it has issues as I have gone through them. The the 64bit thing was just saying. I haven't tried to build ics yet but it may not be needed again for it though says it is.

As for the backup I was wanting a stock one. That way I have a stock kernel to play with and everything is in it needed to build from. Well for the most part any way. Also as for the kernel source you sure cdma is in it? If so the kernel shouldn't be a issue as long as the configs are right.

Also you keep saying ext. How ever I keep seeing people complain about the free mb on this phone. Where if that is true I would venture to guess it is a nand device. As if it were emmc I would think it would have more memory than what is said. If you can post here or pm me what adb shell then mounts says.

youtashiro

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi! Just wanted to say thanks to simonsimons! Thanks to you, now I have another Wildfire S from VM US S-OFF and Rooted. Its not mine but from a friend of mine, if I can get some regrets from him that will go direct to your paypal account!

Just some questions, now that the phone has root i got this ota system update, could I install it without problem? And what about master reset, its still safe to do it? Thanks!

Dr0idn3wb

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
First off, thank you simonsimons34 my phone is now s-off and rooted. This is my first android phone and tinkering with it is a must, especially with the terrible memory space. :p. Also Thanks to lokito15 I had the same problem with rooting as you and your posts probably saved me countless hours of searching.

Everything went pretty smooth, the two hiccups I had were getting the CID which required me restarting my pc to finally get it after installing HTC drivers. And the problem of the adb server out of date which went smoothly after killing HTC sync.

Now on to the custom recovery and link2sd. And possibly the internet trick, we will see. I will post back and let you know how that goes.

So again another thanks to simonsimons34 and lokito15. And if I ever get my finances straightened out I'll throw a few dollars your way because this was worth it. :-$

2fast4u88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I need a tester for a one click off method. Also I just realized this but the op to this thread needs to credit the op of the s-off procedure. As I don't believe it was him but someone on xda. Where taking donations for another persons work gets you put on the crap list.

Edit: For anyone interested in the one click it will automate s-off, installing cwm, installing root/superuser and busybox. If you would like to test it please pm me. I will also make a thread for it.

Also on another note is the cwm in this sticky the gsm one? If so I would really not recommend to use it as recovery is built on top of a kernel. Where the board is different in the phone from gsm to cdma. A gsm kernel will work on cdma how ever hardware or graphic glitches may come up. Which would be why I said I wouldn't use it. Basic functions to the average eye may work but there may be a issue somewhere in it.

If someone would be kind enough to share a back-up of the t-mobile rom as I already have someone doing the uscc one. I will build a rom with ext support and some other goodies. As for a oc kernel that works correctly since the board is different that is comming. Followed by a clockworkmod build for the cdma. Also to note you can play with the gsm roms as long as you use the cdma boot.img. How ever wifi will not work so you need the wifi module from gsm. Followed by the camera or other things may not work which boils down to the blobs/libs different.

You will not brick your phone trying a gsm rom either. Just restore the backup you made. Also and cdma ruu/rom should work on any cdma device.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
About the cmda ruu and what you said about the clockworkmod recovery possibly being a gsm version, could that be what is bricking the cdma wildfires when they run it? My first wildfire was s-offed using the instructions from here, then I followed the root instructions from XDA and used the recovery from there as well. When I ran the virgin mobile ruu it bricked my phone, could it be possible that is what is doing it?

Oh, and I did make the mistake of flashing a gsm rom to this phone, all worked fine but wifi and data, restoring my nandroid backup fixed that...gotta love nandroid.

2fast4u88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
About the cmda ruu and what you said about the clockworkmod recovery possibly being a gsm version, could that be what is bricking the cdma wildfires when they run it? My first wildfire was s-offed using the instructions from here, then I followed the root instructions from XDA and used the recovery from there as well. When I ran the virgin mobile ruu it bricked my phone, could it be possible that is what is doing it?

Oh, and I did make the mistake of flashing a gsm rom to this phone, all worked fine but wifi and data, restoring my nandroid backup fixed that...gotta love nandroid.

What exactly is it doing to be bricked? As the cdma wildfire will be the same across all carriers. Which means the h-boot and radio will work on every carrier. How ever like on the htc merge flashing a cdma radio messes up the prl update (*228). Otherwise it works as normal and only on a select few radios. You should also be able to flash the carrier ruu's with no issue as far as a brick is concerned. As the kernel/boot.img will be the same. The only issue you may run into is the market reporting the wrong carrier for you or mms not working.

It also depends on how you are flashing the ruu's. As if doing a fastboot image or the exe. You should never get a brick. If you are then I would venture to guess there is a issue with this s-off method. Where I can't confirm or deny that, due to no test device. Any other android device out there that is s-off can run any ruu though keeping the same device in question. This means cdma to cdma ruu. Then gsm to gsm ruu. As for cwm it is wiped when flashing a ruu file though depending on what type of s-off this is giving. It should still keep s-off and you can flash the cwm again.

As for what I was saying about cwm. The gsm kernel from what I can tell is booting for you guys. Which is due to the hardware being close. How ever you will have things not working. The example would be cdma and gsm desire. Where due to the kernel differences there is a cdma and gsm clockwork. I wouldn't ideally use one built for gsm, though nothing bad may happen.

Then comes the s-off part. Where previous s-off attempts from alpha-rev or similar had a tool to restore s-on. Only for gsm as far as I am aware though. Other s-off attempts were done by a eng bootloader which installing a locked bootloader would revert it. Then the one I a familiar with is gfree for emmc devices which allows toggling of s-off/s-on. Where neither of the above examples either works for you guys or exists to the public.

Edit: Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as informative as I could, due to not much of any info for you guys.

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Basically my first Wildfire was S- off, rooted with clockwork recovery. I ran the RUU.exe from windows as instructed and it seemed to be going well, then my phone turned off, vibrated 3 times and did nothing more. I was unable to get into recovery or boot for that matter. Each time I would try I just got the 3 vibrates again. I had a 30-day return policy so I just returned it and got a new one.

Hopefully I am understanding you, so I can flash any ROM for the Wildfire S, GSM or CDMA(when they exist) and it should work if I can get the right radio?

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
First off, thank you simonsimons34 my phone is now s-off and rooted. This is my first android phone and tinkering with it is a must, especially with the terrible memory space. :p. Also Thanks to lokito15 I had the same problem with rooting as you and your posts probably saved me countless hours of searching.

Everything went pretty smooth, the two hiccups I had were getting the CID which required me restarting my pc to finally get it after installing HTC drivers. And the problem of the adb server out of date which went smoothly after killing HTC sync.

Now on to the custom recovery and link2sd. And possibly the internet trick, we will see. I will post back and let you know how that goes.

So again another thanks to simonsimons34 and lokito15. And if I ever get my finances straightened out I'll throw a few dollars your way because this was worth it. :-$
Haha glad it worked for you :) have a better way to root now

I need a tester for a one click off method. Also I just realized this but the op to this thread needs to credit the op of the s-off procedure. As I don't believe it was him but someone on xda. Where taking donations for another persons work gets you put on the crap list.

Edit: For anyone interested in the one click it will automate s-off, installing cwm, installing root/superuser and busybox. If you would like to test it please pm me. I will also make a thread for it.

Also on another note is the cwm in this sticky the gsm one? If so I would really not recommend to use it as recovery is built on top of a kernel. Where the board is different in the phone from gsm to cdma. A gsm kernel will work on cdma how ever hardware or graphic glitches may come up. Which would be why I said I wouldn't use it. Basic functions to the average eye may work but there may be a issue somewhere in it.

If someone would be kind enough to share a back-up of the t-mobile rom as I already have someone doing the uscc one. I will build a rom with ext support and some other goodies. As for a oc kernel that works correctly since the board is different that is comming. Followed by a clockworkmod build for the cdma. Also to note you can play with the gsm roms as long as you use the cdma boot.img. How ever wifi will not work so you need the wifi module from gsm. Followed by the camera or other things may not work which boils down to the blobs/libs different.

You will not brick your phone trying a gsm rom either. Just restore the backup you made. Also and cdma ruu/rom should work on any cdma device.
the recovery works fine, every feature (Fully tested everything, exhaustively) No errors at all.. ITs safe to use everyone.. And dont use the Ruu on this phone it WILL BRICK IT, NO IF ANDS OR BUTS. Trust me, ive learned this through two reports!

Oh and if you need a tester, just tell me how to get this back to s - on and such and I will gladly test a one-click for you.
S on wont matter :) some ship S-off and that means your warranty isnt voided.. But even if it did and you went stock, that in my book is warranty fraud

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Basically my first Wildfire was S- off, rooted with clockwork recovery. I ran the RUU.exe from windows as instructed and it seemed to be going well, then my phone turned off, vibrated 3 times and did nothing more. I was unable to get into recovery or boot for that matter. Each time I would try I just got the 3 vibrates again. I had a 30-day return policy so I just returned it and got a new one.

Hopefully I am understanding you, so I can flash any ROM for the Wildfire S, GSM or CDMA(when they exist) and it should work if I can get the right radio?

Actually there is a bit of a misunderstanding there. Our kernel has to be right, or some hardware wont work. Our boot.img has to be right or it may not even boot. We could easily port an existing rom over no problems, but it takes more work than just downloading it..
Also that RUU... Dont use RUU on this phone, nomatter what anyone tells you. Im not trying to offend anyone here, but Virginmobile USA is different about their phones. they lock it down more than a russian prison.. Look that up if you dont get it. Some dev's (like i did before my OV) think that just because its all the same board itll work, well it doesnt.. Vm changes things, remember that for all intensive purposes

nba

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hey simonsimons34 thanks for all of this, i love my phone now...one question i wanna ask, i installed the sense 3.0 lockscreen and it works perfectly but iits supposed to be alittle higher on the screen, do u know how this can be fixed or if another apk is needed to make it look how its suppose to? i've seen other wildfire s roms (gsm) that add this lockscreen and make it look perfect.

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Your welcome :) and to the question, can you upload the file? ill take a look at it for you, if its too locked down i might not be able to do anything about it till i look more into thoes roms :)

nba

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
heres the file...im thinking that i need another apk that changes some system interface...i also installed rosie.apk so i can change the lockscreen icons, and the systemui.apk installs and makes the lockscreen function and look perfect but it removes the entire statusbar. thanks for the help!:)

2fast4u88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually there is a bit of a misunderstanding there. Our kernel has to be right, or some hardware wont work. Our boot.img has to be right or it may not even boot. We could easily port an existing rom over no problems, but it takes more work than just downloading it..
Also that RUU... Dont use RUU on this phone, nomatter what anyone tells you. Im not trying to offend anyone here, but Virginmobile USA is different about their phones. they lock it down more than a russian prison.. Look that up if you dont get it. Some dev's (like i did before my OV) think that just because its all the same board itll work, well it doesnt.. Vm changes things, remember that for all intensive purposes

Ok I don't mind you saying you know some things. How ever you didn't know this till last night where I told you on gtalk. The phone is cdma you can flash any cdma rom or ruu. It doesn't matter on the carrier or not as there is not 12 variations of the cdma wildfire. As it would be pointless to do. The gsm kernel should work on cdma. You are also comparing apples to oranges. If you know what you are doing any rom will work on any device. Followed my every wildifire will be locked just as the other will be. Carrier has nothing to do with it as htc ships it with s-on.

You can take your cdma boot.img from a backup. Flop it in the gsm rom where it should boot. If not switch a few blobs. Then if you may have camera issues or something little which is a pretty easy fix. As in how you think simmon has booted cm ? The ruu that is suppose to be bricking phones if it did then it isn't a cdma rom. If you have the link I will extract it to see if it is. Where if you were s-off you could use a gsm ruu more than likely and get a brick. That or that ruu is borked.

I will repeat this for the last time you can use any cdma wildfire s radio, ruu, h-boot or kernel. Also as I proved to you last night on gtalk saying the wildfire s cdma is the same as the gsm. It is not the board is different due to different hardware. I would recommend to search other devices before saying that is wrong. Heck the cdma desire is the same as the gsm on the outside. But inside it is not.

Since the board is different the kernel is different. Since the kernel is different then the clockworkmods are different. Basic functions of the recovery may work but was not built from the actual device kernel. If you insist to use it by all means do. How ever I don't believe even though the gsm desire kernel will work on the cdma desire for the most part. Where recovery would work the same as you are stating. That koush would build two different builds for the heck of it. :p

Reactions: insink71

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21