[WIP][KERNEL][ROM] Wildfire S Virgin Mobile USA

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The root of the sdcard is just the sdcard, not in another folder
you can now unlock with htcdev.com and i reccomend that for noobs, as you cant flash anything that will totally brick your phone

ajohnson747

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the great instructions. My phone is now rooted and s-off. I want to try the PRL, but like others, question whether or not it will actually increase the download upload speeds of the 3g. Also, aren't the PRLs based on location? would these work for the upstate new york area?? Thanks

ajohnson747

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I am attempting to do the prl change. The steps are below for reference:

I am OK up until step 10. I downloaded QPST to my computer and unzipped the 60681 to my computer as well. Well I go to device manager in windows 7, it has the unknown device labeled as "HTC Diag". When I go to update the driver, I assume that I need to look in the HTC DIAG files I downloaded. When I choose the Win 7 64 folder, the computer says it could not find the device driver. Any idea what I am doing wrong??

Change PRL for faster Internet and better signal:
You must download QPST, the PRL file, an app on the phone and be rooted:
1) download this on the phone https://market.android.com/details?i...code.msl&hl=en
2) Open the app, and accept the superuser request.
3) Tap read MSL
4) Write down your MSL, you'll need it
5) Go to the phone app, dial ##PORT# and hit on, then select.
6) Enter your MSL and click OK
7) Plug into a computer and download HTC diag drivers attached to this thread
8) Go ahead and Google and download QPST
9) Download and unzip the attached 60681.zip
10) Now for fun, If anything confuses you, Google it.
10B) go to the device manager, and select the unknown HTC device, then update driver. then browse>let me pick from a list>have disk>go to downloaded unzipped folder>choose the appropriate folder for your OS type>click the driver. Now open, next, yes, close. Right click HTC Modem, and go to Properties>Advanced port settings>see what your COM port is
10C)Open QPST CONFIGURATION and select port. then add port, here you type the port your HTC MODEM is on.
10D) Your phone will now show up, and you will click start client>service programing
11) click your device and OK.
12) DO EXACTLY AS I SAY NOW! NOTHING ELSE!!! NO LOOKING AROUND!!!!!!!
13) Click read from phone, Give it the MSL you wrote down
14) Now click save to file
15) Click roam
16) Click browse where it says file and in that you put the 60681.prl you downloaded AND unzipped
17) Write to phone. THIS WILL RESTART THE PHONE, BOOT MAY TAKE A WHILE DON'T PANIC
18) Enjoy faster Internet
WIP:

ajohnson747

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Forget it-- got it to work. User error......like most times! Great tutorial-- just need to follow it EXACTLY-- which I obviously didn't do. PRL change appears to speed up 3G, too!

JaimeDiego

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the great instructions. My phone is now rooted and s-off. I want to try the PRL, but like others, question whether or not it will actually increase the download upload speeds of the 3g. Also, aren't the PRLs based on location? would these work for the upstate new york area?? Thanks

JaimeDiego

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the great instructions. My phone is now rooted and s-off. I want to try the PRL, but like others, question whether or not it will actually increase the download upload speeds of the 3g. Also, aren't the PRLs based on location? would I these work for the upstate new york area?? Thanks

Hey I am trying to s off my HTC wildfire s and I have green all around to all forums and trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. Did you use the card that came with the phone? Where did you get the files you used?

2fast4u88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you gsm or cdma? If gsm you need to use the unlock tool or xtc clip. If cdma you can use the original guide a few thread down in this section. You may also use my tool to do it if you like. How ever keep in mind that you need the misc-image fixed after s-offing using the guide or tool by myself. This is due to the corruption of the misc-image. It won't hurt the phone at all, how ever with out knowing the carrier I can't give the right one to you.

Or if you just want unlock you can use the htc unlock tool on it. How ever it isn't full s-off though allows flashing of roms. You can also use both together if you like. Though isn't needed at all, plus htc would now know you are unlocked as well if you went with the htc unlock tool.

JaimeDiego

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you gsm or cdma? If gsm you need to use the unlock tool or xtc clip. If cdma you can use the original guide a few thread down in this section. You may also use my tool to do it if you like. How ever keep in mind that you need the misc-image fixed after s-offing using the guide or tool by myself. This is due to the corruption of the misc-image. It won't hurt the phone at all, how ever with out knowing the carrier I can't give the right one to you.

Or if you just want unlock you can use the htc unlock tool on it. How ever it isn't full s-off though allows flashing of roms. You can also use both together if you like. Though isn't
needed at all, plus htc would now know you are unlocked as well if you went with the htc unlock tool.

I am using the cdma virgin mobile wildfire s.

Silent7x

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I have done the root and prl hack but recently upgraded my Micro SD card from 2gb to 16gb and wiped my phone to factory settings. Will it still have root and the prl hack? I see SuperUser so it should have root but what about the prl or do I need to do it again?

Thanks

forgiv

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Used your guide to S-Off, Install Custom Recovery and Root my vm marvelc. The CM7 alpha works about 90 percent. The only problems I have are that the camera doesn't work, the camera app crashes the phone entirely, other camera apps also freeze phone. The second problem isn't really a problem, just a little thing about how to ROM detects the carrier. It seems confused and detects US Cellular as my carrier, oh well. Everything else works 100 percent! GREAT WORK!

I'll keep trying to find more bugs.

*bluetooth not working
*wifi tethering not working
*wrong carrier name
*camera causes crash

Last edited:

simonsimons34

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone.
PS I'm pretty sure a reset ly deletes data partition, so you should be fine. However you will always be soff
Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk

ajohnson747

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
The phone is working great, but I have one issue (maybe it was there before) but not a big deal. When I take the phone's screen out of sleep mode the clock widget always starts off an hour behind and then corrects itself within a couple of seconds. I'm figuring it may have something to do with the PRL hack being set to a specific region other than upstate new york?? Any fix for this?

Carmer95

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I own an HTC Wildfire S and I recently rooted it using this threads instructions. Now that I have this root, I have seen things about Cyanogenmod 7.1 which interested me. I would like to know the simplest way to put this on my phone. Will it erase everything? Also, I would appreciate clockworkmod recovery being explained. I am somewhat new with Android rooting so thank you in advance:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci