[Rom] BACKfire Alpha 5.2

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Bummed out by the lack of development for the CDMA Wildfire S, I took matters into my own hands. I decided to port Jerryscript's incredible Optimus V rom, BACKside, to the Wildfire S. I used Simonsimon34's SStock for the base. The result is BACKfire. This is still an alpha, but is getting close to beta status. My wife currently uses this as her daily driver.

Screenshot...
screenshot-1345055819988.png

Current status: Alpha 5.2
Added Bobz WFS v.3 kernel (Up to 864Mhz)
Added a2sd support (No need for Link2sd)
Added VMRoms app

Confirmed working...
data, sms, calls, wifi, gps

Non working...
camera, camcorder, YouTube (audio works, no video)

Untested...
bluetooth, headphones

DISCLAIMER!!!!
Neither I nor Android Central can be held responsible if this rom bricks your phone, trashes your data, spray paints your dog, gets you fired, or moves to Mexico with your girlfriend. Any of your actions are ENTIRELY your responsibility.

Installation instructions....
Download to your sd card
reboot into recovery
make a backup
make a backup (just making sure you heard me...)
wipe cache, dalvik, data, boot, and system
flash the rom
flash gapps
reboot
wait (can take several minutes)
once booted and signed in, from the homescreen do the following:
menu-settings-cyanogenmod settings-performance-ok-cpu settings. To prevent damage to your cpu, change the min to 480, and the max to 787. I'll have more sane defaults set in the next build.
Open the play store and install A2SDGUI (will be included in next build) then run it and select "apps on sd" and "dalvik on sd"
reboot
Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Alpha .3 is in the works. Planned changes, fix broken su; change to JMZ's kernel (he rocks!); remove BACKside updater app, add HTC FM tuner, VMRoms app, and DHoT boot animation app; some stability tweaks.

thus he spake.

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Rom] BACKfire Alpha 0.2

Hey there, lost my Optimus V so I picked up a Wildfire. I tried installing this ROM but it gets to the boot animation screen and just replays it over and over. Tried wiping and reinstalling but it does the same thing. Could it be that I'm using TeamWin's recovery instead of CWM? If so can you link me to the most current CWM Recovery for the wildfire, thanks.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I had that happen the first test flash. I had to flash it twice to get it to boot. The next build is almost ready and will be much better. I honestly recommend waiting for that one.

thus he spake.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Then you'll be pleased to know Alpha 5.1 is smoking fast and stable. Major update drops in the next two days.

sent from the hip.

cammykool

Resident *****
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the internal speaker of my ov died. Time to find another phone and the wildfire looks damn good

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jaycustom21

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
So is this for CDMA? I need an new ROM before I throw this thing out the freak in' window. I'm already s-off, rooted, cwm, etc....just never got around to flashing because everything is GSM. Please tell me this isn't.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This is absolutely for CDMA only! I have an update for it I need to post, give me a couple of days and I'll update the OP.

sent from here to there...

jaycustom21

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
This is absolutely for CDMA only! I have an update for it I need to post, give me a couple of days and I'll update the OP.

Yea I noticed you stated CDMA in the OP. However, I couldn't get past the white HTC screen. Flashed 4-5 times...Tried wiping in between, tried reflashing without wiping, nothing. Idk if its because I'm on the USC version or not. Do you think the update will help that? Thanks man, I'll be watching this thread...desperate for a ROM.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't abandoned this rom. I'm rebuilding it from source, to address numerous issues. Stay tuned...

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
any update? id like to install it, but need a working camera!

This had been on the back burner, but don't worry. The camera will never function on a pure cm7 build, the drivers just don't exist. However, I have a new project in the works for your phone. It's a cm7/sense hybrid, mostly cm7 with just enough sense framework for the drivers. I've seen similar builds for the gsm variant of the Wildfire S, so I know it can be done.

Thus he spake

jxc011

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This had been on the back burner, but don't worry. The camera will never function on a pure cm7 build, the drivers just don't exist. However, I have a new project in the works for your phone. It's a cm7/sense hybrid, mostly cm7 with just enough sense framework for the drivers. I've seen similar builds for the gsm variant of the Wildfire S, so I know it can be done.

Thus he spake

This would be a dream rom :D
P.S. great idea
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

jxc011

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yea I noticed you stated CDMA in the OP. However, I couldn't get past the white HTC screen. Flashed 4-5 times...Tried wiping in between, tried reflashing without wiping, nothing. Idk if its because I'm on the USC version or not. Do you think the update will help that? Thanks man, I'll be watching this thread...desperate for a ROM.

Simonsimon34's base is most likely virgin mobile based.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Android Central Forums

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I'm building these roms specifically for my wife's phone so everything I've done for the a510c is VM.

Repensum Est Canicula

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much it's as good as it will ever be. I'm working on Spitfire right now. I may concoct a CM9 build for it, development for that has actually surpassed CM7. Keep an eye for the next few months, particularly after January 3rd. I'll have more time to work on all this then.

Repensum Est Canicula

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08