Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and could very much use your help. While in Japan recently I purchased my first smart phone. As near as I can tell, it is a Huawei Ascend P6 S P6S-L04 TD-LTE 302HW (Huawei Echo). It is a beautiful thing, very light, thin and compact with a 4.7 in screen and all the bells and whistles that Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) supposedly offers. Unfortunately, this phone only speaks Japanese and I don't know enough of the language to understand the phone's many functions. I could find NO English manual online, only a Japanese pdf, and it only explains the basic features. I have set the OS to English but only the basic settings are displayed in English, all the icons, applications and system messages are still in Japanese. Also, webpages always default to their Japanese .co.jp versions even when I deliberately type in .com. If possible, I want this phone to behave like a standard American phone and not like a Japanese phone.

The Y! Mobile contract that came with the phone works fine in Japan but nowhere else. My wife uses a companion phone there, in Japanese, and we use them to Skype each other daily no matter where I am stationed in Asia. When I travel I use protected wifi when available, free-wifi zones like Starbucks when not available, to make free internet calls world-wide. But all those fancy apps you guys are so fond of, I cannot touch. I don't have the slightest idea how to even download them, and even if I did, they too, would likely try to talk to me in Japanese.

So here's my question: Can I flash a new OS into the thing, a true English version - Android 4.4 Kit Kat for example - and can you give me detailed instructions so that I can finally have a phone that speaks to me in my native tongue?

Thanks, I appreciate any help you can offer!
    09-21-2014 09:14 AM
    OK, it appears I threw you guys a curve ball - my apologies. By changing my search parameter to "Ascend P6" instead of "Huawei 302HW" I was able to find an English User Guide. It may not be exactly the same model device but it is close enough. I now have some questions. Sorry if they appear stupid - it's just my total dearth of smart-phone experience making them appear that way.

First, what is the "Mgmt" icon and why can't I find it on my home screen? Can I download it somehow? It seems critical to many of the User Guide's instructions.

What is the process to download and install a fresh operating system? Mine has Android 4.4.2, Build P6S-L04V100R001C26B321, EmotionUI 2.3 and not Jelly Bean, as I reported above. Is it possible to completely convert a phone to another language without the icons and system messages appearing in the prior language like some kind of digital schizophrenia? How is this done?

Again, thanks for your help!
    09-23-2014 07:11 AM