Good day,

a friend of my that is not very tech savvy has recently purchased an Ascend P7 at a retailer here in Ljubljana, Slovenia. A day later she noticed red light cracks on her screen in the lower left corner when the screen should have been dark. Upon further inspection, it was revealed that the lower left corner of the phone was bent the smallest bit (not really noticeable unless you look at the phone from the left side, which nobody did as everything interesting is on the right side). As this phone was looked after truly carefully (the first thing she did immediately after purchasing the phone was to buy a case), she was convinced the fault was there from the start and took the phone back to the retailer (Telekom Slovenija, d.o.o.).

The qualified repair service determined that my friend must have bent the screen and denied any repairs, and the retailer had just switched resellers and neither the original (Teleray d.o.o.) nor the new one (Big Bang d.o.o.) would replace the phone, each passing the task to the other. The whole thing took two months, during which the phone was with the retailer.

Today, my friend was shattered when she went to pick it up as the matter was considered finalized, and noticed upon charging the device that the damage had extended. Now, the red cracks are red spots and the sides of the screen are light when the screen(picture) is dark. Basically, the screen seems to be slowly separating from the phone, causing the abnormalities in the picture.

I've searched the web far and wide in these two months only to find no evidence of a bent P7, let alone one that had the screen come off by itself. Note here that the lower left corner is bent perhaps a millimeter and a half into the air when the phone is flat on a table, over an area of three centimeters diagonally from the edge of the screen. So my friend is now stuck with a two month old unused P7 which she had for a total of two days counting today, did NOT bend (even the repair service noted that the force to bend it in such a way must have been extreme, and she really takes care of her things, especially expensive ones, she is not all that wealthy) that is more and more deformed by the minute without external influence.

Please help us resolve this problem. We truly suspect the device was faulty at purchase and got through quality assurance due to the unnoticeable bend - the issue only became apparent with time as the screen held on less and less. Frankly, it's a shame, as the phone is quite nice otherwise, and Huawei shouldn't be able to afford to ship damaged goods.
    12-02-2014 07:30 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! That's a frustrating situation. Did your friend try to contact Huawei support to discuss warranty repair? Or were the repair services actually authorized Huawei service centers?
    12-04-2014 03:10 AM
    Thank you!

We (my friend and I as well as the salesman that sold the device) tried to get a warranty replacement from both the official Huawei repair service in Slovenia (Teleray d.o.o.) and their new reseller (Big Bang d.o.o.). The phone was originally sold by Teleray, but the store switched suppliers since. The authorized service center determined that the phone was bent by my friend and is thus our problem, which is a pretty nasty move, given the phone was only used for a day. To sum up, nobody that has anything to do with Huawei officially wants nothing to do with this device.
    12-04-2014 02:36 PM
    You aren't left with many options, then. It's up to the manufacturer or their authorized agent to make a determination if a problem is covered by warranty, and they can deny coverage for any plausible suspicion that there might have been damage caused by the owner. The only way I can imagine you would be able to convince them would be if you actually recorded the unboxing, then clearly showed the damage out of the box.

I don't know if there are any good consumer protection services in Slovenia, but that might be an option. In the US, we have Consumers Union (which publishes Consumer Reports) which often deals with issues like this. Various local newspapers and TV news stations have columns or segments about protecting the consumer, where people write in and the reporter does some investigating and interviewing of the company--the company often relents, because they don't want the bad publicity. But this kind of thing often isn't too successful when you're dealing with a big corporation.
    12-04-2014 09:00 PM
    Thank you for your opinion, it is pretty much what I figured myself... We made a decision to give the company as much bad publicity as possible, as they deserve it more and more (services have been getting more and more expensive, they lack in quality, the staff was not friendly etc). Left a few posts at their facebook pages, and decided to give up on them.

Today, I'm taking the device to a third party repair service (a quality one) to get a second opinion and perhaps chance a fix - the device is unusable anyway, so worst case scenario is we have what we have now. Keep your fingers crossed! I will check in in a few days to let you know how the matter was resolved.

Regards,
    Matija
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-05-2014 06:12 AM