Is the mate 10 pro good enough.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a tad disappointed or at least not blown away by the mate 10. As a mate 9 user I guess I expected more. The pro (USA) seems tiny compared to the note 8 and it seems the pro is our only choice.

Now my choice. Note 8 v30 or pixel xl and of course mate 10.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I opted for the Pixel 2 XL, but I'm having a little buyers remorse and thinking I should have gone with the V30. Of course waiting for the V30 to price drop. And I may yet get one.

What you COULD do is just hang loose with the Mate 9 for a while, and wait for the 10 Pro to come out, and/or for the holidays to get closer and the holiday sales begin!

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I agree. It's a bit underwhelming given the price point. I'd hang on to the mate 9 and wait for the sales as well. If I remember correctly huawei/honor had some killer deals around Black Friday.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It's a bit underwhelming given the price point. I'd hang on to the mate 9 and wait for the sales as well. If I remember correctly huawei/honor had some killer deals around Black Friday.

yes i will most likely be waiting to see what deals come out. black friday is only a month away. i am not willing to pay full retail for it.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
yes i will most likely be waiting to see what deals come out. black friday is only a month away. i am not willing to pay full retail for it.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Mate 9 as well. It'd be nice to see another price cut for that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Mate 9 as well. It'd be nice to see another price cut for that.
Oh most definitely. The mate 9 at a reduced price would be tempting to those who don't need the absolute newest... Especially now that the mate 10 is coming in at a significantly higher price tag

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Oh most definitely. The mate 9 at a reduced price would be tempting to those who don't need the absolute newest... Especially now that the mate 10 is coming in at a significantly higher price tag

Could you imagine a $50 price cut!? Then around Black Friday another $50 off bringing the total to $350! Now that's a deal!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Could you imagine a $50 price cut!? Then around Black Friday another $50 off bringing the total to $350! Now that's a deal!
That would be pretty slick. Should be great for most people who don't necessarily need the absolute greatest

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
If the camera is superb, it's good enough. Otherwise, it's too expensive for a phone that is not well known in the U.S. (speaking strictly about the U.S. market).

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I watched a few comparison videos yesterday where the Mate 10 Pro took on the Mate 9 and the Note 8. The Mate 10 did a bit better than the Mate 9 in lowlight as expected but the Mate 9 actually beat it in quite a few scenarios. It was on preproduction software however so hopefully that'll be improved before release otherwise I'll be a little disappointed. Not because it's bad but just because I was expecting really big things this year

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Yep Note 8 overall has better camera, video the Note 8 is the clear winner, Huawei should have used OIS on 4k too.

I decided to hold off and see how it goes, so far the M10 is the only phone I'll buy, 6gb

editguy

Trusted Member
May 23, 2017
Visit site
I watched a few comparison videos yesterday where the Mate 10 Pro took on the Mate 9 and the Note 8. The Mate 10 did a bit better than the Mate 9 in lowlight as expected but the Mate 9 actually beat it in quite a few scenarios. It was on preproduction software however so hopefully that'll be improved before release otherwise I'll be a little disappointed. Not because it's bad but just because I was expecting really big things this year

If it doesn't change, it makes the Mate 9 a steal, especially if it drops in price for the holidays.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Dxomark just rated the overall phone camera a 97 point. 100 for still picture which beats the Pixel 2 by one point, 99 in still pictures, you guys won't be disappointed on the camera.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
If the camera is superb, it's good enough. Otherwise, it's too expensive for a phone that is not well known in the U.S. (speaking strictly about the U.S. market).

Just cause it's not well known in the states, doesnt mean they should devalue their products. I'm sure it'll be cheaper once they announce the US price point. US usually gets nearly all the phones cheaper than other countries.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
100 for photography. I'll take that! I rarely ever shoot video so the overall score means little to me personally

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Just cause it's not well known in the states, doesnt mean they should devalue their products. I'm sure it'll be cheaper once they announce the US price point. US usually gets nearly all the phones cheaper than other countries.

I don't think it's devaluing their brand. We just want them to work their pricing magic like they did with the Mate 9. It's going to be an uphill battle for them if they are priced similar to Samsung and Google. Yes, hopefully when it's released State side they'll adjust the price to better compete with the big guys.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Don't believe DXO mark, test phone yourself since u are the best photographer😁

Mate 10 camera has to be good, but video is disappointing