i decided on the mate 10 pro, then the htc u11 plus came...

zizu101

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This is gonna be a tough choice. Guess I'll have to see the official htc unveiling.
I never had a Huawei phone, but i owned an htc desire hd and the One M7, and i loved them so much.
Reasons to get the htc instead:
-usonic earphones
-sexy back
-customizable edge sense

What do you guys think?

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
This is gonna be a tough choice. Guess I'll have to see the official htc unveiling.
I never had a Huawei phone, but i owned an htc desire hd and the One M7, and i loved them so much.
Reasons to get the htc instead:
-usonic earphones
-sexy back
-customizable edge sense

What do you guys think?

It's a tough choice. Huawei makes some great phones. But they're pricing may be a little high for what the mate 10 is. Might want to take a wait and see approach.

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but the only problem is it's made by HTC...... sorry, still not over the Nexus 9 experience..... what a POS. I've got the mate 9, 2 media pad m3's and a Huawei watch, all of which I'm very happy with. I just wish they'd release the mate 10 Pro already.

Lucky7Phone

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
So far, all my smartphones are Samsung. I got a S2 and currently using an S4 so I am WAYYY past due on getting a new phone but I want to try something that is not Samsung. I already crossed off the V30 and the Pixel 2 XL cause of all the issues with the screen so that leaves the Mate 10 pro, OP5T and U11 Plus. If the Mate 10 Pro and OP5T have issues with the OLED screens, then I am going to fall back on the U11 Plus since it is going to use tried-and-true LCD.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually like the regular mate 10 better than the pro model strictly due to the pro models is made with the weird to me out of proportion 18.9 ratio which seems to be a fad right now with companies. I owned the S8 with that 18.9 ratio and it makes the phone way too narrow. The regular mate 10 comes in the standard 16.9 ratio that we all know to give you better screen real estate. These 18.9 ratio phones popping everywhere now just makes you get a phone narrow and taller. It makes no sense to me what the allure of the 18.9 ratio is. I couldn't stand it on my S8 which was a main reason I got rid of it. So my choice would be the regular mate 10 and not the 18.9 ratio of the pro model. You just loose so much wide viewing screen so basically it's not better, out of proportion as they just take away from the better viewing of the standard 16.9 ratio and gives you a way too narrow taller phone. So in fact it's not better but different but to me in a very bad way. I'd rather the typical 16.9 ratio body build to give you maximum viewing both sides and top and bottom. I think the 18.9 ratio will be gone within the next year or two as companies will begin to realize the phone is just way too narrow and it looks totally out of proportion.

Djlarocca

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually like the regular mate 10 better than the pro model strictly due to the pro models is made with the weird to me out of proportion 18.9 ratio which seems to be a fad right now with companies. I owned the S8 with that 18.9 ratio and it makes the phone way too narrow. The regular mate 10 comes in the standard 16.9 ratio that we all know to give you better screen real estate. These 18.9 ratio phones popping everywhere now just makes you get a phone narrow and taller. It makes no sense to me what the allure of the 18.9 ratio is. I couldn't stand it on my S8 which was a main reason I got rid of it. So my choice would be the regular mate 10 and not the 18.9 ratio of the pro model. You just loose so much wide viewing screen so basically it's not better, out of proportion as they just take away from the better viewing of the standard 16.9 ratio and gives you a way too narrow taller phone. So in fact it's not better but different but to me in a very bad way. I'd rather the typical 16.9 ratio body build to give you maximum viewing both sides and top and bottom. I think the 18.9 ratio will be gone within the next year or two as companies will begin to realize the phone is just way too narrow and it looks totally out of proportion.

I know, right!? Why not just make a bezel-less 16:9 phone!? ;)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I know, right!? Why not just make a bezel-less 16:9 phone!? ;)
I know!! I think the 18.9 ratio is just terrible for screen size. As soon as I got my S8 I could not stand the 18.9 ratio. The phone was way too narrow which made watching movies weird and way out of proportion to me. The phone was just taller. I'm trying to figure out what they were trying to achieve here as you just trade a wide viewing experience to that of one that is way too narrow. What's even worse is a lot of companies are making this a trend that I think won't last but a couple of years. There is no way I would shell out big money for another 18.9 ratio phone again. Stick with what's best which is the symetrical 16.9 ratio that gives you the most proportioned viewing experience. I have no clue still seeing what the major advantage of a 18.9 ratio is exactly when all they are doing is taking away from the width and making the phone skinny and taller. It just does not make any logical sense to me to make a 18.9 ratio screen size. You actually loose screen real estate in the awkward ratio aspect. Yet most all companies are going to it but I still see absolutely zero sense behind it. I hated watching movies on my S8 because of that narrow screen. It's just off and not balanced in proportion.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know!! I think the 18.9 ratio is just terrible for screen size. As soon as I got my S8 I could not stand the 18.9 ratio. The phone was way too narrow which made watching movies weird and way out of proportion to me. The phone was just taller. I'm trying to figure out what they were trying to achieve here as you just trade a wide viewing experience to that of one that is way too narrow. What's even worse is a lot of companies are making this a trend that I think won't last but a couple of years. There is no way I would shell out big money for another 18.9 ratio phone again. Stick with what's best which is the symetrical 16.9 ratio that gives you the most proportioned viewing experience. I have no clue still seeing what the major advantage of a 18.9 ratio is exactly when all they are doing is taking away from the width and making the phone skinny and taller. It just does not make any logical sense to me to make a 18.9 ratio screen size. You actually loose screen real estate in the awkward ratio aspect. Yet most all companies are going to it but I still see absolutely zero sense behind it. I hated watching movies on my S8 because of that narrow screen. It's just off and not balanced in proportion.
I am not sure what you mean by symmetrical.... A symmetrical aspect ratio would be 1:1? Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Also what do you mean by "loose[sic?] screen real estate"? The display area is larger on the s8 vs s7. Even looking at the width, the display of the s8 is wider than the s7. So you will get a larger video, even in 16x9 mode. But keep in mind content will slowly shift to 18:9 as the smartphone manufacturers continue this trend.

Last edited: