pre-orders have already sold out.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was ALMOST ready to be mad, since I had not heard about a pre-order, BUT that's because it's NOT the US. I've been waiting for this one!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
They got 10k in preorders in a region where preorders aren't a thing. I live in South East Asia and preorders really aren't advertised a lot here since a lot of people don't do that. The mentality is usually I want to actually see it first. What happens to the freebies is that they go for higher contract fees to get 'freebies', lower ones means you get the phone only.

If I remember correctly, in my country, Samsung hitting 15k preorders for the S8 was huge. So yes, 10k preorders for Huawei is huge from a relative point of view.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They got 10k in preorders in a region where preorders aren't a thing. I live in South East Asia and preorders really aren't advertised a lot here since a lot of people don't do that. The mentality is usually I want to actually see it first. What happens to the freebies is that they go for higher contract fees to get 'freebies', lower ones means you get the phone only.

If I remember correctly, in my country, Samsung hitting 15k preorders for the S8 was huge. So yes, 10k preorders for Huawei is huge from a relative point of view.

Thanks for clarifying. That's pretty impressive if they got 10k when the s8 was 15k

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying. That's pretty impressive if they got 10k when the s8 was 15k
Yeah. Thing is people here mostly don't realize when new phones come out and they're always surprised that a new one has arrived. Looking on the internet for the next phone isn't a thing except for the minority of the tech inclined. People here save up money, then walk to a shop and see the best bang for buck they can get. Overwhelming majority of the people go prepaid on their networks too. It's a running joke sometimes here that people have nice phones but no credits for data, calls or sms. Lol. But going prepaid means buying phones outright, and preorder prices are higher than buying when the thing has arrived, so people tend to wait like at least 2mos after release. To be honest, even iPhone fans here call people who line up at Apple Stores to get the latest iPhone stupid. That doesn't happen here as much as it does in other countries.

To be honest that's why sometimes I'm envious of other countries getting lots of freebies lol. I guess it's a trade off since you'll almost never experience the horror stories in terms of support here because nearly every brand here has a brick and mortar store in every other mall you can take a damaged device to. No need to deal with customer support via calls.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Thing is people here mostly don't realize when new phones come out and they're always surprised that a new one has arrived. Looking on the internet for the next phone isn't a thing except for the minority of the tech inclined. People here save up money, then walk to a shop and see the best bang for buck they can get. Overwhelming majority of the people go prepaid on their networks too. It's a running joke sometimes here that people have nice phones but no credits for data, calls or sms. Lol. But going prepaid means buying phones outright, and preorder prices are higher than buying when the thing has arrived, so people tend to wait like at least 2mos after release. To be honest, even iPhone fans here call people who line up at Apple Stores to get the latest iPhone stupid. That doesn't happen here as much as it does in other countries.

To be honest that's why sometimes I'm envious of other countries getting lots of freebies lol. I guess it's a trade off since you'll almost never experience the horror stories in terms of support here because nearly every brand here has a brick and mortar store in every other mall you can take a damaged device to. No need to deal with customer support via calls.

Well that's only true of apple devices. Other manufacturers, you can't just bring in a device.