Mate 10 Pro initial thoughts

Hanlon10

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Here's a few thoughts from my first 2 days of usage:

- The fingerprint scanner is lightening fast and it hasn't failed to authenticate once yet.

- Battery life appears to be above average but not amazing like everyone was expecting from a 4000mAh battery, though it does charge exceptionally quickly.

- As expected from EMUI, there's a tonne of bloatware.

- Annoyingly, there's no double-tap screen on, or that setting the 6P had where you point the screen at your face and it recognises you're looking at it so turns on (can't remember the name for it, and I'm not talking about face unlocking like iris scan etc), so literally the only way to wake your screen is to press the power button (or unlock with fingerprint scanner). Not very convenient though if you just want to quickly check the time and the phone is on a flat surface.

- As a result of the above, I have turned on AOD. This is tucked away in settings and you have to search for it (as far as I'm aware)

- Notifications are a bit of a conundrum, they disappear when you unlock the phone and then lock it again despite not reading them. I'd still expect some form of notification to display to remind me I still have unread notifications.

- The notification light is very small and often difficult notice when it's flashing.

- Call and notification volume are linked so you cannot alter these 2 separately without the use of a third party app.

- My biggest qualm at the minute is trying to swipe down. This could just be me and it will no doubt improve over time but I am often finding that when I swipe down, unless I'm really concentrating to make a perfect vertical swipe, it often mistakes it for a side swipe. Furthermore, when trying to swipe down to view your notifications, unless you are literally swiping down from the top of the screen, it mistakes this swipe for another which takes you into a search for settings screen, this is extremely frustrating.

I does sound like I'm really hammering the phone to be fair but these are all minor issues and could be completely irrelevant for other users, I had a few teething problems on my Nexus 6P when I first got that and grew to love it. Apart from the above points it really does seem to be a great phone, hopefully some of the points I've been mentioned could be ironed out in a software update as well.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on...just wanted to hear thoughts from anyone else who has the phone and see if they're experiencing any of the same issues?

Cheers

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Mate 9 has the best battery life, now the mate 10 is the king, according to AC, and i believe its true.
though mate 10 had some software issue that drained battery quickly, have you got any updates?

Check your battery usage and post it here if possible

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

- The fingerprint scanner is lightening fast and it hasn't failed to authenticate once yet.

- Battery life appears to be above average but not amazing like everyone was expecting from a 4000mAh battery, though it does charge exceptionally quickly.

- Annoyingly, there's no double-tap screen on, or that setting the 6P had where you point the screen at your face and it recognises you're looking at it so turns on (can't remember the name for it, and I'm not talking about face unlocking like iris scan etc), so literally the only way to wake your screen is to press the power button (or unlock with fingerprint scanner). Not very convenient though if you just want to quickly check the time and the phone is on a flat surface.

- As a result of the above, I have turned on AOD. This is tucked away in settings and you have to search for it (as far as I'm aware)

- Notifications are a bit of a conundrum, they disappear when you unlock the phone and then lock it again despite not reading them. I'd still expect some form of notification to display to remind me I still have unread notifications.

- The notification light is very small and often difficult notice when it's flashing.

- Call and notification volume are linked so you cannot alter these 2 separately without the use of a third party app.

- My biggest qualm at the minute is trying to swipe down. This could just be me and it will no doubt improve over time but I am often finding that when I swipe down, unless I'm really concentrating to make a perfect vertical swipe, it often mistakes it for a side swipe. Furthermore, when trying to swipe down to view your notifications, unless you are literally swiping down from the top of the screen, it mistakes this swipe for another which takes you into a search for settings screen, this is extremely frustrating.

I does sound like I'm really hammering the phone to be fair but these are all minor issues and could be completely irrelevant for other users, I had a few teething problems on my Nexus 6P when I first got that and grew to love it. Apart from the above points it really does seem to be a great phone, hopefully some of the points I've been mentioned could be ironed out in a software update as well.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on...just wanted to hear thoughts from anyone else who has the phone and see if they're experiencing any of the same issues?

Cheers
The notification disappearing thing is apparently common across multiple Huawei phones. It's just the way they do things unfortunately.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mate 9 has the best battery life, now the mate 10 is the king, according to AC, and i believe its true.
though mate 10 had some software issue that drained battery quickly, have you got any updates?

It's even better than the s8 active?

Hanlon10

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site

2 screens attached, let me know what you make of them :-D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171121-084703.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-084703.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20171121-084646.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-084646.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 73

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site

Cheers
Unfortunately Huawei didn't add the double tap to wake up. Have you noticed any big battery drained from using aod and without it?

The notifications problem is indeed a Huawei thing. Not sure why they did that. Maybe with enough complaint they'll fix it

Hanlon10

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately Huawei didn't add the double tap to wake up. Have you noticed any big battery drained from using aod and without it?

The notifications problem is indeed a Huawei thing. Not sure why they did that. Maybe with enough complaint they'll fix it

AOD hardly had any effect on battery life, well worth having it on IMO

Hanlon10

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Looks like you're been using it for over a day without charging it. You don't think this is impressive?

I used to get similar results with my N6P when I first got that so I'm not exactly blown away. Plus I hadn't exactly been streaming videos all day, just general web browsing with my screen brightness around 40%.

As long as it last me a day I'm happy anyway. I'm just not sure about these claims of having phenomenal battery life.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I attached mine states, so you can compare, this is from oreo Beta 321

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171121-143115.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-143115.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20171121-143108.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-143108.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20171121-143101.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-143101.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 53

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I used to get similar results with my N6P when I first got that so I'm not exactly blown away. Plus I hadn't exactly been streaming videos all day, just general web browsing with my screen brightness around 40%.

As long as it last me a day I'm happy anyway. I'm just not sure about these claims of having phenomenal battery life.
As long as you're satisfied with a full day usage then it's good. Battery life are different with everyone depending on their usage

priceslss

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to wait a few days before I scream my battery life is worse than my Mate 9 and my Mate 9 pro were... For now I am not seeing the same battery life that I got out of either of those devices but I have not had the device a week yet.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Those are my stats, closing the day with that soon.

Never saw phone as good as the Mate 9, probably the Mate 10 pro gonna top it easily :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171121-205206.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-205206.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20171121-205212.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-205212.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20171121-205157.jpg
    Screenshot_20171121-205157.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 42

Forum statistics

Threads