Mate 10 Pro - screen brightness changes when opening some apps

fatboy88888

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've just brought a Mate 10 Pro and noticed when opening apps like Google Maps, Outlook and Chrome, the screen brightness decreases slightly, not much but it's noticeable. It's not in all apps, just some.

I don't have auto brightness on so it's a little annoying. Had anyone else experienced this?

And does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance.

Hanlon10

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
I've just tested it with those 3 apps mentioned and could only notice it on Chrome, but yes I see what you're saying. I tried with and without eye comfort mode as well and it still happened. Curious to know whether this is specific to the phone though or just the apps? Anyone else with a different phone noticed it?

fatboy88888

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I contacted huawei and they advised its an issue with emui 5.1 and 8. They're working on a fix and likely to be released in 8.1, although that's a few months away still.

Interesting that you don't notice it on Google Maps or Outlook. It was pretty noticeable on my phone. Have you seen it in any other app?

I've taken my phone back and awaiting new one, although after finding out that it's a known issue, it will probably be the same behaviour.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've just brought a Mate 10 Pro and noticed when opening apps like Google Maps, Outlook and Chrome, the screen brightness decreases slightly, not much but it's noticeable. It's not in all apps, just some.

I don't have auto brightness on so it's a little annoying. Had anyone else experienced this?

And does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance.
I am experiencing the same thing, it seems to be adjusting to save battery, but it really does get annoying as I like my brightness to be consistent when I am indoors. I see there does not seem to be an option to change this. Seems to be to save power.

Samsung phones have a similar feature but it does things far more gradually and you barely notice it on Samsungs.

Hopefully Huawei will make it less aggressive in the next update.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I contacted huawei and they advised its an issue with emui 5.1 and 8. They're working on a fix and likely to be released in 8.1, although that's a few months away still.

Interesting that you don't notice it on Google Maps or Outlook. It was pretty noticeable on my phone. Have you seen it in any other app?

I've taken my phone back and awaiting new one, although after finding out that it's a known issue, it will probably be the same behaviour.
Glad to hear that they acknowledged the issue and that they are working to address it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing, it seems to be adjusting to save battery, but it really does get annoying as I like my brightness to be consistent when I am indoors. I see there does not seem to be an option to change this. Seems to be to save power.

Samsung phones have a similar feature but it does things far more gradually and you barely notice it on Samsungs.

Hopefully Huawei will make it less aggressive in the next update.
They should at least make it an option

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Not something I've noticed at all personally. The only thing I found really annoying is the sunlight readability setting that kicks in and washes out all the colour in bright sunshine. I turned that off in Developers Settings as soon as possible

lvbaal

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I wonder, should this bug which Huawei is reportedly working on, also have something to do with another issue that I encounter: every time I switch off autobrightness, it get automatically turned on again after some time (minutes). Does anybody else in the thread experience this as well? Thnaks!

malgs

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

it would be interesting if someone had tried to see if the problem is also present on p20 pro that has the emui 8.1

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
it would be interesting if someone had tried to see if the problem is also present on p20 pro that has the emui 8.1

It is, ever so slightly (not as bad as my mate 10 pro) and it keeps automatically changing randomly too, other than that the p20 pro is pretty stellar, definitely the best Android phone I ever used

malgs

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
It is, ever so slightly (not as bad as my mate 10 pro) and it keeps automatically changing randomly too, other than that the p20 pro is pretty stellar, definitely the best Android phone I ever used

thx for the feed, however I also tried the p20 pro in a shopping center, and compared to mate 10 pro it does much less like you said :)

zaskarcyrus

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site

I'm a bit late to this party, but I just bought a P20 Pro with EMUI 8.1 - the screen dimming is so bad I am having to return it. Auto brightness adjust is off, and I have tried the other often posted fixes - readability in sunlight (in developer options), adjusting animation draw time, but nothing has worked.

I measured the screen with a light meter against the screen, against a blank screen using Chrome. The level consistently fell from 144 lux to 109 over about a minute. Switch to another app, then back to Chrome and it was back at full output before dropping off again.