One thing that caused me concern on my Mate 9 was that it did not use full device encryption. I even contacted Huawei and they told me it did not but I could use their vault app (or whatever it was called) to store private data.

With all these concerns about China's spying, etc., seems like something they should have to prove everyone wrong.

Anyone know if the 10 will have it? (like the Galaxy phones, the pixels, etc. etc.)
    01-28-2018 03:23 PM
    How is that even possible given that Google absolutely requires all Android 6.0+ devices to not only support full device encryption but also have it enabled by default.

The Mate 9 was released with 6.0, right? And it was Google certified - so it has to have been fully encrypted. How would it get a Google certification without?
    01-28-2018 04:00 PM
    How is that even possible given that Google absolutely requires all Android 6.0+ devices to not only support full device encryption but also have it enabled by default.

The Mate 9 was released with 6.0, right? And it was Google certified - so it has to have been fully encrypted. How would it get a Google certification without?
    I don't know. I seem to recall it said nowhere in the settings that it was encrypted. That's what caused me concern. I contacted Huawei and they basically confirmed that and told me I could use their vault if I wanted to protect any information. I was thinking exactly what you were. I can't confirm that Google -requires- that for certification to use the Gapps.

Unless it was some sort of major language misunderstanding. I did not get that sense.
    01-28-2018 04:12 PM
    https://yourtechexplained.com/2016/1...ed-encryption/

I just looked it up, the Mate 9 shipped with Nougat. It's using FBE with near certainty.

Or it would have been denied Google certification and therefore Play Store access.

The same goes for the Mate 10 (Pro).

It's incredibly likely that the support agent simply didn't know what they were talking about.
    01-28-2018 04:28 PM
    I just explained the difference between FBE and FDE and why your support agent most likely had no clue what they are taking about.

But my explanation included a link and some over eager bot deleted it.
    01-28-2018 04:35 PM
    I just explained the difference between FBE and FDE and why your support agent most likely had no clue what they are taking about.
    What does the acronym "FBE" mean?
    01-28-2018 05:45 PM
    Oh got it.

Here is another discussion saying the same thing but in more detail than I have:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/mat...ption-t3515229
    01-28-2018 05:46 PM
    And dug up my original post which included a comment from someone basically dismissing the need for encryption... which is concerning in itself.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/hu...-mate-9-a.html
    01-28-2018 05:48 PM
    Many Huawei customers are idiots and sadly Huawei's customer support isn't well informed. I wouldn't put any weight on the words of a single CSR.

Yes, EMUI doesn't expose the encryption status to consumers - which is indeed worrisome and a problem in itself.

But I'm reasonably certain that both the Mate 9 and 10 simply use Nougat's and Oreos default file based encryption for the sole reason that Google wouldn't or at the very least shouldn't certify their devices for official Play Store access otherwise. But Google did.
    01-29-2018 12:43 AM