ouch. Six top US intelligence chiefs caution against buying Huawei phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I had been cautious and avoided Huawei and ZTE in the past due to my own personal concerns. I'm glad I never got those brands.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Getting the P20/P11 when it comes out, the US has presented zero solid evidence so far and lengthy investigations on Huawei+ZTE a few years ago turned up nothing. Funny how these brands could be trusted in Canada, Europe, and Japan but not the US? All these bans/sanctions/words of caution without presenting anything speak very poorly for the US.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I would hesitate buying anything coming from China.... Electronic stuff that can connect to the internet I mean

Everything comes from China, if the NSA can intercept shipments and plant spyware on electronics like they've been proven to do so can China. I'm in Canada and would avoid American electronics had I not known the NSA spies on everyone.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Sadly I have to agree with you there... We are invaded by them here in Australia, and not much you can buy that is not Chinese. They own most of our country now and we can't afford to buy a house due to the inflated prices they caused. Real estate auctions are held in Chinese in my area as no Aussie can afford to buy any more... Used to be a great country until they gave it away..

Last edited:

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's only a problem for the USA apparently. The rest of our governments and carriers are more than happy to let us buy and use Huawei phones. I'll be switching from the Note 8 to the Mate 10 Pro any day now and don't intend to take any notice of the scare stories. Loved my P10 and I'm sure I'll be even happier with the Mate

garethrdwilliams

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
The cynic in me wonders if Apple is an American brand and Huawei has overtaken them in sales worldwide and threatens to be very popular over there in America then...

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The cynic in me wonders if Apple is an American brand and Huawei has overtaken them in sales worldwide and threatens to be very popular over there in America then...

Shhhh... You can't be saying things like that. I said the same when their carrier deals fell through a few weeks ago and I got flamed for it. It's purely coincidental

BB_PP

May 29, 2017
Visit site
American tectics to reject non american products! what they are blaming? same thing America doing since decades

br77494

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: ouch. Six top US intelligence chiefs caution against buying Huawei phones

This is just ridiculous. And it sure won't stop me from buying a great phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Sadly I have to agree with you there... We are invaded by them here in Australia, and not much you can buy that is not Chinese. They own most of our country now and we can't afford to buy a house due to the inflated prices they caused. Real estate auctions are held in Chinese in my area as no Aussie can afford to buy any more... Used to be a great country until they gave it away..

Over in the US it's like that too now with housing. Places like California, Texas, Florida, New York they own a lot of properties. That's why rent and housing is high in many places here in Florida.

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
not sure what all the fuss is about.. google has been keeping track of every piece of data for years. Look at those massive data warehouses they have. To be honest.. I have very little... So i have little to lose. haha

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
And is this only of concern if you create a huawei account? As I opted not too Thinking just never know what they do with that.

LossOfCite

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
The US has been saying that for years but has yet to produce any evidence. The UK's GCHQ, among other intelligence agencies, have thoroughly inspected Huawei devices, found nothing suspicious, and gave the green light. This screams American protectionism.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm always cautious with my privacy but also at these kind of stories. I've also steered away from Chinese products (bar the Moto Z2 Play I just bought) for that very reason. Not because I'm convinced that they're a threat but knowing how their government works, I'd rather play it safe.

That being said, with all due respect to these 6 people, they're not putting forward any fact. They're only saying that people should be careful, which is true for all electronic devices that hold personal information and connect to the internet. Being in their position, of course they have a bias against China given the US' history with the Chinese government.

Truth be told, every device is a risk whether it's a mobile phone, a tablet or a computer. These people are just afraid that the Chinese government uses those devices for large scale espionnage. But unless they have proof to back that up, I don't think this should be any more of a concern to anyone that wasn't worried before. Just be careful what brands you buy, check your device with a trustworthy tool, if any and enjoy it.

philip1766

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Really? Americans have no problem with the government doing what they accused the Chinese doing with no proof. Don't be sheep. Unless they have proof, I don't want to hear it. Btw since we are slinging mud. The two major America company that make the cell phone ecosystem (IOS & Android) have been fine millions in other countries for doing what the American government is accusing the Chinese government is doing. So it's ok for us to do it to other countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma