Should I keep US version Mate 10 Pro

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
AC just posted a story about Huawei possibly losing Best Buy as a retail partner. This causes me concern. I am thinking about returning the US Mate 10 Pro and getting an International model because I don't want to be stuck with a phone that is not getting updates if they chose to walk away from the US market.

What do you guys think?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
It's really a dicey situation with Huawei and I don't know exactly there's such a"dark cloud" looming over this specific company. It's a shame because Huawei is really making a name for themselves with their dominance in battery life and great hardware build. Their camera system is not far out of first place either. I think they will still update their devices but I have no clue on what thier track record is.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm the same boat. Bought the phone yesterday at Best Buy and absolutely love it. But if this thing will get abandoned in the US, not sure if it's worth it. I have 14 days to return it.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Never-MSRP no eBay has the International version for 699.00. I am thinking about getting it an returning the US model to best buy. I just have to do some research and make sure the Bands match TMO's LTE.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too am concerned when seeing the articles about Best Buy pulling out. Huawei is a great company and so it's sad to see this kind of thing happen to them. Hopefully we will get some reassurance soon.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Since the US variant is unlocked, won't it still get updates from Huawei directly?
I just bought the AO9 US variant.

The updates do come from Huawei. I was just worried that if there is not enough devices sold would it be feasible to keep developing A09 variant. I just don't want to get stuck with a phone that will not get updated.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I really hope the phone continues to get support in the U.S. Never owned Huawei before and am on Verizon. I may go out and buy a Mate 10 Pro and add an AT&T or TMO line because of all this nonsense and FUD. I believe the conspiracy theory about Apple and Samsung having a say in this more than I believe there is a legit security threat. While we're at it, let's ban Motorola phones and Lenovo laptops too.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I really hope the phone continues to get support in the U.S. Never owned Huawei before and am on Verizon. I may go out and buy a Mate 10 Pro and add an AT&T or TMO line because of all this nonsense and FUD. I believe the conspiracy theory about Apple and Samsung having a say in this more than I believe there is a legit security threat. While we're at it, let's ban Motorola phones and Lenovo laptops too.

Exactly. +1

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have decided to keep my Mate Pro 10. I think this phone is pretty dang good and I don't want to give it up. IMG_20180323_175056.jpg

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaning towards keeping it but still unsure. But this is definitely the first phone I've ever had that can do this (without charging it once the entire time):

Attachments

• 727.jpg
    727.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 102

phillymade

Mar 31, 2011
glennsilvasy.blogspot.com
I just ordered the US variant from Best Buy today. I for one am not at all concerned that BB is no longer selling Huawei devices. There are other US supplier's selling this device. And for updating, it is unlocked, so like Samsung and everyone else it will still get updates....and worst case scenario, I will just rebrand to the international and keep updating. That's my two cents.

brutos08

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I am in the UK and Huawei works very closely with the UK government, the major ISPs and mobile providers. This is the same throughout Europe so if security was a concern they would have been kicked out of the UK and Europe. The attack they are getting in the US is very suspect.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am in the UK and Huawei works very closely with the UK government, the major ISPs and mobile providers. This is the same throughout Europe so if security was a concern they would have been kicked out of the UK and Europe. The attack they are getting in the US is very suspect.

Huawei are used by many many other governments too and that's exactly why the US admitted to planting spyware on Huawei networking equipment. They openly said that most other governments use Huawei equipment so if they monitor the equipment then they can also monitor what everyone else is doing straight from there.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Huawei are used by many many other governments too and that's exactly why the US admitted to planting spyware on Huawei networking equipment. They openly said that most other governments use Huawei equipment so if they monitor the equipment then they can also monitor what everyone else is doing straight from there.

Could you please cite a reference to the US government openly admitting to planting spyware on Huawei network equipment. I would like to read it.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Could you please cite a reference to the US government openly admitting to planting spyware on Huawei network equipment. I would like to read it.
Sure here's a few links. I've been reading up a little to find out what all the fuss is about and it makes you appreciate Huawei's frustration trying to get a foothold in the US market.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/...inese-servers-seen-as-spy-peril.html?referer=

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mashable.com/2018/02/14/huawei-prove-phones-not-spying-americans.amp

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site