How bad is EMUI

Bass Boy

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I'm looking to get the Mate 10 the, but I do prefer a more stick android look, so if I simply installed Nova Launcher prime (which I already have), and changed around a few things it wouls essentially be a stick android look. BUT how easy is it to delete the pre installed Huawei apps? That's my main concern. If you can't, Will disabling them make any difference so they're not running unnecessarily?
I'm looking to keep it for the next 2 years so performance etc Will be a big factor for me. Everything else on the phone is pretty much perfect.
Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Stock apps installed as system apps can't be uninstalled or stopped unless you root the phone. But if you choose Nova, EMUI won't be running.

Most system apps don't run unnecessarily, they run wen needed, like communications, internet connections, etc. A manufacturer may give you their own voicemail app, or their own Contacts app, but you can still run the stock apps. About the only thing it costs you is storage of another app that you won't be using. If you want pure Android, get a Pixel or you could go for the Mate 10 Pro and put Lineage 15.1 on it.

Luke Seeney

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
I've had the Mate 10 for about 6 months now and been running Nova Prime. Best phone I've ever owned and I've had Apple, Samsung, LG and Motorola's. While you can't delete the Huawei apps, they don't run unless you want them to. I highly recommend this phone and it only gets better when you run Nova on-top.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I own the Mate 9 and for me EMUI is meh. Not a fan, but definitely not a reason to not get this phone or the Mate 10 Pro. Strong battery life and a good camera are important and the Mate 9 is excellent in both regards. The battery is a beast.

Does running Nova Prime slow things down at all?

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So I am kicking the tires on both the 10 Pro and the Honor V10. I have ZERO worries about the hardware. Done the research on that. I am also a proponent of buying a device for what it is, not worrying about huge updates. Obviously, firmware and security patches are required and I do not mean those. I just buy phones expecting them to stay on the Android version I purchased them on and how they run when I fork over cash for them.

EMUI is the sticking point for me. I am not a fan of skins, but have had bad experiences with Motorola and do not want to shell out Pixel prices. So this thread is right up my alley. I am going to invest in some You Tube on this skin, but curious:

-Any tricks to get third party apps rolling better, which seems to be the #1 complaint with EMUI.

-What, exactly, is it's strengths? Heard plenty of complaints, not a ton of compliments. There has to be SOME good crap.

-For more experienced users, how has it either gotten better or worse?

Huawei/Honor is a blank slate to me.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So I am kicking the tires on both the 10 Pro and the Honor V10. I have ZERO worries about the hardware. Done the research on that. I am also a proponent of buying a device for what it is, not worrying about huge updates. Obviously, firmware and security patches are required and I do not mean those. I just buy phones expecting them to stay on the Android version I purchased them on and how they run when I fork over cash for them.

EMUI is the sticking point for me. I am not a fan of skins, but have had bad experiences with Motorola and do not want to shell out Pixel prices. So this thread is right up my alley. I am going to invest in some You Tube on this skin, but curious:

-Any tricks to get third party apps rolling better, which seems to be the #1 complaint with EMUI.

-What, exactly, is it's strengths? Heard plenty of complaints, not a ton of compliments. There has to be SOME good crap.

-For more experienced users, how has it either gotten better or worse?

Huawei/Honor is a blank slate to me.

Been using it for a few months now. Addressing a few of your queries here

- Third party widgets work fine for me. I use Microsoft Launcher and have no problem with third party widgets, but Huawei Widgets don't work.

- Strengths? The hardware is brilliant, interface looks nice, is smooth, good features..is a proper flagship device. No slowdowns as yet. No updates either for US device.

Customization options are pretty decent, including fonts, themes etc.

I have used a lot of Android flagships over the past year, including Note 8. I love the Mate10 Pro and would rate it 8/10.

Drawbacks- Custom ROM options are sparse or non-existent because Kirin chips aren't common. And Huawei has stopped allowing bootloader unlocks.

Luke Seeney

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
Nope, if anything it's made the phone even faster as you can change the animation and scroll speed. I have these both set to "faster than light" as I don't give a toss about animations, and things run super quick.

Luke Seeney

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
I own the Mate 9 and for me EMUI is meh. Not a fan, but definitely not a reason to not get this phone or the Mate 10 Pro. Strong battery life and a good camera are important and the Mate 9 is excellent in both regards. The battery is a beast.

Does running Nova Prime slow things down at all?

Nope, if anything it's made the phone even faster as you can change the animation and scroll speed. I have these both set to "faster than light" as I don't give a toss about animations, and things run super quick.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input, gang. The price on the 10 Pro is really hard to beat at this point, not to mention ALL the reviews are great on it and those who own them love them. Just wish Android makers would back off the UI skins a hair. I get it is the best way to stand out in a crowded field, but to me it is one more layer to screw up with updates or to slow the device over time. EMUI doesn't look that bad from what I have watched compared to other UI's, and actually has some neat tricks.

But I just want the phone to run right for several years, and heavy UI's just don't help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol