Where can I by the mate 20 pro in the USA?

aolmeda

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm ready to put my money down on this phone. But, from everything I have heard and/or read it won't work on Verizon. I just don't understand why these big manufacturers just don't make these high volume high end phones to work with all Networks. They are already charging premium prices.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I really would consider this phone but let me tell you the downfalls after owning the p20 pro which shares the same lte bands. I am on TMobile btw.

no lte band 71, that's being rolled out big time this coming year. if it weren't coming to my area for another year or two it wouldn't be a big deal but I want to take advantage of it asap once available.

no wifi calling. I thought I could do without this but the signal is too weak in the new building I work at. I ended up missing some texts and calls.

also doesn't have band 66 not sure how important this band is as it's a subset of band 4.

Unfortunately some big deal breakers.

krispy_mobile

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I really would consider this phone but let me tell you the downfalls after owning the p20 pro which shares the same lte bands. I am on TMobile btw.

no lte band 71, that's being rolled out big time this coming year. if it weren't coming to my area for another year or two it wouldn't be a big deal but I want to take advantage of it asap once available.

no wifi calling. I thought I could do without this but the signal is too weak in the new building I work at. I ended up missing some texts and calls.

also doesn't have band 66 not sure how important this band is as it's a subset of band 4.

If you use Google Voice you can probably just use that for WiFi calling. Ymmv.

As for buying it, I found it for just under a grand pre-order at Clove's online UK site and they ship to the U.S. if you pre-order before the 26th it qualifies for the free watch and wireless charger bundle from Huawei. Unfortunately, just twilight or black right now. I really want the blue with the hyper optical textured finish.
https://www.clove.co.uk/huawei-mate-20-pro

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

And no warranty

krispy_mobile

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I wish it would work on ANY American network

If you already have good tmo in your area you should be fine as they are rolling 71 in rural areas to improve/add coverage where it was poor or missing before. For AT&T, band 30 is mostly used to alleviate congestion in major metros. Those towers also always have bands 12 and 17, and Mate 20 Pro supports 17, as well 2,4, and 5 also used by AT&T.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I work in Boston. People with tMobile I work with tell me their reception in buildings we work sucks. (Most have iPhones if that matters) Mine is OK with VZW, 2 to 3 bars in LTE. I never lose signal.

I would love to try a Huawei with tMobile or ATT but I worry I will lose signal.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

As for buying it, I found it for just under a grand pre-order at Clove's online UK site and they ship to the U.S. if you pre-order before the 26th it qualifies for the free watch and wireless charger bundle from Huawei. Unfortunately, just twilight or black right now. I really want the blue with the hyper optical textured finish.

Interesting note about their promo offer:

"Dual SIM options

Huawei is only officially launching the Single SIM (LYA-L09) option in the UK. This is the only version that will be eligible for the free Watch GT & Wireless Charger bundle.

A Dual SIM option is manufactured (LYA-L29). Clove Technology will look to import these in to the UK during November."

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

But if you're outside of the UK you don't get the bundle cause it says the bundle is for UK addresses only correct?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm ready to put my money down on this phone. But, from everything I have heard and/or read it won't work on Verizon. I just don't understand why these big manufacturers just don't make these high volume high end phones to work with all Networks. They are already charging premium prices.

Verizon doesn’t want huawei phones on their network. They tried with the mate 10 pro.

aolmeda

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 6P worked great for 3 years on Verizon. Just because they don't want it on their system does they mean that the device won't work perfectly.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 6P worked great for 3 years on Verizon. Just because they don't want it on their system does they mean that the device won't work perfectly.

But Verizon allowed the nexus and pixel phones on their network. Regardless of manufacturer. There’s no point in huawei putting money and resources into a carrier that doesn’t want their products used on there. It’s unfortunate because I think it would have been great for consumers and business alike.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I know VZW won't work due to lack of cdma. I want to know how well tMobile or ATT work. It is still missing some of their bands too. If either work really well I have some thinking to do. It is quite a risk to spend over a grand for a phone with only a 30 day warranty and no customer support whatsoever.