How is Huawei in terms of OS updates and bloatware?

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to get the Galaxy Note 9 before learning about the Mate 20 Pro as I want the best camera in a smartphone but I despise Bixby and it's dedicated button and also I hate how slow Samsung are to release OS updates and the bloatware they bundle like you have a Samsung variant of every Google app.

So how is Huawei in terms of OS updates? Can we expect fast updates close to stock Android timeline and also do they have bloatware in their phones?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If you hate Samsung for bloatware and updates you'll hate Huawei too. They're not quite as bad with the bloatware but updates are much slower. Huawei operate a quarterly update schedule so expect them every 3-4 months where you'll wait 2 months max with Samsung

johnsamuels

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
My wife has a Huawei P20 Pro and receives regular updates. Huawei has said it will offer updates going forward at least every two months. Time will tell.

Seanetta

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
I wanted to get the Galaxy Note 9 before learning about the Mate 20 Pro as I want the best camera in a smartphone but I despise Bixby and it's dedicated button and also I hate how slow Samsung are to release OS updates and the bloatware they bundle like you have a Samsung variant of every Google app.

So how is Huawei in terms of OS updates? Can we expect fast updates close to stock Android timeline and also do they have bloatware in their phones?

In my experience especially lately,Huawei & Honor have massively improved in updates. As for bloatware most can be uninstalled unlike some phones

Mafiatounes

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
This is not the case for a long time with Huawei, had a p9 lite company phone last year and recieved almost every month security updates + An android & Emui update
If you hate Samsung for bloatware and updates you'll hate Huawei too. They're not quite as bad with the bloatware but updates are much slower. Huawei operate a quarterly update schedule so expect them every 3-4 months where you'll wait 2 months max with Samsung

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This is not the case for a long time with Huawei, had a p9 lite company phone last year and recieved almost every month security updates + An android & Emui update

I can assure you it is. My Mate 10 Pro has only had 2 updates in the past 6 months. I'm unlocked and in the UK and there's several threads on here from us all saying the same. I'm still on June security patch

Attachments

• 156640.jpg
    156640.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 96

DJW351981

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site

Don't answer things if you don't know what your talking about. I have a mate 9 and mate 10 and never wait more than 2 months for a update, in fact the last few have come pretty much every month.

I can assure you it is. My Mate 10 Pro has only had 2 updates in the past 6 months. I'm unlocked and in the UK and there's several threads on here from us all saying the same. I'm still on June security patch

Attachments

• 138084.jpg
    138084.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Don't answer things if you don't know what your talking about. I have a mate 9 and mate 10 and never wait more than 2 months for a update, in fact the last few have come pretty much every month.

Umm I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I'm talking about

That's great but I'm pretty sure you can see mine isn't lying? And same for all the other people in the other thread you saw

Last edited by a moderator:

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why your so far behind

It's like I said. The updates have been consistent but always quarterly. At least here in the UK and Europe and hasn't mattered if we're unlocked or with a carrier. I always find it strange that the US seems to get updates earlier and more frequent when Huawei are practically banned over there.

DJW351981

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
It's like I said. The updates have been consistent but always quarterly. At least here in the UK and Europe and hasn't mattered if we're unlocked or with a carrier. I always find it strange that the US seems to get updates earlier and more frequent when Huawei are practically banned over there.

I have the Chinese version of the regular mate 10 that has 6 gigs of RAM and 128 gigs of storage but it's rebranded with the international software, I'm pretty sure the international software is the same software y'all have in Europe right?

Mafiatounes

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Seeing the differences i think this is related to region and carrier, mine was EU/No carrier sh*t version which explains why there where regular updates. If i had a different version i would flash this over it.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
So what are the bloatware apps that you mention consist of? can someone list them please?

Also, can you just easily uninstall them or are they locked and you'd have to use some 3rd party app to force remove them (hello Samsung/Package Disabler Pro)

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I got the Mate 20 Pro UK unlocked version assuming it's better in updates vs the US version. I'm on Sept 1st security patch on US unlocked version.

BoostSimon

Feb 24, 2019
Visit site
Huawei is worse than samsung on updates and on bloatware. Emui 9 has more bloatware than One UI does. Google partnered up with samsung to develop One UI. A Huawei Y6 2017 is still stuck on Android 6 which was already 1 and a half year old when that phone released.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Huawei is worse than samsung on updates and on bloatware. Emui 9 has more bloatware than One UI does. Google partnered up with samsung to develop One UI. A Huawei Y6 2017 is still stuck on Android 6 which was already 1 and a half year old when that phone released.

Not really surprising given some of the things you said. Firstly while OneUI has some bloatware, it really isn’t noticeable, can easily be gotten rid of and is streets ahead of Huawei, LG, Xiaomi etc (only ones better are Google, OnePlus, Nokia). Secondly the Huawei Y6 2017 is a budget phone...profit margins are so thin that it wouldn’t be profitable to update the software regularly.

And even then, Huawei is pretty terrible with bloatware and software update timing >_<

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech