Went to the store to buy a Note 9, ended up with a Mate 20 Pro

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
So I went to one of the biggest cell phone retailers here in Dubai called AXIOM Telecom. I don't have any patience so I was actually going to buy the Galaxy Note 9 512GB. I played with it for a while but I wasn't impressed with the camera, photos look great but when you zoom in they look grainy and this was in a perfectly lit store. Then I tried the front facing camera, I was even more disappointed with that. Then I looked at my trusty BlackBerry Key2 and was like, is it really worth paying $1300 USD just go get a slightly better camera? I was in doubt....

I didn't even think they would have the Mate 20 Pro on display since it will be released on the 8th of November then I glance at the Huawei stand and I saw a Mate 20 Pro! I was super excited.

I picked it up, first thing is even though it's a big phone, it feels very good in the hand and looks like a quality device.

Then I tried navigating through the OS and it is snappy as hell!

Finally, I tried the camera and was simply blown away by the detail it captures, the wide angle lens adds a whole new perspective to photos and there is this maro mode where even if your phone is super close to an object ot even text, the photo won't be blurred and comes out super crisp so I was sold!

The pre-order offer is you get a free wireless charger, Huawei Watch GT, and VIP Service. Upon inquiring about what this VIP service is, they said that Huawei is giving 6 months accidental damage on the phone for free!

Can't wait till I get my hands on this thing! super excited!

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Well done you! I was waiting for the Pixel 3xl to arrive but was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem much of an upgrade so I got the Mate 20 Pro and am over the moon with it... Fab handset
So I went to one of the biggest cell phone retailers here in Dubai called AXIOM Telecom. I don't have any patience so I was actually going to buy the Galaxy Note 9 512GB. I played with it for a while but I wasn't impressed with the camera, photos look great but when you zoom in they look grainy and this was in a perfectly lit store. Then I tried the front facing camera, I was even more disappointed with that. Then I looked at my trusty BlackBerry Key2 and was like, is it really worth paying $1300 USD just go get a slightly better camera? I was in doubt....

I didn't even think they would have the Mate 20 Pro on display since it will be released on the 8th of November then I glance at the Huawei stand and I saw a Mate 20 Pro! I was super excited.

I picked it up, first thing is even though it's a big phone, it feels very good in the hand and looks like a quality device.

Finally, I tried the camera and was simply blown away by the detail it captures, the wide angle lens adds a whole new perspective to photos and there is this maro mode where even if your phone is super close to an object ot even text, the photo won't be blurred and comes out super crisp so I was sold!

The pre-order offer is you get a free wireless charger, Huawei Watch GT, and VIP Service. Upon inquiring about what this VIP service is, they said that Huawei is giving 6 months accidental damage on the phone for free!

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Well done you! I was waiting for the Pixel 3xl to arrive but was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem much of an upgrade so I got the Mate 20 Pro and am over the moon with it... Fab handset

I wanted the Pixel 3 (not the XL) but the bad audio recording quality kinda turned me off although I still wanted it for its small size which I prefer to be honest but the thing is, here in Dubai if I buy it, it would be without a warranty since they don't sell them locally and I've have to import it from the UK or US ANd the 128GB is like $1110 USD without shipping I though that's insane especially that it comes with no gifts so the Mate 20 Pro with the pre-offer deal sounded like a much better solution.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
We got a good deal in the UK too, the free watch and a wireless charger. If you take off those two items at full retail price its a saving of £260 off the handset price of £900. That means we've got one of the best Android phones out there for £640 an absolute bargain!
I wanted the Pixel 3 (not the XL) but the bad audio recording quality kinda turned me off although I still wanted it for its small size which I prefer to be honest but the thing is, here in Dubai if I buy it, it would be without a warranty since they don't sell them locally and I've have to import it from the UK or US ANd the 128GB is like $1110 USD without shipping I though that's insane especially that it comes with no gifts so the Mate 20 Pro with the pre-offer deal sounded like a much better solution.

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
We got a good deal in the UK too, the free watch and a wireless charger. If you take off those two items at full retail price its a saving of £260 off the handset price of £900. That means we've got one of the best Android phones out there for £640 an absolute bargain!

Interestingly I've got my mate 20 pro through O2, on the refresh plan and the cost of my handset is showing as £770. I've checked about vat but it says it includes vat.
This is on a two year contract. Although my plan is to keep for a year, sell it and pay off remaining balance and then buy a new phone!

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Do y'all think the Huawei Watch GT is worth it or shall I sell it? Anyone has any experience with it? I like the fact that it has a hear rate monitor as I workout 5-6 days a week but I don't know if there are any other features that would make me really wanna use it?

Like can it be used as an MP3 player? Can it answer/make phone calls and if it can, how the heck do you listen to the caller and talk to them? do you need to put the watch near your ear?

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I think it's just a sports type watch with GPS heart monitor and distance calculator for use on a bike or canoeing etc.
Do y'all think the Huawei Watch GT is worth it or shall I sell it? Anyone has any experience with it? I like the fact that it has a hear rate monitor as I workout 5-6 days a week but I don't know if there are any other features that would make me really wanna use it?

Like can it be used as an MP3 player? Can it answer/make phone calls and if it can, how the heck do you listen to the caller and talk to them? do you need to put the watch near your ear?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I want to see how it handles notifications before I decide to sell. Given I'd expect a low sell on it could be useful in the absence of full functional AOD

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly sure that you do get notifications but it can't be used to make calls etc. In all fairness, making calls from a watch isn't my cup of tea at all

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

Bro how much did mate 20 pro cost u in Dubai... Aed ? Me too planning to buy

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

Good for you man, you won't regret it. Mate 10 Pro = Best phone on the planet. Anybody that says otherwise owns an iPhone or.. Well there is no or

chenized

Nov 1, 2018
Visit site
Good for you man, you won't regret it. Mate 10 Pro = Best phone on the planet. Anybody that says otherwise owns an iPhone or.. Well there is no or

🤣🤣🤣 i had a mate 10 pro , it was so unreliable...

I wanted a 2nd phone as my Priv is the ine I use for work.

Was between a S8+ and mate 10 pro , ended up with a 10 pro...

I had a microphone failure, and wifi antenna not working.

Sent the unit for repair, 1 month later the phone was supposedly repaired , switched it on and camera had a non working focus...

If this is the best phone...

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Went back to the store today and canceled my pre-order and got my money back.

I am seeing too many issues which I'm not liking and not willing to pay such a price for a phone which is full of bugs:

1) Jelly effect in video camera is a major stop shower

2) no availability of nano sd cards (yet) and their proprietary so it means I can't reuse them in the future on other phones

3) the clicking sound which many are experiencing

4) fingerprint scanner is a bit slow

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
i had a mate 10 pro , it was so unreliable...

I wanted a 2nd phone as my Priv is the ine I use for work.

Was between a S8+ and mate 10 pro , ended up with a 10 pro...

I had a microphone failure, and wifi antenna not working.

Sent the unit for repair, 1 month later the phone was supposedly repaired , switched it on and camera had a non working focus...

If this is the best phone...
WOW! That is awful. My Mate 10 Pro was rock solid, absolutely enjoyed it, but I did prefer my Galaxy Note8 at the time.

Absolutely loving the Mate 20 Pro though, it has corrected all that I didn't like in the Mate 10 Pro which was:
- 1080P Display Only
- Lack of Wireless Charging
- No Expandable Storage

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Went back to the store today and canceled my pre-order and got my money back.

I am seeing too many issues which I'm not liking and not willing to pay such a price for a phone which is full of bugs:

1) Jelly effect in video camera is a major stop shower

2) no availability of nano sd cards (yet) and their proprietary so it means I can't reuse them in the future on other phones

3) the clicking sound which many are experiencing

4) fingerprint scanner is a bit slow

Oh bro....ok...but these things can be easily fixed with a software update..if u see from iphones to pixel all have issue...dubai pre order goodies are over now :(..will buy in India when pre order starts hope they offer same free goodies here

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Do you think we'd actually get £260 for the GT watch if we sold it on eBay?

I have no need for a smartwatch and I'd like to make the £899 for the Mate 20 Pro much more palatable by making it £640!