Bugs / Issues thread

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Just over a week in and I am continuing the experience some issues/bugs and the lovely hardware is really contrasting with what I think is a sub-par software experience (even if EMIU does have some neat features) Anyway I thought it might be an idea to start a bugs/issues thread in the hope that some may actually be solvable? Some are bugs and some are maybe just missing features, so here are is what I have found so far in no particular order……..

- Does not play nicely with 3rd party launchers, the gestures especially are quite clunky e.g. swipe up for home briefly shows the open apps in the app switcher before the home page loads

- App switcher pt 1 - if you try and click to open any items other than the one in the middle you get taken home i.e. you have to swipe on the switcher to get the app you want in the middle before you can open it.

- App switcher pt 2 - Sometimes when swiping to recent apps the current app will show behind the recent apps instead of the home wallpaper.

- Bluetooth volume sync. The volume for headphones and device has to be set independently

- Apps not being held in the background and re-load when you switch back to them (especially annoying on Tapatalk!!). Not sure if this is memory management or just over aggressive closing of apps but changing the app launch settings under battery does not seem to fix it.

- Notifications do not always come through (again probably down to aggressive background management)

- The contacts app is not syncing properly and I cannot call my contacts from the dialler. I am using the BB hub and BB contacts app (as it is the only one I know that supports iCloud carddav contacts) but despite the contacts being there just fine in the BB contacts app the account shows in the stock contacts app but is empty which means I cannot dial any of my contacts

- Camera hangs. Has happened quite a few times.

- FPS not working with my banking app (First Direct)

I have been quite critical of Samsung for not embracing project treble and speeding up their updates but I think Samsung has a level of slickness that only apple surpasses. I am really on the fence about keeping it tbh as the software experience is ruining what is otherwise an amazing device, what is niggling me is that having issues at launch is not out of the ordinary (just look at the pixel 3) but I am not sure I have faith in Huawei to actually fix them quickly. As an aside I have been using my LG G7 for the last couple of days and whilst LG’s software is not great either, the G7 is a joy to use mostly even if it does not feel quite as quick or looks as nice. Actually think the G7 is a huge bargain and often overlooked but that is a discussion for another forum!

Anyway interested to see what issues other people are having or if it just me being super picky!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Just over a week in and I am continuing the experience some issues/bugs and the lovely hardware is really contrasting with what I think is a sub-par software experience (even if EMIU does have some neat features) Anyway I thought it might be an idea to start a bugs/issues thread in the hope that some may actually be solvable? Some are bugs and some are maybe just missing features, so here are is what I have found so far in no particular order……..

- Does not play nicely with 3rd party launchers, the gestures especially are quite clunky e.g. swipe up for home briefly shows the open apps in the app switcher before the home page loads

- App switcher pt 1 - if you try and click to open any items other than the one in the middle you get taken home i.e. you have to swipe on the switcher to get the app you want in the middle before you can open it.

- App switcher pt 2 - Sometimes when swiping to recent apps the current app will show behind the recent apps instead of the home wallpaper.

- Bluetooth volume sync. The volume for headphones and device has to be set independently

- Apps not being held in the background and re-load when you switch back to them (especially annoying on Tapatalk!!). Not sure if this is memory management or just over aggressive closing of apps but changing the app launch settings under battery does not seem to fix it.

- Notifications do not always come through (again probably down to aggressive background management)

- The contacts app is not syncing properly and I cannot call my contacts from the dialler. I am using the BB hub and BB contacts app (as it is the only one I know that supports iCloud carddav contacts) but despite the contacts being there just fine in the BB contacts app the account shows in the stock contacts app but is empty which means I cannot dial any of my contacts

I have been quite critical of Samsung for not embracing project treble and speeding up their updates but I think Samsung has a level of slickness that only apple surpasses. I am really on the fence about keeping it tbh as the software experience is ruining what is otherwise an amazing device, what is niggling me is that having issues at launch is not out of the ordinary (just look at the pixel 3) but I am not sure I have faith in Huawei to actually fix them quickly. As an aside I have been using my LG G7 for the last couple of days and whilst LG’s software is not great either, the G7 is a joy to use mostly even if it does not feel quite as quick or looks as nice. Actually think the G7 is a huge bargain and often overlooked but that is a discussion for another forum!

Anyway interested to see what issues other people are having or if it just me being super picky!

- Yep, it does not seem to play nicely with launchers, I tried Nova on the 113 FW and it worked great, tied again on the 126 FW, and no longer so good.

-WRT Multitasking, just go to Settings - Battery - App Launch and Turn off 'Manage Automatically', and apps will stay in the background.

-FPS seems to be down to each bank, it works fine for my bank (FNB South Africa)

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Some are not really bugs but here are my issues with the phone in the first 12 hours

• Gestures and raise to wake do not work as expected and are unreliable
  • On this party apps, if I use the action "switch to previous app" sometimes it opens the app "flashlight" and turn on the LED (which I didn't open before nor was the last app), very inconvenient in public places as people will think I am taking a picture or recording them
  • Blue tint on top half of the screen during the day
  • Radiactive green on edges during the night, even with auto brightness and in rooms with lights on (known issue and apparently this is just the beggining as it will get a lot worse)
  • Overall, screen colors look bad, LG display is nothing compared to Samsung display used on Note 9
  • Some of my samsung wireless charger do not charge it even though they work fine with other phones
  • Samsung browser is the only browser that I because of the ad block that actually works and other features but it has an extreme lag (6-8 seconds) to open recent tabs or to switch between them using slide gesture.
  • Does not feel any faster than my Note 9, dropped frames everywhere, both are considerably slower than the oneplus 6 I had
  • Youtube does not have the option to zoom only up to where the notch starts unless I am using the "hide notch" option in settings which causes other issues.
  • Speakers and in-display scanner are just okay, a little bit disappointing

An update after 3 days:

• Green tint is getting worse, driving after sunset and putting my phone on phone holder looks extremelly bad, especially if using spotify
  • Bluetooth cut off problems sometimes with 2018 ford
  • Camera autofocus seems extremely slow or non-existent, in general point of shoot pictures are being better with Note 9
  • Signal strength seems to be worse in my area, only noticeable with youtube

Attachments

• received_2158028471105096.jpg
    received_2158028471105096.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 35

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Surely the radioactive edges are a hardware fault? I’d be returning it if mine had that. Forgot about raise to wake, mine has been inconsistent too with that

I’ve tried the app launch settings and that did not change it, I read somewhere that there is another setting (battery optimization??) which I might try when I get home later. Also wondering if there are any 3rd party launchers that play nice with EMIU or is the choice simply stock launcher and gestures vs Nova and button navigation?

The thing is my gut is telling me to cut my losses and sell it on but another part is looking for a reason to keep it as the hardware is just so nice and some of EMIU is actually pretty good. If I felt that Huawei would be quick with the fixes and updates I think I’d hang in there.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Some are not really bugs but here are my issues with the phone in the first 12 hours

• On this party apps, if I use the action "switch to previous app" sometimes it opens the app "flashlight" and turn on the LED (which I didn't open before nor was the last app), very inconvenient in public places as people will think I am taking a picture or recording them
  • Radiactive green on edges during the night, even with auto brightness and in rooms with lights on (known issue and apparently this is just the beggining as it will get a lot worse)
  • Overall, screen colors look bad, LG display is nothing compared to Samsung display used on Note 9
  • Some of my samsung wireless charger do not charge it even though they work fine with other phones
  • Samsung browser is the only browser that I because of the ad block that actually works and other features but it has an extreme lag (6-8 seconds) to open recent tabs or to switch between them using slide gesture.
  • Does not feel any faster than my Note 9, dropped frames everywhere, both are considerably slower than the oneplus 6 I had
  • Youtube does not have the option to zoom only up to where the notch starts unless I am using the "hide notch" option in settings which causes other issues.

An update after 3 days:

• Green tint is getting worse, driving after sunset and putting my phone on phone holder looks extremelly bad, especially if using spotify
  • Camera autofocus seems extremely slow or non-existent, in general point of shoot pictures are being better with Note 9
WRT UI speed, you can turn off Animations and set the phone to performance mode. To turn off notifications go to Accessibility Settings and turn off Advanced Visual Effects.

WRT YouTube - got to the Notch settings and select YouTube as a place where the Notch is off.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Just discovered that mine also has the green edges, all down the right hand side, not so bad on the left.

At least I should be able to return it now I guess.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Surely the radioactive edges are a hardware fault? I’d be returning it if mine had that. Forgot about raise to wake, mine has been inconsistent too with that

I’ve tried the app launch settings and that did not change it, I read somewhere that there is another setting (battery optimization??) which I might try when I get home later. Also wondering if there are any 3rd party launchers that play nice with EMIU or is the choice simply stock launcher and gestures vs Nova and button navigation?

The thing is my gut is telling me to cut my losses and sell it on but another part is looking for a reason to keep it as the hardware is just so nice and some of EMIU is actually pretty good. If I felt that Huawei would be quick with the fixes and updates I think I’d hang in there.

Huawei is quick with updates, all my previous Huaweis have had lots of updates and the Mate 9 is on Oreo+still being updated.

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site

App switching, and click on the left or the right app (rather than the middle) takes me to the correct app fine. So maybe this was fixed in the recent update? Never noticed a problem before though, and it certainly works on mine. If you still have issues, maybe check for updates. I don't use gesture controls, might make a difference.

Notification and background reload, it seems to learn what apps you use over time and not swap them out of memory. Just turn of auto management of the key apps you definitely want notifications always and to not get killed in the background and that solves that problem. I didn't like it at first, but thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense. Its one of the reasons the battery life is so amazing, as it will clean away unused apps.

Not had an issue with the camera so far, and i've used it a lot.

FPS works with Natwest banking app, so maybe that is a software issue from First Direct??

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

An update after 3 days:

There's a HUGE thread about this over on xda.

zhuhang

Nov 18, 2018
Visit site
Using the Mate 20 for less than a day and found a few annoying things:

- (bug) App switcher: Only pressing the middle app will switch app. Not able to click the partially visible adjacent apps (will go to home screen)

- (experience) navigation keys - Their icon positioning is kinda bad. the keys are too packed at the middle of the screen, instead they should be placed evenly, and the clickable areas should be widen. (I drawn an image below) I'm not sure this is an EMUI thing or Android Pie thing? Want to make a suggestion to Huawei.

huawei-emui-navbar-suggest.jpg

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Using the Mate 20 for less than a day and found a few annoying things:

- (bug) App switcher: Only pressing the middle app will switch app. Not able to click the partially visible adjacent apps (will go to home screen)

- (experience) navigation keys - Their icon positioning is kinda bad. the keys are too packed at the middle of the screen, instead they should be placed evenly, and the clickable areas should be widen. (I drawn an image below) I'm not sure this is an EMUI thing or Android Pie thing? Want to make a suggestion to Huawei.

View attachment 294267

It's so you can reach the buttons more easily with one hand.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to get notifications on the AOD screen? I'm not seeing it, except for a missed calls icon and number. Definitely not seeing other notifications though, such as email, etc. Maybe that defeats the purpose of the AOD but I think it would be nice.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to get notifications on the AOD screen? I'm not seeing it, except for a missed calls icon and number. Definitely not seeing other notifications though, such as email, etc. Maybe that defeats the purpose of the AOD but I think it would be nice.
It's a very limited AOD, it does not show any of those, let alone 3rd party app notifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol