Huawei MATE 20 Pro green screen issue

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
There's literally 134 page thread on xda and not a peep on here. Here's the link to that thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ma...-pro-greenish-display-screen-t3859268/page134
Has anyone checked their device yet? There's a app on the play store called Hw device info that you can use to see which screen supplier your phone has. Many of them that do show the green bleeding get much worse over time. This is a bigger issue for us in the US that import it because there is no way to get warranty support.
Here is a link to the app you can use to check your screen:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mate20pro

It's a gray background. Slide the brightness down to close to zero in a very dark room and if yours is affected you will see the green like on mine. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Attachments

• 4704.jpg
    4704.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 101

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Got a BOE display so I am all good. :)

Lucky you

Post #1332 seems to have the solution - cure the screen with UV light until it stops (maybe half an hour).

Maybe? That seems like a weird thing to do. Maybe they rushed the devices out? If it's that easy of a fix surely they wouldn't be replacing devices over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been posting directly on a the Huawei forums. I returned my first device to o2 (they've been very good about it all, as have many other UK suppliers as per others posts) and got my second device yesterday, another LG screen!
I'm hoping it's from a good batch and won't green screen bleed!
Real shame as its a great phone.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe? That seems like a weird thing to do. Maybe they rushed the devices out? If it's that easy of a fix surely they wouldn't be replacing devices over it.

It makes a little sense tbh. When you bond the outer glass to the digitiser they use UV light to cure the bonding agent. Same when you buy replacement glass kits on ebay for phones, they supply a UV torch to do it yourself. Maybe the LG screens have left the factory not being cured long enough and someone has discovered it themselves at home. Definitely worth a try for users in the US with issues as it's a lot easier than paying out.

Seems like Huawei finally made a phone that had mass appeal and LG have screwed it for them with their supplied displays. This'll certainly put a lot of people off giving them a second chance when they were probably sceptical beforehand

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
It makes a little sense tbh. When you bond the outer glass to the digitiser they use UV light to cure the bonding agent. Same when you buy replacement glass kits on ebay for phones, they supply a UV torch to do it yourself. Maybe the LG screens have left the factory not being cured long enough and someone has discovered it themselves at home. Definitely worth a try for users in the US with issues as it's a lot easier than paying out.

Yeah that's true I may have to try this to see if it helps. Haven't been able to call Malaysia and they haven't responded by email. That's the way Huawei service works. You have to do service in the country of origin. I may not even be able to get service but I haven't been able to confirm that with them. I can't even use the Malaysia toll free number here in the US.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Seems like Huawei finally made a phone that had mass appeal and LG have screwed it for them with their supplied displays. This'll certainly put a lot of people off giving them a second chance when they were probably sceptical beforehand

You can blame LG, Huawei owns the process and QA both the product and suppliers. Fault is all theirs IMO.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

never buying a Huawei phone ever again! Thank God I canceled my pre-order as I have many friends here that bought this phone and have the same issues with the screen here in Dubai.

What's worse is that all those reviews on YouTube make it sound like the best thing ever made since sliced bread but no one talks about these little things like screen issues or OS bugs that we're seeing.

Yobo1987

Nov 26, 2018
Visit site
never buying a Huawei phone ever again! Thank God I canceled my pre-order as I have many friends here that bought this phone and have the same issues with the screen here in Dubai.

What's worse is that all those reviews on YouTube make it sound like the best thing ever made since sliced bread but no one talks about these little things like screen issues or OS bugs that we're seeing.

Money my friend, money.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I am switching back to iPhone. I will never buy a Huawei again. It's the worst **** ever.

LG dropped the ball here once again, units using Chinese BOE screens are fine. If you're in the US trying contacting Huawei Canada customer support to see if you can work something out.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
LG dropped the ball here once again, units using Chinese BOE screens are fine. If you're in the US trying contacting Huawei Canada customer support to see if you can work something out.

Ha tried that. They just sent me the link to the Singapore support site which I've emailed a couple times with no luck. Guess I'm just sol lol. Canada won't offer service and neither will Huawei USA. I can't even find social network accounts for Huawei Singapore and their toll free number won't work here in the US. 😔

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I've got an LG screen with no problems(EE UK)... in fact this is one of the best devices I've ever owned.. Love it

Dec 5, 2018
Visit site
I'm in taiwan and bought my huawei mate 20 pro a couple weeks ago, in a few day I was already having the green screen issue and I got it changed at the store that I bought. This happened like a week ago. And now on this other mate 20 pro, that also has a LG screen, I have the same problem. What should I do now?

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm in taiwan and bought my huawei mate 20 pro a couple weeks ago, in a few day I was already having the green screen issue and I got it changed at the store that I bought. This happened like a week ago. And now on this other mate 20 pro, that also has a LG screen, I have the same problem. What should I do now?

Definitely get it swapped again. Huawei has supposedly been good about swapping them out multiple times if necessary. I wouldnt leave the store without checking it.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I was informed Huawei will not let me send my phone in through the mail for service in Singapore. What good is a warranty if I have to visit in person? If they don't rectify this I'm never buying a Huawei phone again.