I've heard great reviews on this phone. Everyone seems to like everything about it other than ... A heavy, bloated, buggy UI and some green screen issues. I'm assuming that the green screen is just the luck of the draw and I can always return it. As far as the software ... Can it be solved with the addition of a third party launcher and some tweaks? Is there anyone that came from Nexus / Pixel / OnePlus / stock Android to this phone and is happy with it? I've been on OnePlus for a while and I'm looking for a change just for the sake of change, but I don't want to get bogged down in Samsung "touch wiz" hell.
    Eggmundo likes this.
    03-01-2019 01:23 AM
    My Mate 20 Pro is my FIRST Huawei smartphone. Trust me, its not HELL... And since i use nova launcher for most of my Android phones. The rest is the same as other android...
    SoCal2019 and aximtreo like this.
    03-01-2019 02:04 AM
    My Mate 20 Pro is my FIRST Huawei smartphone. Trust me, its not HELL... And since i use nova launcher for most of my Android phones. The rest is the same as other android...
    That's great to hear. I'm seriously considering the device or possibly waiting for the P30 Pro in March. If Nova launcher pretty much keeps everything the same as other phones then it would likely work for me. Have you had any green screen issues?
    03-01-2019 02:08 AM
    That's great to hear. I'm seriously considering the device or possibly waiting for the P30 Pro in March. If Nova launcher pretty much keeps everything the same as other phones then it would likely work for me. Have you had any green screen issues?
    im from Indonesia.i at first bought the 8/256 version(from Singapore) but i dropped it and it cracked.so i bought another 1 which is the 6/128 version(Indonesian Official Warranty).and it has the BOE Screen.since people are saying the LG Screen has gluegate issues i believe mine at the moment is safe.but IF you could wait,wait for P30 Pro.

because personally for me,newer is better.
    03-01-2019 02:43 AM
    and btw i have severe OCD...if it werent good enough i would be bashing it.not perfect but enough to not trigger my OCD.
    03-01-2019 02:46 AM
    Came from Nexus 6P > Pixel 2XL> P20 Pro > Mate 20 Pro and am really happy with this handset. I've got an LG screen and had no problems whatsoever. Have used built in UI with all my phones and am more than happy with this one
    SoCal2019 likes this.
    03-01-2019 02:57 AM
    Came from Nexus 6P > Pixel 2XL> P20 Pro > Mate 20 Pro and am really happy with this handset. I've got an LG screen and had no problems whatsoever. Have used built in UI with all my phones and am more than happy with this one
    you use the built in launcher?i tried it for a while but it pisses me off as swiping down doesnt show notifs..
    03-01-2019 02:59 AM
    you use the built in launcher?i tried it for a while but it pisses me off as swiping down doesnt show notifs..
    Yep, quite used to it... Usually check for dots for notifications, does me.
    03-01-2019 03:13 AM
    Yep, quite used to it... Usually check for dots for notifications, does me.
    I like swiping down. And yeah gotta swipe from top and not middle. Such a hassle. If Huawei could change the function i would use it lol.
    03-01-2019 04:29 AM
    I've heard great reviews on this phone. Everyone seems to like everything about it other than ... A heavy, bloated, buggy UI and some green screen issues. I'm assuming that the green screen is just the luck of the draw and I can always return it. As far as the software ... Can it be solved with the addition of a third party launcher and some tweaks? Is there anyone that came from Nexus / Pixel / OnePlus / stock Android to this phone and is happy with it? I've been on OnePlus for a while and I'm looking for a change just for the sake of change, but I don't want to get bogged down in Samsung "touch wiz" hell.
    While im at it...
    Attached Thumbnails Mate 20 Pro - Software Hell?-screenshot_20190301_204933_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg  
    03-01-2019 07:50 AM
    It is not hell and even has some stuff I quite like but overall it is not as polished as say a Samsung. The lack of a proper AOD remains a huge issue for me, for others not so much. Gestures have improved but are still a little buggy.

Battery life is epic, it has proper 3d face unlock, the camera is great and the twilight colour IMO makes it the nicest looking phone currently available and I include the S10 in that. Also size wise it sits in-between the S10 and 10+ which IMO is a nice sweet spot.

It will be the lack of a proper functional AOD that will probably see me get rid of it as this is something I just really want on a phone but if that does not bother you then IMO it is the best droid out there.
    03-01-2019 10:45 AM
    It is not hell and even has some stuff I quite like but overall it is not as polished as say a Samsung. The lack of a proper AOD remains a huge issue for me, for others not so much. Gestures have improved but are still a little buggy.

Battery life is epic, it has proper 3d face unlock, the camera is great and the twilight colour IMO makes it the nicest looking phone currently available and I include the S10 in that. Also size wise it sits in-between the S10 and 10+ which IMO is a nice sweet spot.

It will be the lack of a proper functional AOD that will probably see me get rid of it as this is something I just really want on a phone but if that does not bother you then IMO it is the best droid out there.
    Yep agree with you there, AOD really doesn't bother me and this phone is still as fast as the day I got it.. Still love it and the camera... Here's a shot I took on auto the other morning straight into the rising sun... Mate 20 Pro - Software Hell?-img_20190227_072015.jpeg
    chrispmoto likes this.
    03-01-2019 11:58 AM
    Yes, lack AOD 3rd party notifications is killing me. I keep tweeting or replying to huawei official handles hoping some day they will implement this... I request you too do it if doable.

03-01-2019 02:10 PM
    Yes, lack AOD 3rd party notifications is killing me. I keep tweeting or replying to huawei official handles hoping some day they will implement this... I request you too do it if doable.
    It is doable I just don't think they care about it. A little like Oneplus with the AOD and wireless charging, don't think it is on their radar.
    03-02-2019 02:36 AM
    Software is not buggy in anyway. It's also not as "clean" as stock android but it gets the job done. I've used the stock launcher for a few weeks and works fine. Nova definitely has some better convenient features.

Phone is amazing and you'll definitely enjoy it
    dc52ltr and EricMartinSoCal like this.
    03-02-2019 02:46 AM
    The software is not bad at all, it's really down to how you customize it.

If anything, EMUI tries to tie into Google very well, and is incredibly fast and efficient overall.

There are two things that can get annoying but ultimately lead to incredible battery life:

1. EMUI is relentless at being efficient, it wants to kill any app that is using more than it's fair share of resources - This however can be turned off.

2. EMUI has very little pointless animation, it tries to get everything done as quick as possible.

All this means you get a fast UI that never slows down and ridiculously long battery life.

I came from a Galaxy Note8, and I used to do a lot of Custom ROM swapping using clean ROMs with my older Samsungs (S3 and S4 especially), but I have to say the Mate 20 Pro has been a real Power House, it's exactly what Samsung wanted to build with the Galaxy S and Note series but never got quite right in terms of some aspects.
    dc52ltr and EricMartinSoCal like this.
    03-02-2019 04:07 AM
    The software is not bad at all, it's really down to how you customize it.

If anything, EMUI tries to tie into Google very well, and is incredibly fast and efficient overall.

There are two things that can get annoying but ultimately lead to incredible battery life:

1. EMUI is relentless at being efficient, it wants to kill any app that is using more than it's fair share of resources - This however can be turned off.

2. EMUI has very little pointless animation, it tries to get everything done as quick as possible.

All this means you get a fast UI that never slows down and ridiculously long battery life.

I came from a Galaxy Note8, and I used to do a lot of Custom ROM swapping using clean ROMs with my older Samsungs (S3 and S4 especially), but I have to say the Mate 20 Pro has been a real Power House, it's exactly what Samsung wanted to build with the Galaxy S and Note series but never got quite right in terms of some aspects.
    This is very helpful and good to hear. I assume that adding a third party launcher is the first way to "clean up" the UI. I'll likely use Nova since unfortunately Google no longer makes the "Google Now" launcher available to everyone. Are there other recommendations you have to tweak the phone? I basically don't need / want any of the extra fluff.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-02-2019 01:43 PM
    This is very helpful and good to hear. I assume that adding a third party launcher is the first way to "clean up" the UI. I'll likely use Nova since unfortunately Google no longer makes the "Google Now" launcher available to everyone. Are there other recommendations you have to tweak the phone? I basically don't need / want any of the extra fluff.
    Just delete/uninstall /force stop anything you don't use and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine... Good luck with whatever device you get
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    03-02-2019 04:42 PM
    The only "HELL" i have right now is this.
    Attached Thumbnails Mate 20 Pro - Software Hell?-img_20190304_090753.jpg  
    03-03-2019 09:02 PM