I was thinking about buying one, but are there enough good apps and Google alternatives in Huawei app store?
    06-06-2020 12:00 PM
    Personally been using Android for nearly a decade and have invested several hundred dollars into the Play Store. I also rely on Google for music daily and use YouTube almost daily. A phone without the Play Store or Google services wouldn't work for me.

Huawei has great hardware, and while the majority of apps would still be usable on their phones, I won't touch them without Google services.
    gendo667 likes this.
    06-06-2020 04:19 PM
    @wakawaka89 has been posting recently about their experience with the P40, so maybe they can weigh in?
    06-06-2020 06:28 PM
    Hey thanx for the recommendation!!

I haven't missed any of Googles services at all, after spending 7 years on Google I had started to feel like an iPhone user. I asked myself what I used Chrome, playstore to download apps, maps and the occasional youtube.

Alternatives ive used are Huawei browser, however recently downloaded Duck Duck go! I download my apps through Petal search which I downloaded through appgallery. Here we go is what I use as maps as its the second best offline navigation next to Google. YouTube is pinned to my home screen. I have my banking apps, I wont use google pay as my friend used it once and got scammed from it. I stopped using it after that as there have been a few reports. Google Music is closing down isn't it? Huawei have Huawei music but I use spotify. Ive been enjoying Huaweis news feed as I enjoyed google. Obviously I still use my gmail email address just via email
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-12-2020 03:47 AM
    Google Music is closing down isn't it?
    Play Music is going away at some point. Google is shifting focus to YouTube Music.
    06-12-2020 01:37 PM
    Years ago I bought a kickstarter called MiPC and it ran 4.4 without GMS. It was a nice device and i downloaded apps through Amazon app store. But there wasn't enough for me at the time. It was then I bought Nova. I think it was 2013.

Anyway the developers eventually gave us a way to install Google Play services using rooting and it was loads better. But until then I couldn't import my calendars even through using Microsoft services. They just wouldn't pick up by the AOSP calendar app.

After the experience of using this device and later Amazon tablets I couldn't move away from google services on Android. For me it just doesn't work and I wouldn't pay Huawei top prices for a phone that was so decidedly crippled.
    06-12-2020 02:44 PM
    Years ago I bought a kickstarter called MiPC and it ran 4.4 without GMS. It was a nice device and i downloaded apps through Amazon app store. But there wasn't enough for me at the time. It was then I bought Nova. I think it was 2013.

Anyway the developers eventually gave us a way to install Google Play services using rooting and it was loads better. But until then I couldn't import my calendars even through using Microsoft services. They just wouldn't pick up by the AOSP calendar app.

After the experience of using this device and later Amazon tablets I couldn't move away from google services on Android. For me it just doesn't work and I wouldn't pay Huawei top prices for a phone that was so decidedly crippled.
    hmm tbh ive not looked at the calender aspect of it yet, I know I can sync my calender to Huawei cloud but need to look at how I can use it with teams! Ill report back on this
    06-15-2020 04:49 AM
    I have P40 Pro and honestly it is a better device then a S20U which i also have.

After i recieved the P40P i went on and looked up how to install GMS after 30min i was finished and everything setup. Everything works for my use banking apps, YT music, YT, Android Auto and so on.

The hassle to setup is not a big deal tbh and i would still prefer this device over others at the moment.
    06-17-2020 02:57 AM
    I have P40 Pro and honestly it is a better device then a S20U which i also have.

After i recieved the P40P i went on and looked up how to install GMS after 30min i was finished and everything setup. Everything works for my use banking apps, YT music, YT, Android Auto and so on.

The hassle to setup is not a big deal tbh and i would still prefer this device over others at the moment.
    Were you not tempted to try it without GMS at all? Ive been using it without GMS and im really enhoying it.
    06-17-2020 04:06 AM
    Were you not tempted to try it without GMS at all? Ive been using it without GMS and im really enhoying it.
    Actually yes! But only after i setup everything i started to think about how it would have been with only HMS. Might give it a try if reset the device in the future.
    06-17-2020 04:45 AM
    yeh im glad ive tried it without it tbh
    06-18-2020 04:25 AM