02-23-2017 03:47 AM
66 123
tools
    Cell Phones with a Carrier Contract and Unlocked Phones

You can return or exchange cell phones with a carrier contract and unlocked phones within 14 days. Like the carrier stores, we have a charge ($35) for return or exchange of these products. This return period and charge also applies if you are a My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus member.

Best Buy Return & Exchange Policy - Best Buy
    OK, that's great. I guess I should feel lucky. I've never been charged a restocking fee at best buy.
    01-14-2017 07:02 PM
    I purchased both of them on the same day, both unlocked and working on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure which one to keep. I love the Mate 9's 4000 mAh battery, Android 7.0, and the 5.9 inch screen and it's definitely the best big phone I've used since the Note7, but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal.

Yes, I know this is a first world problem and it's a problem most people don't get to have, but I can only keep one of the phones anyways. Which one would you keep?
    I'm in the exact same situation, lol. The deal breaker with the mate 9 for me is the "themes". I think every phone should give the option for a "light" or "dark" theme. I prefer "black" backgrounds over "white". And when I say "black", I mean settings, contacts, dialer, messages etc.... Not just 1or 2 of these. And another issue I am having is within the messaging app. When I send a group message with a photo attached, the quality of the photo is really bad. I might have to give the 3t a try.
    01-14-2017 09:39 PM
    ...but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal. Which one would you keep?
    Personally for me, i would go with the Galaxy S7. Simply because it's got a nice IP68 Rating, its got a good low light camera AND the screen size is much more manageable. My hands are fairly small and a 5.9" inch screen is too big. I prefer the Mate 9's design and really big battery, but overall i think the S7 would be the better choice.
    01-15-2017 12:09 AM
    How I wish that were true but I can assure you that at least here, in Maryland, they do have a restocking fee on unlocked phones. Ranging from $20-$35. ...guess it depends on the mood the sales clerk is in. They charged me $20 when I returned the Honor 8 and $35 when I returned the Xperia X. I didn't argue since I wasn't in the mood and got to play with the phones that they may no longer be able to sell as "new".
    Depends on why the item is being returned. If it is "I bought 7 phones and didn't like these 6," you'll definitely get restocking fees.

If it is "Well, this is defective," they should waive it.
    01-15-2017 07:35 AM
    I purchased both of them on the same day, both unlocked and working on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure which one to keep. I love the Mate 9's 4000 mAh battery, Android 7.0, and the 5.9 inch screen and it's definitely the best big phone I've used since the Note7, but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal.

Yes, I know this is a first world problem and it's a problem most people don't get to have, but I can only keep one of the phones anyways. Which one would you keep?
    It depends on what you're looking for. I had both as well until recently.

Mate 9:
    Better battery life, better performance, newer chipset, bigger screen, USB Type C, better speakers, Leica cameras setup is pretty fun to play with too.

S7 Edge:
    More compact, Higher resolution AMOLED panel, nicer looking software design, IP68, superb camera performance, VR ecosystem, Samsung Pay.

Personally I really like the Mate 9, but the software design could use a bit of work. Even if you can use a stock looking icon pack, and have app drawer, or slap a launcher on it, some aspects of the phone are just too heavily themed. Like how they slaughtered the material design floating action button. But the performance is really faultless in my time with it. If I wanted a bigger screen phone, this would definitely be in my consideration. Where I live Huawei provides a more competitive warranty package too.

S7 Edge would be my choice here, because it's just such a well rounded package for the most part. Camera and display is right at the top of the pack along with IP68. The software design is actually pretty decent too even on the Nougat beta. But, it's too far along in its cycle to me to get one now for me. Especially with the next generation of flagship phones on their way.

Design wise I find both just as good looking, so again, it's preference.

But frankly if you're not someone who changes phone frequently, then it doesn't matter anyway. Just weigh what you like and dislike about each phone, and then see what you can live with, and what you can't live without.
    01-15-2017 07:40 AM
    OK, that's great. I guess I should feel lucky. I've never been charged a restocking fee at best buy.
    I have never been charged a restocking fee at Best Buy either.
    01-15-2017 01:55 PM
    Inside 14 day window?

Amazon is very easy and 30-days (aybe Prime only)
    01-15-2017 02:34 PM
    I'll say this with the S8 being right round the corner (given everything I've said) I'd hold off if I did not want the 9. We're just too close to the S8 pay full price for last years phone. We're not a situation of waiting for a better version, because it's pretty much here in March. If I was to pick up a S7E it would be used. The 9 would hold you over until the N9 comes out.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    01-15-2017 03:38 PM
    i'm doing a trial run of the Mate 9 and comparing to my S7E (Exynos). S7E was to be a backup for my Note 7; however, the S7E has been a daily driver for 8 months now. i'm not a fan of "the S7E curved screen" but i've dealt with it because the S7E was the better option for my needs. (for me) the Mate 9 is a very capable substitute for my Note 7 (withdrawal symptoms, lol) until the Note X is available later this year. the one huge fail (for me) is Google Voice (GV) integration... i can't make calls with my GV number and the option to "choose which number to make a call" is woefully inconsistent and works 2 out of 10 times. if i can't resolve this issue, i'll have to go back to my S7E.
    01-16-2017 01:00 PM
    I was charged a $35 restocking fee from Best Buy today. Dang. I guess they're implementing that now.
    01-16-2017 01:42 PM
    I was charged a $35 restocking fee from Best Buy today. Dang. I guess they're implementing that now.
    So did you decide to keep the S7 Edge and return the Mate 9?
    01-16-2017 02:18 PM
    So did you decide to keep the S7 Edge and return the Mate 9?
    I decided to keep the S7 edge, actually. The overall package of the S7 edge is better for me (better low light photos, IP68 rating, QHD SAMOLED display). I love the Mate 9, but the S7 edge is more practical for me because I work outdoors. I would've kept the Mate 9 if it had an IPXX rating.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    01-16-2017 02:43 PM
    I think you should keep them both and switch back and forth. I have the OPO3t and S7 edge and Mate 9 and 7+. I just pop the sim out of one and put it into whatever one I feel like using.....
    Amen. I thought I was the only one that did this 😀😀😀
    jamezr likes this.
    01-16-2017 09:35 PM
    I think you should keep them both and switch back and forth. I have the OPO3t and S7 edge and Mate 9 and 7+. I just pop the sim out of one and put it into whatever one I feel like using.....
    I'm doing this now but with an iPhone in the mix. How do you keep all your text between devices?
    jamezr and libra89 like this.
    01-16-2017 10:13 PM
    I'm doing this now but with an iPhone in the mix. How do you keep all your text between devices?
    I don't transfer text history between them. Everyone I text is in my contacts list. So that is synced through Google contacts. For me text history is not relevant. But I think some use SMS Backup.
    libra89 and badMojo69 like this.
    01-17-2017 06:27 AM
    Cell Phones with a Carrier Contract and Unlocked Phones

You can return or exchange cell phones with a carrier contract and unlocked phones within 14 days. Like the carrier stores, we have a charge ($35) for return or exchange of these products. This return period and charge also applies if you are a My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus member.

Best Buy Return & Exchange Policy - Best Buy
    The only way it doesnt apply a restocking fee at best buy if the phone is defective then it will waive the restocking fee just FYI
    01-17-2017 09:43 PM
    I really tried to like Samsungs take on Android... but .... After several bought and returned devices ... I always come back to my Huaweis'.
    Gayle Lynn and libra89 like this.
    01-23-2017 12:54 AM

The fact that this is a decision should tell u something.
    01-27-2017 09:38 PM
    At this point in game, Huawei and wait see with Galaxy S8 couple months from now.

I always bought Samsung and had planned to pick up Note 7 in October before recall. Now glad how it ended.

EMUI 5 or Huawei has done a nice job with Android OS which Samsung I felt wasn't quite right. Reminds me more how iOS runs.
    01-28-2017 12:00 AM
    I'm loving the Mate 9 - I came from an S7 Edge. The only thing I miss is the safety net of the IPxx rating (not that I ever used it), other than that the Mate 9 is the better phone for me. The screen is amazing, it might be a lower resolution on paper but in practice I can't really tell the difference and the extra size is really appreciated. I was never a fan of the curved screen as it just feels like wasted space and made the phone hard to grip. The Mate 9 screen feels gargantuan by comparison and that's a good thing in my book. The sound quality from the internal speakers is leaps and bounds better than the S7, not sure how they've managed to squeeze such a great sound out of such tiny speakers but I continue to be impressed by them.

Battery life is way better on the Mate 9, now that I've got over the initial 'new phone syndrome' I am able to come home from work with 40% battery left which was just unthinkable with the S7 - it would usually be on its last legs!

Someone mentioned about avoiding the Mate if you want to use Samsung Smartwatches? All I can say is I've not found that to be the case at all... I've got a Gear S3 that I was using with my S7 previously and it works just the same on my Mate 9. I can even download new watch faces and apps from the Samsung store on the Mate 9 and sync my fitness data to the S Health app on there too.

The fact it comes with a 3 year warranty and 3 month accidental damage cover is just the icing on the cake!
    Dimas de Leon likes this.
    01-30-2017 09:33 AM
    Just migrated from the Note 7 Verizon to the Mate 9 AT&T. Now a week in and I love the Mate 9. Battery life is amazing, screen turned up bright rivals the Note 7 and I finally got used to the opposite button placement. I do defiantly miss a dedicated home button and of course the loss of the stylus. The only quirks so far are the navigation key does not appear as rapidly as I would like. Wish I could change the color to something bolder.

Also when holding the phone in my left hand and typing/tapping with my right finger. The phone sounds kind of hollow. I think it might be the factory screen protector. I'm using ADW launcher 2 Beta and it's great. Oh almost forgot I carried two phones on Verizon and dreamed of a dual sim phone. The dual sim capability is AWESOME! I just have to remember to press the correct icon when returning texts. I love it.

I should also add at first I liked the Edge feature of the Note 7 but after a while I had no use for it. It actually made dragging from either side difficult since the screen protector created a multi level surface on the edge. Does anyone know how to change the sim card icon colors? Back to the topic. I would keep the Mate 9 hands down. Also apparently the S8 is coming out March 31 and with a 6.2 inch screen!! Wait for that.
    stylon69 likes this.
    01-30-2017 10:50 AM
    Just migrated from the Note 7 Verizon to the Mate 9 AT&T. Now a week in and I love the Mate 9. Battery life is amazing, screen turned up bright rivals the Note 7 and I finally got used to the opposite button placement. I do defiantly miss a dedicated home button and of course the loss of the stylus. The only quirks so far are the navigation key does not appear as rapidly as I would like. Wish I could change the color to something bolder.
    If you don't like the way the Mate 9 buttons are arranged, you can change them to match those of the Note 7.
    01-30-2017 11:55 AM
    Someone mentioned about avoiding the Mate if you want to use Samsung Smartwatches? All I can say is I've not found that to be the case at all... I've got a Gear S3 that I was using with my S7 previously and it works just the same on my Mate 9. I can even download new watch faces and apps from the Samsung store on the Mate 9 and sync my fitness data to the S Health app on there too.
    It works fine if all you want is to receive notifications and not quick reply to them. I had a S3 and had to send it back. I use my watch a ton to quick reply to text I get. It's much faster than pulling out my phone, unlocking the screen, opening the text and typing the reply. And if it's quite I'll just voice reply. Not being able to do that with a $300 watch on a $600+ phone was a deal breaker.
    01-30-2017 06:55 PM
    It works fine if all you want is to receive notifications and not quick reply to them. I had a S3 and had to send it back. I use my watch a ton to quick reply to text I get. It's much faster than pulling out my phone, unlocking the screen, opening the text and typing the reply. And if it's quite I'll just voice reply. Not being able to do that with a $300 watch on a $600+ phone was a deal breaker.
    I do that too, not tried it with SMS messages as most people I know don't bother with them any more but I can quick reply from WhatsApp on my watch for sure.
    01-31-2017 02:13 AM
    Yea I stay away from anything Facebook related. People have to hit me up old school.
    01-31-2017 06:49 AM
66 123