I have the Mate 9 and S7 edge...which one should I keep?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I purchased both of them on the same day, both unlocked and working on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure which one to keep. I love the Mate 9's 4000 mAh battery, Android 7.0, and the 5.9 inch screen and it's definitely the best big phone I've used since the Note7, but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal.

Yes, I know this is a first world problem and it's a problem most people don't get to have, but I can only keep one of the phones anyways. Which one would you keep?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, what features are important to you? Not everyone's needs are the same. And not everyone's answer, therefore, will be the same. Think of it this way: what are your deal breakers? Does either fail on them? If not, the rest is probably close to being a coin flip.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had both - actually bought the S7 Edge twice. For me, although the the S7 did some things really, really well its achilles heal was TouchWiz. Not its interface (which I liked), but it just slowed the phone down a little bit so it wasn't as zippy. I really wanted it to work for me too - which is why I bought the phone twice (the second time was after I had to return my Note 7).

Like you, my issue was also a first world problem but it was annoying enough to me to ultimately sell the phone. So far, I'm really happy with the Mate.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had both - actually bought the S7 Edge twice. For me, although the the S7 did some things really, really well its achilles heal was TouchWiz. Not its interface (which I liked), but it just slowed the phone down a little bit so it wasn't as zippy. I really wanted it to work for me too - which is why I bought the phone twice (the second time was after I had to return my Note 7).

Like you, my issue was also a first world problem but it was annoying enough to me to ultimately sell the phone. So far, I'm really happy with the Mate.

Nova Launcher takes care of the TouchWiz issues. I'm leaning towards the Mate 9 just because I think it's a good Note replacement (sans s pen).

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I ran Nova Launcher almost all the time on the S7 Edge. Maybe I am wrong but it just didn't feel as snappy as the Mate, Pixel or even the V20.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Screen size for me- after the Note 7 was returned I had nothing except the V20 to use. I just got the Mate a couple of days ago, SNAPPY my GAWD. I don't think I'd be happy with anything smaller than a 6.7-ish screen, even with Samsung's bells and whistles (which I LOVE)...

Short story long, battery and size...I keep Mate 9

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I keep finding things to love about Mate.

Lighter than a iPhone 6S+, more screen, easier to hold for me with wider size.

Battery life.
Has features I missed from Note II days.
Price.

Notifications work better.
Launcher. Use to use Nova too.
7.x

I tried Galaxy S7 twice, iPhones, BB DTEK50 & 60. Lsst year. Was planning on Note7 but we know what happened.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Screen size for me- after the Note 7 was returned I had nothing except the V20 to use. I just got the Mate a couple of days ago, SNAPPY my GAWD. I don't think I'd be happy with anything smaller than a 6.7-ish screen, even with Samsung's bells and whistles (which I LOVE)...

Short story long, battery and size...I keep Mate 9

I'll be getting the S8 anyways, which will be out in a few months anyway, so I'll keep my Mate 9 for now and return the S7 edge.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I purchased both of them on the same day, both unlocked and working on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure which one to keep. I love the Mate 9's 4000 mAh battery, Android 7.0, and the 5.9 inch screen and it's definitely the best big phone I've used since the Note7, but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal.

Yes, I know this is a first world problem and it's a problem most people don't get to have, but I can only keep one of the phones anyways. Which one would you keep?

I think you should keep them both and switch back and forth. I have the OPO3t and S7 edge and Mate 9 and 7+. I just pop the sim out of one and put it into whatever one I feel like using.....

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I think you should keep them both and switch back and forth. I have the OPO3t and S7 edge and Mate 9 and 7+. I just pop the sim out of one and put it into whatever one I feel like using.....

I can afford only one to keep. I'm currently in a 14 day return period for both phones from Best Buy.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
$35 restocking fee at BB...sucks
If you use smart watches keep the S7 if not keep the M9.
I've had both and I could never stand the way the S7 felt in hand. I ended up giving it to my wife and she loves it.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had both and I could never stand the way the S7 felt in hand. I ended up giving it to my wife and she loves it.
The S7 or the Edge? The Edge for me was never fully comfortable.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Does the Mate 9 not play well with smart watches?

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Does the Mate 9 not play well with smart watches?

Oh yea, but if you're into Smart Watches IMOP it's better to have a Samsung phone since they make the best Smart Watch (IMOP). I know you can now use the tizen watches on non Samsung phones, but it's not full featured. You can on the other hand use full Androidwear on Samsung phones.

Anyway I prefer the gear watches over the Android watches.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site