I have the Mate 9 and S7 edge...which one should I keep?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Best Buy doesn't have a restocking fee yet.
How I wish that were true but I can assure you that at least here, in Maryland, they do have a restocking fee on unlocked phones. Ranging from $20-$35. ...guess it depends on the mood the sales clerk is in. They charged me $20 when I returned the Honor 8 and $35 when I returned the Xperia X. I didn't argue since I wasn't in the mood and got to play with the phones that they may no longer be able to sell as "new".

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Umm yes they do. Since August last year. I just too my M9 back and hit with that hidden $35 fee. Needless to say I wasn't happy.

Since the note 7 debacle I have returned a iPhone 7 plus, pixel 7, and Moto z play at best buy with no restocking fee. I'm in Kansas. Wonder if it's different state by state.

tsquare2112

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have an S7edge (on device payment with ATT). I switched from Verizon about a month ago so I could order unlocked phones. I ordered an honor 8 from Amazon, but it just didn't fit me, I returned it and orders a OnePlus 3t. I got tired of waiting 3 weeks to get it, so I canceled it and ordered a mate 9. I will keep the S7edge since it's on a device payment plan, and Incase someone launches a decent phone on ATT. I love the mate 9. It's fast, battery is amazing, the entire package works for me. Having a factory installed screen protector and case in the box is a big selling point for me. I've never been a big fan of the TouchWiz on Samsung phones. The feel of the S7edge is not the greatest for me either. I'm fortunate to be able to keep both. I may end up ordering another op3t since I have a decent phone to use until it gets here.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Since the note 7 debacle I have returned a iPhone 7 plus, pixel 7, and Moto z play at best buy with no restocking fee. I'm in Kansas. Wonder if it's different state by state.

Cell Phones with a Carrier Contract and Unlocked Phones

You can return or exchange cell phones with a carrier contract and unlocked phones within 14 days. Like the carrier stores, we have a charge ($35) for return or exchange of these products. This return period and charge also applies if you are a My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus member.

Best Buy Return & Exchange Policy - Best Buy

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Cell Phones with a Carrier Contract and Unlocked Phones

You can return or exchange cell phones with a carrier contract and unlocked phones within 14 days. Like the carrier stores, we have a charge ($35) for return or exchange of these products. This return period and charge also applies if you are a My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus member.

Best Buy Return & Exchange Policy - Best Buy

OK, that's great. I guess I should feel lucky. I've never been charged a restocking fee at best buy.

Michael Clark6

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I purchased both of them on the same day, both unlocked and working on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure which one to keep. I love the Mate 9's 4000 mAh battery, Android 7.0, and the 5.9 inch screen and it's definitely the best big phone I've used since the Note7, but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal.

Yes, I know this is a first world problem and it's a problem most people don't get to have, but I can only keep one of the phones anyways. Which one would you keep?

I'm in the exact same situation, lol. The deal breaker with the mate 9 for me is the "themes". I think every phone should give the option for a "light" or "dark" theme. I prefer "black" backgrounds over "white". And when I say "black", I mean settings, contacts, dialer, messages etc.... Not just 1or 2 of these. And another issue I am having is within the messaging app. When I send a group message with a photo attached, the quality of the photo is really bad. I might have to give the 3t a try.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
...but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal. Which one would you keep?

Personally for me, i would go with the Galaxy S7. Simply because it's got a nice IP68 Rating, its got a good low light camera AND the screen size is much more manageable. My hands are fairly small and a 5.9" inch screen is too big. I prefer the Mate 9's design and really big battery, but overall i think the S7 would be the better choice.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
How I wish that were true but I can assure you that at least here, in Maryland, they do have a restocking fee on unlocked phones. Ranging from $20-$35. ...guess it depends on the mood the sales clerk is in. They charged me $20 when I returned the Honor 8 and $35 when I returned the Xperia X. I didn't argue since I wasn't in the mood and got to play with the phones that they may no longer be able to sell as "new".

Depends on why the item is being returned. If it is "I bought 7 phones and didn't like these 6," you'll definitely get restocking fees. ;)

If it is "Well, this is defective," they should waive it.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I purchased both of them on the same day, both unlocked and working on T-Mobile, and I'm not sure which one to keep. I love the Mate 9's 4000 mAh battery, Android 7.0, and the 5.9 inch screen and it's definitely the best big phone I've used since the Note7, but I love the SAMOLED display on the S7 edge as well as the IP68 rating. I think the low light photos are a little better on the S7 edge as well, but that's not a big deal.

Yes, I know this is a first world problem and it's a problem most people don't get to have, but I can only keep one of the phones anyways. Which one would you keep?

It depends on what you're looking for. I had both as well until recently.

Mate 9:
Better battery life, better performance, newer chipset, bigger screen, USB Type C, better speakers, Leica cameras setup is pretty fun to play with too.

S7 Edge:
More compact, Higher resolution AMOLED panel, nicer looking software design, IP68, superb camera performance, VR ecosystem, Samsung Pay.

Personally I really like the Mate 9, but the software design could use a bit of work. Even if you can use a stock looking icon pack, and have app drawer, or slap a launcher on it, some aspects of the phone are just too heavily themed. Like how they slaughtered the material design floating action button. But the performance is really faultless in my time with it. If I wanted a bigger screen phone, this would definitely be in my consideration. Where I live Huawei provides a more competitive warranty package too.

S7 Edge would be my choice here, because it's just such a well rounded package for the most part. Camera and display is right at the top of the pack along with IP68. The software design is actually pretty decent too even on the Nougat beta. But, it's too far along in its cycle to me to get one now for me. Especially with the next generation of flagship phones on their way.

Design wise I find both just as good looking, so again, it's preference.

But frankly if you're not someone who changes phone frequently, then it doesn't matter anyway. Just weigh what you like and dislike about each phone, and then see what you can live with, and what you can't live without. :)

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll say this with the S8 being right round the corner (given everything I've said) I'd hold off if I did not want the 9. We're just too close to the S8 pay full price for last years phone. We're not a situation of waiting for a better version, because it's pretty much here in March. If I was to pick up a S7E it would be used. The 9 would hold you over until the N9 comes out.

cortezi

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
i'm doing a trial run of the Mate 9 and comparing to my S7E (Exynos). S7E was to be a backup for my Note 7; however, the S7E has been a daily driver for 8 months now. i'm not a fan of "the S7E curved screen" but i've dealt with it because the S7E was the better option for my needs. (for me) the Mate 9 is a very capable substitute for my Note 7 (withdrawal symptoms, lol) until the Note X is available later this year. the one huge fail (for me) is Google Voice (GV) integration... i can't make calls with my GV number and the option to "choose which number to make a call" is woefully inconsistent and works 2 out of 10 times. if i can't resolve this issue, i'll have to go back to my S7E.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So did you decide to keep the S7 Edge and return the Mate 9?

I decided to keep the S7 edge, actually. The overall package of the S7 edge is better for me (better low light photos, IP68 rating, QHD SAMOLED display). I love the Mate 9, but the S7 edge is more practical for me because I work outdoors. I would've kept the Mate 9 if it had an IPXX rating.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I think you should keep them both and switch back and forth. I have the OPO3t and S7 edge and Mate 9 and 7+. I just pop the sim out of one and put it into whatever one I feel like using.....

I'm doing this now but with an iPhone in the mix. How do you keep all your text between devices?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing this now but with an iPhone in the mix. How do you keep all your text between devices?

I don't transfer text history between them. Everyone I text is in my contacts list. So that is synced through Google contacts. For me text history is not relevant. But I think some use SMS Backup.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante