Finally got for my phone for the next 6+months.

anon(9023234)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
After a month of trial and error, I settled on the Mate 9. It'll be my phone at least until the S8 comes out.

My S7E was the first phone I had for over 12 months and it served me well, but was also pretty beaten up, so I took advantage of a T-Mobile Jump eligibility to get my wife a new iPhone.

For myself I tried:
  • Honor 8. Great little phone, but the Mate 9 was more my fit.
  • Google Pixel. (XL wasn't available, so I guess that would make the Pixel a "Rip off price" phone according to that other thread). Kidding aside, it is a good phone, but the camera for my use was not comparable to the S7E, and no other function justified the price. Maybe if I had tried the XL, I would have seen it differently, but the camera and overall feel of the phone was just not that appealing to me .

Anywho, very exited about the Mate 9, but manageable, screen is fine, camera is good (not S7E good though), everything is flying, and if it wasn't for lack of waterproof, I would probably keep it longer than when the S8 comes out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it. I bought the pixel xl in blue and got it like three to four days later... Maybe i got lucky. I also paid $319 on contract for the pixel xl and traded it for a black one for $150 so i essentially only paid $169 for it.

The mate 9 looks great, someday if I can get it for significantly less than what u paid for my pixel xl then i would get it, since it isn't specd to my needs.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
After a month of trial and error, I settled on the Mate 9. It'll be my phone at least until the S8 comes out.

My S7E was the first phone I had for over 12 months and it served me well, but was also pretty beaten up, so I took advantage of a T-Mobile Jump eligibility to get my wife a new iPhone.

For myself I tried:
  • Honor 8. Great little phone, but the Mate 9 was more my fit.
  • Google Pixel. (XL wasn't available, so I guess that would make the Pixel a "Rip off price" phone according to that other thread). Kidding aside, it is a good phone, but the camera for my use was not comparable to the S7E, and no other function justified the price. Maybe if I had tried the XL, I would have seen it differently, but the camera and overall feel of the phone was just not that appealing to me .

Anywho, very exited about the Mate 9, but manageable, screen is fine, camera is good (not S7E good though), everything is flying, and if it wasn't for lack of waterproof, I would probably keep it longer than when the S8 comes out.

Interesting comments on the camera. I really like the Mate 9 but am considering going back to my Pixel XL BECAUSE of the camera (I have both). It just seems like every picture taken with it comes our wonderfully clear. I had the S7 Edge too (sold it after getting the Mate 9) and still think the Pixel offers the best camera. Not arguing - just interesting how people have different perspectives.

anon(9023234)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting comments on the camera. I really like the Mate 9 but am considering going back to my Pixel XL BECAUSE of the camera (I have both). It just seems like every picture taken with it comes our wonderfully clear. I had the S7 Edge too (sold it after getting the Mate 9) and still think the Pixel offers the best camera. Not arguing - just interesting how people have different perspectives.

Yeah, I read so much great about the Pixel camera and I did manage to take great pictures occasionally, it just wasn't as consistent and effortless as the S7E. So for the price the M9 just looked good. And so far very happy with it.

mswierse

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I am reading all the comments about how good the Mate 9 camera is, but I just don't see it. I've had my phone for a week and may return it due to the camera.

In 20 mp mode, it's unusable almost. Every picture I take if blurry when you zoom in. Horrible detail composites to my note edge. Maybe there is something wrong with my phone physically?

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Are your pictures blurry even when taken in a well lit area? If so, I would guess you do have am issue with the phone. Even though I think the Pixel takes better pictures, I have to admit in well lit situations, the Mate takes a good shot too. Not blurry at all, even when zoomed in. Maybe return and exchange it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance