Google Wifi Mesh Connectivity Issue

anon(9023234)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
So a bit of a weird one, and maybe not a typical use case for most people. But, I have a Google Wifi mesh setup, and it generally works OK. However, the Mate 9 seems to have significantly degraded connection when switching between mesh points. It still shows up with full network connectivity, but everything internet related runs very slow. If I turn wifi on/off it picks up again, but only until I move around again to another room within a different mesh point coverage. Doesn't happen to any other devices.

Anyone seen something similar either with Google Wifi or other bridged wifi network setups?

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Google wifi setup, but I am using Ubiquiti wifi setup. I don't see any issue yet. You probably at the borderline between the handoff to the next closest access point where signal is not low enough to drop. I wouldn't say it is an issue and I don't think it has anything to do with Mate 9. It is the access point decision to drop you off from one and hand off to the next best. Yes, you will have to move around to trigger that event. I think, this is true from any mesh network.

anon(9023234)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't have Google wifi setup, but I am using Ubiquiti wifi setup. I don't see any issue yet. You probably at the borderline between the handoff to the next closest access point where signal is not low enough to drop. I wouldn't say it is an issue and I don't think it has anything to do with Mate 9. It is the access point decision to drop you off from one and hand off to the next best. Yes, you will have to move around to trigger that event. I think, this is true from any mesh network.

Your comment makes sense, except I don't have the issue with any other devices. I figured it's a bit on the fringe side of issue, but i'm glad to hear others don't experience it. I'll keep monitoring and see if things change.

samsungnian

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Your comment makes sense, except I don't have the issue with any other devices. I figured it's a bit on the fringe side of issue, but i'm glad to hear others don't experience it. I'll keep monitoring and see if things change.

Perhaps, the Mate 9 is doing such a good job with the signal that makes the access point thinks it didn't need to hand off yet. While the other devices dropped below the threshold sooner and AP handed off to the next closest AP. With that said, this could be the Mate 9 is doing such a good job that actually is bad for the wireless performance in your situation.

anon(9023234)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps, the Mate 9 is doing such a good job with the signal that makes the access point thinks it didn't need to hand off yet. While the other devices dropped below the threshold sooner and AP handed off to the next closest AP. With that said, this could be the Mate 9 is doing such a good job that actually is bad for the wireless performance in your situation.

Ah, didn't think of that. The M9 does otherwise and in all other places have great signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca