A few reasons why I keep coming back to the Mate 9

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I know someone else on AC and WC that just bought the Mate 9.
Don't think they have it yet...be interesting to read his opinion about the M9.

I told him he'll love the phone...hope I didn't jinx it for him :(

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any issues with low light pics? I notice you get some great ones. I definitely notice a difference(compared to the Pixel, which isn't fair to be honest).

Low light photos are my only issue with this phone, my wife's nexus 6p kicks this phone butt in low light. You can get some great low light photos but not without going into manual mode and using a tripod.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Low light photos are my only issue with this phone, my wife's nexus 6p kicks this phone butt in low light. You can get some great low light photos but not without going into manual mode and using a tripod.

Interesting. Sounds like maybe this could be fixed with a software update?

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Sounds like maybe this could be fixed with a software update?

I doubt there us much they can do with an f 2.2 lens. They would need some serious HDR to help with that. HDR on the Mate is lacking compared to the competition and isn't automatic.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I doubt there us much they can do with an f 2.2 lens. They would need some serious HDR to help with that. HDR on the Mate is lacking compared to the competition and isn't automatic.

That kinda sucks. Hopefully they will at least improve hdr mode.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm really interested in the Mate 9 but two things are holding me back, the software (I'm coming from Moto XPE/near stock android) and the lack of waterproofing. I'm really used to minimalist skin or pure Android (still using Nexus 10 tablet) and I think the software change/added skin is the biggest drawback for me. All the other specs - great battery, camera, screen are making me strongly consider the Mate 9. Is the skin ok and does Huawei support updates? Thanks.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
5 hrs sot and 70% left. How many phones can do that?

5.8" screen real estate. Would love to see more but hey.

There were 4 updates. Bought it Jan 5th from Amazon. So yes it does.
Would like to see 7.11 and EMUI 5.1 but at least seems to get essential security update.

Wickedly fast fps.

Paying is more reliable fast and easy without even installed Android Pay, even than iPhone 6S Plus.

It felt too fat and heavy with case so went without. 190 grams is not a lite phone. There are times I pickup my BlackBerry DTEK 60 but that is sluggish by comparison, same Samsung S7.
I have a small light 5" phone as handy backup that I use too. If pickup Mate 9 Lite, but Amazon doesn't see USA warranty model.

Will Mate 10 be announced in Sept and ship Jan '18, I'll pick one up.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

5.8" screen real estate. Would love to see more but hey.

There were 4 updates. Bought it Jan 5th from Amazon. So yes it does.
Would like to see 7.11 and EMUI 5.1 but at least seems to get essential security update.

Wickedly fast fps.

Paying is more reliable fast and easy without even installed Android Pay, even than iPhone 6S Plus.

It felt too fat and heavy with case so went without. 190 grams is not a lite phone. There are times I pickup my BlackBerry DTEK 60 but that is sluggish by comparison, same Samsung S7.
I have a small light 5" phone as handy backup that I use too. If pickup Mate 9 Lite, but Amazon doesn't see USA warranty model.

Will Mate 10 be announced in Sept and ship Jan '18, I'll pick one up.

Wow, 5 hours SOT with 70% battery life remaining is crazy good. That's like 16-17 hours SOT with a full battery drain. Reminds me of my Moto Z Play Droid though that has a less capable CPU. Are these typical numbers that people are seeing?

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Honor 9 - don't count it out. Huawei promises "more to come" this fall, too.

For every hour sot mine uses ~5% and that's no joke. Much better after last update, but was good before, too, less than but closer to 10% per hour.

And I don't take any measure to conserve battery.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Honor 9 - don't count it out. Huawei promises "more to come" this fall, too.

For every hour sot mine uses ~5% and that's no joke. Much better after last update, but was good before, too, less than but closer to 10% per hour.

And I don't take any measure to conserve battery.

That's really great battery life! Beats any other flagship out there by a lot!

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow reading the replies here it seems amazing. I've only had Samsung's and currently have the s7edge.. But waiting for note 8.
Im looking for loud speaker long battery and the best camera. Also would like hdmi (for projectors) and infra red control.
Your thoughts

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow, it does sound great. Any issues with EMUI (heard its geared to Chinese consumer so therefor hard to get used to for us Westerners) and the lack of being waterproof?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow, it does sound great. Any issues with EMUI (heard its geared to Chinese consumer so therefor hard to get used to for us Westerners) and the lack of being waterproof?

Emui 5. Should be fine for those of us who are more familiar with regular Android

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on the Amazon Prime deal for the Mate d I'm excited to start using it. Should arrive today!

Awesome! That's pretty fast shipping. Did you pick next day shipping? Let us know how you like the phone when you get it!

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

THAT is insane! I'm getting really good battery but nothing like that. I typically don't use my phone as much though I've gotten 5 hrs/2 days and 3 hours/3 days out of it so far. Only got mine a few weeks ago.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
THAT is insane! I'm getting really good battery but nothing like that. I typically don't use my phone as much though I've gotten 5 hrs/2 days and 3 hours/3 days out of it so far. Only got mine a few weeks ago.

When you say 5 hours/ 2 days, are you saying 5 hours total over 2 days,or 5 hours on average over 2 days?

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Next day shipping on Amazon Prime and this time it was free. It did arrive yesterday, but with one issue. I just missed the delivery and they sent it back to the distribution center until I answered where I wanted it left. The phone did arrive later that evening, but I had just enough time to set it up.

First impressions though are this is an awesome phone! I immediately appreciated the fit and finish and the upscale feel of the phone. Very solid and well put together. Also, for a 5.9" inch screen I was shocked with how easy it was to handle. My Moto XPE has a smaller 5.7" inch screen but the Mate 9 was much easier to handle one handed and had a slightly smaller footprint in comparison.

I downloaded the Google Launcher and set it as my default launcher and as of now, it feels like a typical Android phone. So far very impressed - great screen (watched Amazon Prime and it was very bright), super fast fingerprint scanner, nice speakers and super snappy/responsive doing routine searches.

A couple of issues I need to work out though - it doesn't read my microsd card and says it needs to reformat it, which will delete everything on it. Definitely don't want to do that, so hopefully I can figure it out and secondly - its saying I don't have a mobile data plan, but its reading my sim (name and number). Looking into registering it on AT&T when I get home today. Hopefully that does it.

Overall, great hardware and still need to figure out the software/camera. Very impressed though!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz