Upon close inspection, screen scratches (at least for me and I am easy on phones)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This was the first phone I decided that I decided to ultimately go with no screen protector.

I took off the factory one about a month in. I put on a new one. It was just okay but didn't seem to fit right. Took it off for about a week. Then, I was going to do some international travel so I bought a different brand protector and put it on. When I got back to U.S. last week, I took it off.

Now, because I am a phone geek, I bought a new phone and decided to sell this one. I had already typed up the Swappa ad but needed to take some pictures.

It's then when I noticed lots of little scratches on the screen and one slightly more signigicant one.

Yes, I know scratches can happen for all sorts of reasons. The more significant one was probably just an unlucky incident. However, I didn't expect all the little scratches especially from what I would consider maybe 4-6 weeks of exposure.

I don't drop phones. I keep cases on my phones. I don't do careless things in general with my phones. I am always aware of where I put it and how I set it down.

Back to using screen protectors, I guess. This is mostly an "FYI" but open to discussion too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, even something like a speck of sand can scratch the screen, so it doesn't really Surprise me. A tempered glass screen protector is a good investment for sure if you want to keep your screen mint. Or in your case avoid further damage.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
A tempered glass screen protector is a good investment for sure if you want to keep your screen mint. Or in your case avoid further damage.

I usually use tempered glass protectors because they offer the next best thing to going bare. However, on this Mate 9, there really aren't any good ones available. The curving of the screen makes it tough. I bought a couple and ended up just not using them. The fit was... weird. I'm discovering similar fit issues when it comes to the Galaxy S8+. I went ahead with a film protector so I don't have this problem again.

My Mate sold in one day despite my disclosure of the scratches. Didn't make a lot on it but someone else can enjoy it now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I usually use tempered glass protectors because they offer the next best thing to going bare. However, on this Mate 9, there really aren't any good ones available. The curving of the screen makes it tough. I bought a couple and ended up just not using them. The fit was... weird. I'm discovering similar fit issues when it comes to the Galaxy S8+. I went ahead with a film protector so I don't have this problem again.

My Mate sold in one day despite my disclosure of the scratches. Didn't make a lot on it but someone else can enjoy it now.

Yeah the curved edge screens make tempered glass screen protectors difficult. They tend to have a halo at the edges or tend to be too small. Guess the question is how picky you are about having a well fitting screen protector, and also how important resell is.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the curved edge screens make tempered glass screen protectors difficult. They tend to have a halo at the edges or tend to be too small. Guess the question is how picky you are about having a well fitting screen protector, and also how important resell is.

My biggest problem with those glass protectors is, like you said, they really have to be too small. Then, you find yourself swiping over the edge of them all the time which is a really bad experience.

Another thing I didn't mention was finding a good film protector for the Mate wasn't easy either. I ended up getting one through eBay that was the best. None of the major film companies want to make one for the Mate. They consider it a low volume phone (I asked).

Since I cycle through phones a lot, I need to keep that resell in mind.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My biggest problem with those glass protectors is, like you said, they really have to be too small. Then, you find yourself swiping over the edge of them all the time which is a really bad experience.

Another thing I didn't mention was finding a good film protector for the Mate wasn't easy either. I ended up getting one through eBay that was the best. None of the major film companies want to make one for the Mate. They consider it a low volume phone (I asked).

Since I cycle through phones a lot, I need to keep that resell in mind.

Yeah i am the same as you. Resell is very important to me too. Unfortunately the mate 9 sells in very small numbers in the USA at least relative to other major USA flagships so that's probably why the major USA film makers didn't make something for it. Just the way it goes when you buy a lesser known phone, at least as far as the USA is concerned.

With regards to tempered glass, i prefer the halo to too small as the halo should still give you access to the screen.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Dropped mine in a Spigen Ruff Armor case sitting in a chair on a vinyl tile (soft surface) floor, less than 2 feet and the screen cracked. My LG V20 has been dropped a dozen times in a parking lot, on the sidewalk, down a few stairs and not a scratch on it. And I was just about to put my Mate 9 up for sale this weekend :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Dropped mine in a Spigen Ruff Armor case sitting in a chair on a vinyl tile (soft surface) floor, less than 2 feet and the screen cracked. My LG V20 has been dropped a dozen times in a parking lot, on the sidewalk, down a few stairs and not a scratch on it. And I was just about to put my Mate 9 up for sale this weekend :(

Oh wow that sucks! Hopefully you have insurance.

Does the case have a thick lip?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No no insurance, bought it from B&H Photo, the case has a fairly thick edge around it, it's not totally cracked one hairline crack on the bottom. Never had a problem with any Spigen case I've owned in the past.

csetoue

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on a V20 now. Did you move from V20 to Mate 9?

Im thinking in doing this. Which one is your daily driver today?

Basically, I'm thinking to move to Mate 9 because of the Leica stuff and supposedly because Mate 9 is faster.

Not sure about if it's worthy.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Wow, that sucks!!

I read that it's actually possible to sell damaged phones on eBay. Obviously not going to get as much now.

You sound like you drop phones in general. Maybe a square trade warranty next time? I get them periodically but I have never actuallly made a claim so I can't say how good they are.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No no insurance, bought it from B&H Photo, the case has a fairly thick edge around it, it's not totally cracked one hairline crack on the bottom. Never had a problem with any Spigen case I've owned in the past.

Wow that sucks having no insurance. Have you tried to contact Huawei to see how much an out of warranty screen repair would cost?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that sucks!!

I read that it's actually possible to sell damaged phones on eBay. Obviously not going to get as much now.

You sound like you drop phones in general. Maybe a square trade warranty next time? I get them periodically but I have never actuallly made a claim so I can't say how good they are.

You can sell on eBay or Swappa graveyard or even Android Central.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... got a new Chromebook and am seriously considering selling one of my Galaxy Tabs. (yeah, "one of"... I have an Android addicition problem)

:-[

The nice thing about Android Central marketplace is there are no fees, other than PayPal fees of course. And you still get PayPal protection when you buy or sell so long as you follow their policies.

Also, I think we need to rename Android Central to Android Anonymous.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The nice thing about Android Central marketplace is there are no fees, other than PayPal fees of course. And you still get PayPal protection when you buy or sell so long as you follow their policies.

Very good to know. I think I might try it.

Also, I think we need to rename Android Central to Android Anonymous.

Maybe that's an idea for a new section.

... but that assumes we need to quit. :D

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes I sold quite a few phones on Swappa, never used the boneyard. For the price I would have to sell it on the Boneyard, I'll just keep it, the screen is not shattered, it's a single small hairline crack on the bottom from where the word "Huawei" is over to the left edge. If my Mate 9 didn't have a white front I wouldn't have even known it was cracked.